Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 08:34 PM   #1  

Default for Sandi-and any other vegetable haters trying to eat healthier

Hi,

I had an idea for you, Sandi to try and eat more vegetables.

Check at your library or local bookstore for cookbooks with recipes for kids. They always have recipes for vegetables for kids-trying to make them for appealing for kids. It might work for you, too.

Some ideas-steaming baby carrots, then melting a little margarine and brown sugar and making glazed carrots....or cutting a sweet potato or yam into eighths, tossing with a little olive oil and making sweet potato fries....adding grated carrots and chopped onions and peppers when you make meatloaf with lean ground turkey or lean ground beef-I also add frozen chopped spinach (thawed and squeezed dry) to my turkey meatloaf...at breakfast, make an omelette with some chopped tomates, peppers and onions....or try roasting vegetables-it makes them taste sweeter. also try eating red, orange or yellow peppers-they have even more vitamins than green ones, and they're much sweeter. I love them. (of course they're more expensive) Also, a half cup of salsa counts as a vegetable serving!
or stir fry some broccoli and carrots to go with chicken stir fry. I have a delicious recipe for lowfat sweet and sour chicken, if you want it. Make lowfat macaroni and cheese, and eat stewed tomates on the side (they're really good) or add some peas (I actually hate peas, though) to macaroni and cheese. Add broccoli florets for the last few minutes when you cook pasta...make muffins with vegetables in them-I've made spinach corn muffins that are really good. I also have recipes for lowfat (no crust) spinach or broccoli quiche. I also have a recipe for lowfat zucchini lasagna-you use sliced zucchini instead of noodles. It's delicious.

Hope some of these ideas are helpful. I'm lucky to love vegetables.

Take care,
Sherry
Old 05-25-2003, 10:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

ooh, i think that lasagna sounds good! (i'm a veggie lover too). think maybe you could post some of those recipes you mentioned? i always like trying new things!!
Old 05-25-2003, 11:49 PM   #3  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Default Re: for Sandi-and any other vegetable haters trying to eat healthier

Quote:
Originally posted by suzie76
Also, a half cup of salsa counts as a vegetable serving!
I love this. I live by this. I, too, would like your lasagna recipe, Sherry.

Also, Sandi, I read this weekend that people who drink a glass of V8 before their lunch eat less calories during lunch. I have been mixing a small can of V8 w/seltzer water & drinking it w/lunch, that seems to help. Those are the days I have a frozen entree & a salad & end up taking 2 bites of the salad b/c I'm too full.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:31 PM   #4  

Hi,

I will try to post some recipes this coming weekend. I'll post the ones for zucchini lasagna, spinach lasagna (really quick-you don't have to cook the noodles first), sweet and sour chicken and bowties with broccoli and garlic. I also have a lowfat spinach quiche recipe (you can use in broccoli in it if you like that better). I'm too tired to type them all out tongiht. (wish I had a scanner)

Sherry
Old 05-27-2003, 01:35 PM   #5  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Watch for added sugar to salsa! I love salsa but I have to read the label.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:54 PM   #6  
missaprylj

I've found that soups are a sneaky way to get veggies. Same with low-fat chilli... all that tomato, add peppers and onions. Very devious. LOL. Good luck!! ---Great thread Sherry!---- -Apryl

Closed Thread