Old 05-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

Default I've become an annoying diet expert!

I've noticed that now whenever my friends post on Facebook or wherever about weight loss or exercise, I'm chiming right in with my opinions about what they are doing and what I'm doing. I spend so much time thinking about my diet and exercise that I've become an incredible know-it-all and it's super annoying. Something for me to work on.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #2  
I CAN DO IT

S/C/G: 300/ see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

LOL, I do this too all the time I think for me it has alot to do with me being proud that I have gotten this far and wanna show it off hehe.
Ky30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #3  
Quitting is NOT an option

S/C/G: SCG: 224/218/130

Height: 5'1

Completely natural! Just don't get personal if your friends get snippy.
FlipFlop Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I'm going to stop while I still have friends.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #5  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLess View Post
I'm going to stop while I still have friends.

Very good idea. I have this impulse too. I work hard to keep it to myself unless/until someone asks me for input.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:17 PM   #6  

My mother has to be the worst person for this. She's struggled with obesity ever since she had me (my gift to her, I guess? lol). When she got married 36 years ago, she was 5'0 and 120 pounds; hourglass figure and all that. Then when she had me 10 years later (she was 30 by then) she ballooned up to over 200 and then with the coming of my sister 5 years after me, she ballooned again and never lost weight.

She's done it all - low fat, low carb, high protein, etc. etc. But in the end, her portion sizes are always too big. We never ate junk food growing up - mom made everything. We rarely ever ate out: I remember what a TREAT it was to go to McDonald's for something because lived an hour away from one and rarely ever went.

Right now, she's all about chemicals, chemicals, chemicals and SUGAR!! She'll go on and on about the sugar that's in everything (and it's true).

She knows SO much about food and what you should eat etc etc. but doesn't actively apply it to herself (though she says she does, I know she doesn't) and it makes it all the more irritating when I'll say to her something like "Yea, for breakfast I had an egg and a piece of toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter" and her response is "was it Kraft or natural? Because Kraft is just garbage - it's just chemicals - it's full of sugar - it's not good etc" and it's like: Seriously, I'm trying to lose weight, I'm picking my battles. I don't LIKE the taste of natural peanut butter and sometimes it has more calories than the Kraft.. so I'll stick with that for now.

Or yogurt, if it's not a certain brand, she'll go off on how many chemicals are in it and how much sugar etc even though there may only be like 60 calories in it.

Very annoying >.<;
Rainbowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

You mother reminds me of someone I once knew who was a smoker. She claimed she could quit cold turkey "because I've done it 9 times before." This was in an intervention discussion after she almost killed her family due to tossing a lit cigarette into a plastic garbage can, causing carbon monoxide levels to rise dangerously in their home.

Luckily, I've never been a smoker, so I didn't have the personal annoyance factor, just the face-palm reaction to her inane statement.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 322/see ticker/160

Height: 5ft5

Rainbow girl: I feel like you must be my sister! Lol my mom is exactly the same to a tee!!! Right now because I am doing the south beach diet she has started some new diet prescribed by a total wellness clinic and she keeps telling me how she is eating too much food! Hello??? If you didn't eat too much food before you wouldn't have been 275! She has told the nutritionist that she is tweaking the diet to what she thinks will be better. No sugar etc. I try not to talk to her about weight loss because it is discouraging but sometimes I find it down right ridiculous. Yesterday we went to an afternoon matinee and she decided that if she didn't eat lunch that a large popcorn with butter would be ok. Guess I shouldn't tell her there is high fructose corn syrup in that.
Congrats on your weight loss and good luck.
OnMyWayDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #9  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I think nobody likes a know-it-all. I have learnt a lot of lessons on this journey and continue to learn everyday but the one thing I don't like is unsolicited advice or people who have an opinion about what goes into my mouth because they have realized I'm on this journey. Don't get me wrong, I understand where they're coming from, I'm sometimes tempted to pipe in and put in my 2 cents. I just usually don't unless a close friend or family member asks and is really interested. In general, I'm just not comfortable discussing the fact that I'm on this journey with most people to have an opinion about food. Doesn't help that I'm a chubster surrounded by skinny minnies.

Rainbowgirl: I identify completely!!! Except my mom isn't very noticeably obnoxious with it and knows herself that she's not doing what she needs to do in spite of all the amazing knowledge she has.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #10  
Munchberry

S/C/G: 295/215/168

Height: 5' 10"

A REAL know it all would demand a promotion from VP of the Department of Shaping Up to President of it. I think you have it licked if you realize you are doing something annoying to your friends and are willing to try to stop!
Hungry4Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:57 AM   #11  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I think this is (one of the) reasons I stay fairly active on 3fc, even though I've been in maintaince for almost 3 years. My real life family and friends would get terribly annoyed if I talked diet and nutrition to them as much as I think about it. Some of my newer friends have never even heard me mention the words diet/weight loss/nutrition... Don't get me wrong, I still talk about it to people like my husband and my sister, but most people have no clue the struggles I have with food.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #12  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I have learned to keep most of my thoughts to myself. Early on when my weight loss first became evident, my sister said to me, "I hope you don't become one of those obnoxious weight loss people." I think of that often and really try to keep my comments under control.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:55 AM   #13  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I have a little Annoying Diet Expert inside me, but when she shows signs of restlessness during a conversation & seems to want to pipe up & contribute, I basically sit my butt down on her & cover her mouth with both my hands.

The only way I'll talk about this stuff in Real Life is if someone approaches me quietly & discreetly, looking over her shoulder fearfully, lest we be overheard, and specifically asks my advice. Even then, I'm observing the person, gauging whether she's going to really *hear* what I have to say, because sometimes people have the desire but aren't really ready to act.

I still think that 95% of it comes from the inside, and the other 5% is the inner-directed person seeking out plain facts & some affirmation & validation of what they've already decided on their own to do. All I can be is like a cross between a reference librarian & someone who says, "Attagirl!" And maybe, if I like & trust them, to bare some of my private pain & lessons learned, in hope of sparing them a brief wrong turn.

Last edited by saef; 05-31-2011 at 09:56 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:01 AM   #14  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

It's a perfectly normal and natural tendency to do this. I get unreasonably annoyed and mad when people give me unsolicited advice or preach a diet/way of eating different from the one I do, so I try to think about that whenever I feel the urge to say "OF COURSE YOU'RE HUNGRY ALL THE TIME, DO YOU EVEN EAT ANYTHING BESIDES CARBS?!"
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:43 AM   #15  

Height: 5'5"

Nothing worse than a "born again" anything. I never make diet comments to anybody and never will. We've all known the reformed smokers, drinkers, any other addiction you can name. Everybody has to do it for themselves, unsolicited advice is not helpful and many times can drive the person to do whatever the bad behavior is just for an "I'll show you".
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote