Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-05-2011, 05:57 AM   #1  
<3

S/C/G: ???/???/150

Height: 5'5

Default Weight Watcher's Smart Ones

I'm not sure if I should be eating these or not. Calories are 290 and the sodium is 750mg and the sugar is 2g.

I'm not really a food genius so I'm not sure what is healthy or not. I just look at the calories!

So my question is..is it okay to have one a day? I like to eat these for dinner sometimes along with some veggies. But if they're not good for me...then I don't wanna ruin my diet with these.

I also take less than 1,100 calories a day. Just fyi!
Jynxmekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

1100 is very low, particularly if you are near the start of your weight loss journey. I eat closer to 1500 calories myself. You might want to post a separate question asking for help to determine a good daily calorie goal unless you have reason to believe that this is a good level for you (for example, through experience or consultation with a doctor).

Regarding the packaged diet meals, they do tend to be high in sodium, so that can be a potential health problem. Some people find them helpful, but I do not. I usually eat healthy foods with lots of veggies, some fruit/lean meats/NF daily and a very little bit of whole grain. Prepackaged meals, even Kashis (which are closest to my WOE), tend to throw me off. But again, YMMV -- some people find them helpful in reaching their calorie goals without spending too much time in the kitchen.

Last edited by yoyoma; 06-05-2011 at 07:37 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

That's a lot of sodium!

Personally I'm biased against packaged, frozen meals like that. I think they are nutrient-deficient and not satisfying to me. The way I see dieting is- if I can only have 1200 calories (or whatever your intake is) a day, they better taste DARN GOOD! I would much rather have 290 calories of a homemade vegetable quiche or pizza with fresh mozzarella and whole wheat bread than a frozen reheatable meal. I get fuller/more satisfied when I eat whole foods and am less likely to crave junk food/other packaged foods.

But that's just me. You may find it works just fine for you- it's a personal decision
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I think it is OK to eat them , but watch out for the sodium, and do not make them your entire food source. If you do not cook, or are very busy, working long hours, they are better than fast foods.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 148/141.2/117

Height: 5' 6"

I think they are OK. I tend to cook breakfast & dinner and have something like that for lunch along with a salad. Would it be better to cook? Yes. But sometimes in the read world you have to work with convenience instead.

Gigi33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #6  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

I would not eat them everyday, just once in a while...
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #7  

For me the sodium would be fine if I weren't eating other packaged foods. OTOH, under 1100 calories would worry me, and I'm smaller than your goal weight.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #8  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

I keep them in the freezer as a back up plan, but I limit them to no more than 2 per week, if that. If I do have one of them, the rest of the day I watch my sodium carefully and avoid other packaged/processed foods. They are certainly not the worst thing out there, but they are not the best either.
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #9  
<3

S/C/G: ???/???/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma View Post
1100 is very low, particularly if you are near the start of your weight loss journey. I eat closer to 1500 calories myself. You might want to post a separate question asking for help to determine a good daily calorie goal unless you have reason to believe that this is a good level for you (for example, through experience or consultation with a doctor).

Regarding the packaged diet meals, they do tend to be high in sodium, so that can be a potential health problem. Some people find them helpful, but I do not. I usually eat healthy foods with lots of veggies, some fruit/lean meats/NF daily and a very little bit of whole grain. Prepackaged meals, even Kashis (which are closest to my WOE), tend to throw me off. But again, YMMV -- some people find them helpful in reaching their calorie goals without spending too much time in the kitchen.
Yes yes I know it's bad but I can't force myself to eat anymore. I get sick real bad. Trust me, I've tried to eat at least 1500 and I can't. I either get a stomach or I either throw it up. I think my body is just use to eating that much calories and I'm fine with that

I think I'm just gonna go a head and have two a week or something. I don't really eat big meals since I only eat small meals. So I don't think it will do my body that much harm since. But thanks everyone
Jynxmekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/167/140

Height: 5'2"

I keep a few cans of low sodium, low calorie soup on hand, too.
MonicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #11  
Just For Today

S/C/G: 287/170/155

Height: 5' 10"

I eat the Smart Ones for lunch almost 4 times a week. However I do drink alot of water (about 7 liters/day) so the sodium washes away. I've lost 80 lbs since January so they can't be all bad.
loserjulie is offline   Reply With Quote