General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'5

Unhappy Need to lose 100+ lbs. Need help to kick start wgt loss. Suggestions? pills, diets..

I have been struggling with weight my whole life. I am 24 years old 5'5 and have reached my all time high of 250 lbs. I never thought I would let myself get this out of control but I did. My blood pressure is high now, I have PCOS and my cholesterol is high. At the rate I am going I am likely t have a heart attack or stroke. I really need help!!! Are there any suggestions people have for diets?? I am a nurse so eating small meals frequently doesnt always work out because of the constant go go go. I was wondering if pills would help?? there are so many out there claiming to be the best so it can be overwhelming. I have tried alot of diets from weight watchers to nutrisystem to protein shakes and the weight never stays off... I also can get discouraged easily if weight doesnt come off every week.. Someone please help me!
kmc51533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/185/160

Height: 5' 7'

What I have learned is that what it really breaks down to is calories consumed vs calories burned. First thing I would suggest doing is tracking your food and calorie intake. Then set a goal for daily caloric intake and stick to it. There are some pretty good free calorie tracking website out there if you do a google search. It's a little work at first but believe me it will get much easier. Exercising will also speed things up if that is what you are interested in.

I have no recommendations on pills and lean towards the belief that there is no tricks when it comes to weight loss, either you do the work to lose the weight or you don't. Good luck in your journey.
Jesscobedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I'm going to take the tough love approach and be direct... hopefully it will be helpful!

I don't think you should try to lose weight until you are ready for a lifestyle change. It's not worth taking diet pills for a few weeks to lose a few quick pounds mostly due to laxatives of water weight, do some potential damage to your body, and then gain it back. You will be much happier, healthier, and in the long run, thinner, if you decide to make the commitment to change your way of eating and exercise habits for the rest of your life.

Check out the "Maintainers" area of this website, or the "Goal" area of this website to find out how people who succeeded in losing the weight and KEEPING it off did it. I don't know anyone who did it with pills; everyone did it with incredibly hard work, dedication, and commitment to healthier lifestyles. They are truly inspirations to the rest of us.

Jesscobedo had some great advice for you. Track everything you eat to see how many calories you consume each day. There are tons of free websites to do this: Fit Day, Livestrong, Daily Plate, and My Fitness Pal are some of them. They will each tell you how many calories you need to survive each day (in other words, to maintain your weight) and how many calories a day you should reduce your calories by in order to create a deficit- to intake fewer calories than your body needs. If your body isn't getting enough calories, it will use your stored energy (fat, etc) to burn as fuel. This is how you lose weight. Like Jesscobedo said, it all comes down to that- eating fewer calories than you burn throughout the day by living, moving around, and exercising.

Someone wrote a very good, easy to read post explaining how all weight loss boils down to this. It's useful to cut through all the confusion of the tons of diet products out there. Read here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/gene...tay-myths.html.

I understand you get discouraged by not losing weight quickly and seeing results. But what helped me is to see people who GOT where I want to be and hearing their experiences. You have to start steady, manage your expectations, and be motivated by people who are where you want to be now- and believe them when they say hang in there for the long-haul. Weight will come off steadily- sometimes quickly sometime slowly- and you probably will plateau for a bit at times. You may have weeks where you lose 4 lbs and weeks where you gain 1 for no apparent reason. Trust people who have completed the journey and who say "stick with it for the long haul."

If you want to lose 20 lbs in two weeks, you can probably find a product that will do that for you. But you probably will not lose more than that, or gain it back. Lifestyle changes- specifically dietary changes- are what is needed to get to where you want to be: 150 lbs.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:17 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/154.4/130

Height: 5'2

Both of the previous posters are right on target. Quick fixes and yo-yo dieting are what have landed many of us at our all-time highest weights. Pills are definitely not the answer.

I think you've already done a good thing by registering. Stay on the board, and try to post daily or every other day. Believe me, I get discouraged easily too and I joined a challenge here. I like competing, and the contest aspect of the challenge has kept me from binging or staying off track for even a day. The truth is, you won't see a loss every week. It's how you choose the move on from a week without a loss and get to that next week is what matters.

Try using a food log, like My Fitness Pal or Fit Day. I suggest MFP, since there's also a really great message board and many of the foods you eat are likely already entered, so you won't have to enter many custom foods (that's less work for you and I think it'll make it more likely that you'll stick it out).

Find a gym membership or exercise routine that fits into your busy schedule. I use Beachbody workouts and Jillian Michaels. The BB workouts can get expensive, but they're cheaper than the gym. There's also Couch 2 5K which can get you running soon.

Try rewards. No, not food rewards. But for each 5 days of logging and staying on track, you could buy the nail polish or makeup you've been wanting for a while. You could buy new workout clothes for every 10 pounds lost, an Mp3 player, or new running shoes.

I hope that helped and that you make the right changes in order to lead the healthy life you want and need.

Last edited by petitefleur; 05-29-2011 at 11:08 AM.
petitefleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 196/179/169

Height: 5'7

I agree with the last couple of posters, you have to be ready for a lifestyle change and quick fix isn't going to do you any permanent favors. What helped me (aside from the realization that I was the heaviest I had ever been and was going nowhere but up on the scale) was going on the South Beach diet. A quick fix, yes but in the first two weeks I lost the ten pounds the book guaranteed I'd lose. I have managed to keep the weight off for almost a year now. I have lost more since just by exercising and I joined Weight Watchers recently to lose the rest in a healthy, less restrictive way that hopefully will tune up my eating habits for life.

I guess my point is that sometimes it can be a good thing to jump start your diet with something like the South Beach diet which really just curbs your appetite for carbs the first couple weeks. Heck, sometimes I do it for a few days just to curb cravings for the bad carbs. A personal trainer will be a lot of help whether it is for one session or ten, highly recommend. Good luck!
KikiTamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmc51533 View Post
I have been struggling with weight my whole life. I am 24 years old 5'5 and have reached my all time high of 250 lbs. I never thought I would let myself get this out of control but I did. My blood pressure is high now, I have PCOS and my cholesterol is high. At the rate I am going I am likely t have a heart attack or stroke. I really need help!!! Are there any suggestions people have for diets?? I am a nurse so eating small meals frequently doesnt always work out because of the constant go go go. I was wondering if pills would help?? there are so many out there claiming to be the best so it can be overwhelming. I have tried alot of diets from weight watchers to nutrisystem to protein shakes and the weight never stays off... I also can get discouraged easily if weight doesnt come off every week.. Someone please help me!
Hey I'm from MA, too

This might sound harsh, but I think you need to hear it before starting any sort of plan.

The weight doesn't stay off, because you quit working at it. Period.

Any of those plans you mentioned DO work, but it's the people who've committed to it...the people who change their lives... the people who accept that it won't be a "quick fix"... those are the people who succeed at it.

In order to lose weight for the long haul you are first going to have to accept that there are going to be weeks that you don't lose weight, and there might even be a few weeks in there that you gain. You have to accept that, because that is the way TRUE and LASTING weight loss works.

People quit when they get frustrated. People get frustrated when they set their standards too high and then fail to see unrealistic results. You are going to have to accept that your standards were too high, and it's now time to be realistic and see how real, permanent weight loss works.

No one cares if a person takes off 5 pounds a week just to put it back on a month later when they quit. That's not inspiring. That's not real. It's just a fix and in the end hurts the body, and doesn't address the underlying condition. It's a band-aid for a gunshot wound to the head.

You want to know what the best diet plan is for you? The best plan is the one that you're going to commit to forever. The best plan is the one you aren't afraid to tweak to fit your life constantly. The best plan is the one that even if you stumble you KNOW you can even get to goal if you just get back up and continue forward on.

Here's a list of what you're probably going to have to do if you REALLY want a change in your life.

1) Learn -and- accept what realistic weight loss is, and what realistic goals are. Check around 3FC. Read the maintainers area. Read the sections dedicated to people who've been working at this for YEARS. Then you might have a better idea of what realistic means.

2) Be observant about your eating and exercising patterns. What about them is healthy and what do you want to continue? What about them is unhealthy and what do you want to change?

3) Make a list of changes that you KNOW you can make. Doesn't have to be a big list to start.

4) Choose something on that list. Set a goal to do that one thing for a week.

5) Accomplish the goal.

6) Continue with the new healthy habit, return to #2 and repeat forever.

Focus on healthy changes. Focus on things you can DO positively. Avoid focusing on things like a scale. A scale can be a helpful tool, but it is not the only tool.

You can do this. You absolutely can make lasting changes. So many people have. But, you're going to have to start with a different type of change... and that's a change in your approach.

Best of wishes, and I hope to see you around the boards more.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote