Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW 246 /CW 229 /GW 150

Height: 5 ' 1"

Default Ideas for fruit - can only shop 1x per week

Due to transporation right now I can only shop at a "real" grocery store 1 day per week - sometimes every week and a half. Do you have ideas for fruit/fresh foods? It's really a challenge.
Thank you!
catowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #2  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Fruits that I have found to keep the longest are apples, oranges, grapes, cherries, blueberries, pineapple.
Maybe buy bananas in various stages of ripeness.

Really the only friut that I have go 'bad' is strawberries.
Also raspberries and black berries can get moldy in a few days.

If you use fruit to make smoothies, you can freeze them and use whenever.

I don't use much canned fruit, but I do like mandarin oranges.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

A little box of cuties is a great investment. They stay good a long time, are quick and easy to eat, and delicious!

I agree that you may want to consider some frozen fruits for smoothies. Other good ones are pears. They take a few days to ripen after you get them home from the store, so you won't be digging into them until half-way through the week.

Mangos are another good one to have around. As are avocados as the summer gets into full swing.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #4  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Do you have some backyard or patio space? Buy plants! Fruit might take a while i.e. a few seasons but herbs and veggies are easy to grow.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:28 AM   #5  

Height: 5'4''

I like citrus and kiwis and apples. I also freeze bananas for shakes and buy frozen berries.
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:05 PM   #6  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

GRAPEFRUITS!

I bought a huge bag about two weeks ago and they are still delicious. Have never bought them before and really enjoying them. I eat them like an orange. They a bit tangy but super refreshing.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:45 PM   #7  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

Don't give up on things like strawberries that go bad quickly, just eat them first

I generally only shop once a week and I eat my strawberries and bananas the first few days of the week, then save the longer lasting fruits like apples, oranges, and blueberries for the later part of the week. If something is starting to look questionable before you get to eat it, freeze it. It just requires a little planning and paying attention to what you need to eat before it goes bad.
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

Grapes!!! I like them crunchy but if I don't eat them in time, I freeze them and then they're crunchy in a different way! Lol
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Most fruits will last longer in the fridge if you have room to keep them inside one. And I quintuple the recommendation of frozen fruit for smoothies (and frozen veggies for cooking!).
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

My grocery is pretty unrealiable on getting in fruit that actually looks edible (Moldy strawberries, we can still sell this, right? So the apples look like they have leprosy, I'm sure their fine!)

So when they actually get a fresh shipment in or I make the trip across town to a better grocery, I try to buy some fruits that last. I buy LOTS of apples. As someone mentioned, apples and citrus last the longest, so I save those for the end of the week. I eat my strawberries and bananas in the first 3 days. I also buy frozen fruit for smoothies (mango, mixed berried, pineapple, papaya)
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:07 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

apples, oranges and grapefruit stay good for awhile if you keep them in the fridge. key is to keep them in the fridge, especially if it's hot where you are. berries and grapes you can try freezing, sometimes they taste good frozen when it's hot anyway.

Last edited by ringmaster; 06-02-2011 at 05:07 AM.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #12  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

I know you're looking for fresh, but it you can always get fruit cups with no sugar added in juice, fruit leather (Target has an organic one by Market Pantry I think it is-their brand-that is great), and I would freeze grapes, pinapple, blueberries, and strawberries so they're good for almost 3 months. Also, grapefruit can last over a month in the fridge and buy fruit that is still hard/not ripe and refridgerate them so they last a long longer.
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote