Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-01-2011, 07:15 AM   #1  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Thumbs up June Running - DO IT!

Hey all you runners (new and old)! This is our place. A place where we log our experiences, challenges and most importantly SUCCESS! Come one...come all...JUST DO IT!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

I dragged my butt out of bed before the kids woke up this morning to run. That is a first. With it warming up outside, and me juggling three kids at three different baseball fields 4 to 5 days a week, I think this will be the only way I can keep up with my running.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

joyful did you just reach goal?? (checking out your signature). If so, CONGRATULATIONS!!!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #4  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Alright Joyfull!!!! You beat me to the thread this month!

6 miles for me this morning, I can't believe it's June already!!!! I've run 402 miles so far this year. Doing the math 1000 is still possible, but I'm going to have to work pretty hard to get it.

I'm "offically" back in weight loss mode. It's only 10 lbs and I suppose technically I'm still in my goal range, but I liked the lower range I was maintaining. No excuses, just some emotional stuggles with binging that I *think* I'm finally getting a handle on. The goal is the same - HAPPY WITH ME!

I'm finally not sick and just about injury free. My ankle and knee are feeling pretty good. I'm about 1/3 of the way into my more challenging half marathon training program and so far loving it!

It's also my birthday the month (birthday's are a BIG deal at my house) and my 7th wedding anniversary, so June has some pretty awesome things in store for me. I'm looking forward to July though, because I've decided whether I run it or not, I'm going to register for the LA marathon.

Have a great start to the month everyone! Kick some a$$!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #5  
MsWannaBSlim

S/C/G: 230/179/159 lbs

Height: 5' 4"

Hello All,
I'm way out of shape and I am fed up so I am starting a learn to run program. I It starts out with running two, walking four x 5 reps. It's embarrassing how hard it is for me, but it's just the first week and it's GOT to get easier. My legs are sore but I know it's for a good cause. Gonna keep it up. Have a good support group of friends who are all training for a 5 k charity run in October. I know I may not be able to run 5 k by then, but apparently lots of ladies walk and run so I'll just do my best and see how endurance goes. Happy to be active again!
MsWannaBSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #6  

I have been keeping track of my running through nike+ and last June, I only ran once!! So my goal this month is to run more than that! I have set my goal for 15 runs, 40 miles total. The catch is I will be away for 9 days, so I really only have 3 weeks to do it.
I also feel like my running is NOT helping at all in losing weight. Is my body used to it? This past month I have been working on speed a bit more, trying to get my avg pace from 10:50 down to 10:30. Maybe I still eat to much, I am often hungry a few hours after running and I might eat to much to compensate for the running calories I've burned. Any advice? I am always frustrated when people post about exercise success and since they are new to it, it is easier to lose weight from it. I already have a (somewhat) high level of fitness so it's harder to build MORE muscle and budge the scale. Any tips?
ncuneo, what 1/2 marathon program are you doing? I'm thinking of running one this fall.
Apple Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #7  
Closet health nut!

I can't remember which on it is. Last year I think I did the one from marathonrookie.com. This year I wanted to step it up and peak at at least 15 and get my weekly milage up so I can make a decision on whether or not I want to run a full.

In regards to you not losing weight, eating more because of running could certainly be the issue, but without know exactly what you're eating or how much you're running and what other exercise you are doing it's hard to say. When I stick to it I can usually lose pretty easily around 1700-1800 cals with a little extra on the weekends. But I'm running 20 miles or more per week and hitting the gym and doing yoga 2xs a week.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #8  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Apple Blossom-----

http://www.leighpeele.com/running-for-weight-loss
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #9  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Hello all I am new to this thread. I try to jogg three times per week for 20 mins in addition to my reg workout routine. I would like to increase my efforts though. I am now able to run non stop for 20mins on the treadmill at 3mph. Now that its nice in NJ most of my jogs will take place outside.

Looking forward to sharing my ups and downs with you guys!
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #10  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Ncueno- regarding peaking and marathon training.... it is quite larger of a commitment, time-wise, to train for a marathon.... are you prepared to peak at 40-60 miles per week? Just take that into consideration........ low 40's is really the minimum you would peak at, but i think you would be doing a program slightly more advance than "novice"

Appleblossom... is the reason you are thinkin gof doing a half marathon is so you can lose weight? ask ncueno about this....most runners do NOT and ARE NOT able to lose weight while endurance traning. Of course there are exceptions, but considering your "somewhat high" level of fitness, and a body weight thats not incredibly overweight (of course i dont know your height) i doubt you will fall into the TINY category of people who are able to lose while in training. There are SO SO many reasons for it..... some as simple as you must eat more to compensate for calories burned during intense training... others are more complicated, such as the amount of stress it puts on your body, releasing higher levels of cortisol which prevent fat loss. Also your body will never have a chance to be in a "recovered" state, maning you will always be carrying excess water from stiffness and sore muscles. If yuor body feels "threattened", as it often can with long distance running-- fat loss SHUTS DOWN. Your body conserves what calories it gets to run vital bodily processes....ESPECIALLY WHILE IN A DEFICIT. Thats not to say you cant lose INCHES.... many report this happening...... but train to run a half because you want the experience, make sure you fuel your body properly, and put fat loss on hold till its over.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #11  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Hi! My name is Sherri. And I am getting addicted to running. I am a slow runner - but getting faster! I did my first 10k race on Monday. Now I am thinking... hmmm... what training would be involved for a HM? I want to do it so I can get one of those 13.1 stickers for my car.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #12  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

Did about 3 miles last night. Running a 5K on Saturday. At this point I'm jogging about 3x/week, 3-4 miles each time. Still very slow, about a 12 minute mile. Planning on a 10K in September.

How does everyone deal with the bugs? It was gorgeous out last night(maybe still a bit humid, but temps in the 70's and a nice breeze), but I swear there was a swarm of bugs around me! During the week evenings are really the best time for me since I go to work really early and prefer to shower at night so my mornings are easier.
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #13  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

AppleBlossom = I have to agree with mkroyer. ~sigh~ The more I run (and bike and swim) the hungrier I get and the more I need to eat to fuel my work outs. If I just stayed at the level I am at now, I could eat at a deficit and lose... but I keep uping my speed and distance and demanding more and more of my body. I started training for a triathlon in April... in two months, I have only managed to lose about 5, maybe 6 lbs. There are some areas I can improve on (like booze) which would help me. But I am always SO HUNGRY. And if I don't eat enough, my running (and biking and swimming) suffer. And I get REALLY cranky.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #14  
Closet health nut!

Yep, training and losing is HARD! Last year I lost maybe 5 lbs while training for my half which was an 18 week program (that's long, but it was my first) and after training was over I lost 5 lbs in like 2 weeks. I'm now dumb enough to try it again because I've regained a few lbs and am trying to lose those while training. I'm not too worried about it though because fortunately I've added a little muscle and 150 this year doesn't look like 150 last year. So I'm just running on a very small deficit, and sometimes none at all, and just focusing on fueling, training and overall fitness.

Quote:
Ncueno- regarding peaking and marathon training.... it is quite larger of a commitment, time-wise, to train for a marathon.... are you prepared to peak at 40-60 miles per week? Just take that into consideration........ low 40's is really the minimum you would peak at, but i think you would be doing a program slightly more advance than "novice"
This is the question, I'm still think a lot about whether or not I have what it takes to run and train for a full. I want to so bad, but I'm terrified!

No run for me today, just a little warm up jog before ST and yoga.

Last edited by ncuneo; 06-02-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 110/105

Height: 5'2

i'm running my first 10K race at the end of the month! I have done a handful of 5K races and one 1/2 marathon (I have been running since last July).
I am running 4x a week (JUST come to 4x a week from 3x a week), my routine is Sun: long run, Tues: easy run, Thurs: tempo run, Fri: recovery run.

I am going to start BRICK workouts on Fridays-doing a 6-8mi bike ride and follow it immediately with a 2-3 mi EASY run. I also cross train on my 'off running' days on the elliptical, treadmill hikes and cycling.

I LOVE running. Love love love it. I did a 4mi tempo this morning that went really well. Tomorrow will be my first BRICK workout. I am blessed that I live in a neighborhood with TONS of trails and one trail that lead to an awesome park with an amazing 7mile loop. Also just a mile away from another much longer trail system. I am SO glad the nicer weather is here and I'm not taking 20min to get dressed to go out and run! =)
rawbanana is offline   Reply With Quote