General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-31-2011, 11:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 338/ticker/150ish

Height: 5' 6.5"

Default Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition?

I hope I'm putting this in the right place. I wasn't sure where else to put it. If there's another thread already about this, I apologize.

Did anyone watch the show last night (I think that was the first episode, but I could be wrong?). What did you think of it? I rather enjoyed it, and thought the girl (can't think of her name now) looked fabulous in her end reveal. It was very inspiring to see her transform over the course of a year. I almost wish the show was 2 hours instead of 1 one though, my only complaint. Just wondering what others who watched thought as well.

Last edited by cherokee21; 05-31-2011 at 11:06 AM.
cherokee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #2  

Aww, I'd wanted to watch that. Didn't realize it was on already. I'll have to check for the next episode.
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Yes there is another thread. It is under Weight Loss Support and is titled "Unrealistic goals on TV shows". It has had several replies to it.

Last edited by bargoo; 05-31-2011 at 11:19 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:30 AM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I saw it and loved it as well! It was the first show and she looked awesome. I'm glad it's only one hour because I sometimes get annoyed by the Biggest Loser and how they seem to stretch out the show with lots of advertising during the show and building suspense and showing what they just showed before the commercial, after the commercial, etc. What I wish they would focus more on is the food...then that would be worth another hours time. I can't wait until I see the next show!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:02 PM   #5  
Taking care of me.

Disappointed.

That's what I was last night. The show was ok but there was no substance to it.

First, it started with a lie unless he thought she weighed A LOT more than she did. They are in a health facility but he told her they didn't have a scale that would go up to her weight. So they had to weigh her on the loading dock. 369 lbs? My scale goes up to 400 or 450 lbs. I think it was done for dramatic purposes and that sucks.

Second, what was the plan? No detail on the food. No real detail on the exercise except that she started out with 3 sessions a day. I want the nitty gritty of the plan, not all that fluff.

Yes it was inspirational but I was looking for the details.

I'll watch another episode or two but if it doesn't get better I'll probably stop watching.
MoveMoveMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:48 PM   #6  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I think it lacked information. It is your typical reality sob/cheer story without any information whatsoever. I will keep watching because I like to see it happen. However, it isn't anything educational which I hope for but actually I shouldn't be surprised.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #7  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I too was dissapointed, it was all fluff and no detail. I did notice Rachael was wearing a body Bugg, must say I love my BodyMedia Fit and I hope she get something out of the numbers. but what was the diet? where was the family support/friend support? mom did not look like she lost any weight. What were the trainers qualifiction?

I am glad she lost the weight and she did look great BUT I had no emotional attachement to her and she will be long gone from my mind by the time I go to bed tonight. Too bad because with the obesity epademic in the country and lots of people looking for help, this show really missed the mark in my book.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogirl008 View Post
Aww, I'd wanted to watch that. Didn't realize it was on already. I'll have to check for the next episode.
they have it on Hulu if you missed it!
ade903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 338/ticker/150ish

Height: 5' 6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Yes there is another thread. It is under Weight Loss Support and is titled "Unrealistic goals on TV shows". It has had several replies to it.
Ah, yeah, I missed that post. I saw it a while after I posted here.

I agree with everyone else. It needed more detail which is why I thought it should have been 2 hours, to give more insight into the plan she followed for diet and exercise. So much of the time was spent on the basic intro in the beginning, the rewards she got and the reveal. Would have been nice to see more focus on the diet and exercise plans and support as well. Her journey was over the course of a year. That's a lot to fit into 1 hour. Overall though, I was inspired.

For anyone who missed it, I think you can now see the full episode on the ABC site.
cherokee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:59 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveMoveMove View Post
They are in a health facility but he told her they didn't have a scale that would go up to her weight. So they had to weigh her on the loading dock. 369 lbs? My scale goes up to 400 or 450 lbs. I think it was done for dramatic purposes and that sucks.
Geez, I get catalogs (consumer, not aimed at medical clinics) at home that sell bariatric scales going up to 500 and even 1,000 lb! And in this age of obesity a weight-loss clinic doesn't have a bariatric scale? Give me a break! And just like on Biggest Loser (I guess the two shows have the same producer), when she does the weigh-in at the end the number on the "scale" jumps around like crazy, 218, 231, 209 ..., before it settles down on the actual weight (I understand on BL that scale is a prop, they do another weighing backstage on a real scale but the subject doesn't know what the result is until it's shown onstage)

Last edited by ANOther; 05-31-2011 at 06:06 PM.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:02 PM   #11  

i watched it online. i didn't like hearing the trainer talk so much. i skipped around because i got tired of hearing him talk so much. i would like to have seen the detail on more things like you all have mentioned. i didn't even see the part about the scale but yeah, that was ridiculous. i really liked that Heavy show on A&E, and last summer Jillian's show where she lived with families for awhile.
thinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #12  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Anyone know who this trainer was? For some reason I was thinking he was one of the winners of The Biggest Loser, no idea though.

Anyway, wasn't pleased with the show at all, very dry (boring to me) and yes...lacking details, lots of details! Not sure if I will watch another episode...maybe if nothing else is on.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #13  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

His name is Chris Powell. He's not affiliated with The Biggest Loser as far as I know.

I actually didn't have a problem with this show, though I would be interested in a follow up a year later. I think it's good that he was tough on her and on her family. Sometimes tough love is what's needed, especially when you are given the opportunity that she was given. And if you'll recall, even though she "missed" her goals, she still earned her rewards, which only motivated her to work harder for the next one.

I do think that more time could have been spent on nutrition and more information made available to the audience - for example, having her food / exercise trackers available online so we could see what she was doing.

I'll watch it again. :-)
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote