Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #1  
Working hard

S/C/G: 280/272/250

Height: 5'5"

Default What music do you like to workout to?

I was working out today and was rocking out to music which is an absolute must for me to be able to really have a great workout. Music just helps get me pumped and keep me going, I just get lost in the music and before I know the workout is over.

So I was wondering what kind of music is on your workout playlists? What motivates you to move and grove the pounds away?

I need to update my playlist but I currently get through my workouts with Michael Jackson's greatest hits (favs are "Man in the Mirror", "Dirty Diana", "Pretty Young Thing", "Bad" and well pretty much all of them lol, some Prince, and don't laugh but Axel F (theme song from Beverly Hills Cop) "Baby Go Back" Sir Mix-A-Lot, "My DownEaster Alex" ( my favorite cool down song), Cher's greatest hits and a whole bunch of other 80's hits. I just have to have music, always have, it just helps me to get lost in lala land while working out LOL
jenfett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #2  
Love me.

S/C/G: 207/T/135

Height: 5'10"

I workout with tons of different types of music, but my favorite is Justice. Try..(D.A.N.C.E)
AshleyLaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Ashley, I totally second your suggestion. I love working out with Justice. I'm more of an electronic music person when I work out because I love getting lost in the music. In any case, I also listen to Daft Punk whilst working out, or whatever pandora puts on my Justice station
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #4  
Feel the <3

S/C/G: 170/166/115

Height: 5ft 3in

Haha I like listening to MGMT...but im more of an alternative chick
Ally Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

I love MGMT too for workout. <3
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #6  

Big muscular guys at the gym always request heavy metal before a big lift. Personally, I like my "angry" music while lifting or running. I particularly like Candlebox, but I can't play that publicly due to too many F words.

But I also like inspiring music or music that crescendos. "try one time" by Ben Harper, or "She sells sanctuary" by the cult (long version) are my favs, especially for running.

I wonder, sometimes when I'm running outside and either singing the lyrics or moving my hands to the beat, if i look like a total dork to those driving by. But you know what? That's what being in "the zone" is all about. I love that.

You're right. Music makes a big diff for a work out..

Last edited by fitness4life; 05-28-2011 at 01:04 PM.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #7  
Love me.

oooh...I Like MGMT too! Although, I'm not afraid to bring back the oldies too. Dancing Queen by ABBA. I really need a great beat to put me in the mood!

Angry music is cool too. When I ran, I was always looking for music that would have the perfect tempo to match my running beat and listen over and over again to it. (You can't listen to music while running in Cross Country team.)

fatferretfanatic, pandora is a great idea when working out! I've discovered some great music on there. Daft punk is great also. It seems we have similar music tastes in exercise. Very cool!

Last edited by AshleyLaurent; 05-28-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 129.4/ticker/115

Height: 4'11''

My "Diva" station on Pandora... it's all songs that are in the same vein as "Diva" by Beyonce. I'm all about the girl power/hip hop/heavy beats when I'm gettin' sweaty.
FatPantsSkinnyJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #9  

Ok, so I don't listen to music during exercise since I do a lot of biking and that's kind of dangerous, but I love that you all have awesome music taste. Justice is awesome, so is Daft Punk. Also, if you think you'd like corny raunchy euro-pop, Junior Senior is AMAZING for exercise. It's really fun and upbeat.
TerraIncognita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #10  
Stressed out Mom/Student

S/C/G: 194/184/145

Height: 5'6"

NERD ALERT! NERD ALERT!

Lately I've been listening to Brahms Symphony #4 when I've been running. The fourth movement is all angry and loud and really gets me through the end. It's about the right time too.

A lot of Beethoven's piano sonatas are good for that too.
doubtingJulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #11  
*Buttercup*

S/C/G: 342/208/145

Height: 5'5''

I was gonna make a thread just like this one a few days ago, but totally forgot! Glad you did

Anything that gets me going, songs you can dance too.. Even though you're not dancing, although I will shake my booty on the elliptical now and then. hehe
mypinkpolkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #12  
*Buttercup*

S/C/G: 342/208/145

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness4life View Post
Personally, I like my "angry" music while lifting or running.
I like the "angry" music too
mypinkpolkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:58 PM   #13  

Have any of you ever heard of this one band...I'm probably gonna get the name wrong bc I JUST heard them for the first time last week - The Toxic Air Event? Or something with toxic and air in it.

Anyway, the live performance I saw on TV had string instruments but it was rock genre. So cool the crescendo effect. So spot on interpreting human emotion into music.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #14  
Love me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubtingJulia View Post
NERD ALERT! NERD ALERT!

Lately I've been listening to Brahms Symphony #4 when I've been running. The fourth movement is all angry and loud and really gets me through the end. It's about the right time too.

A lot of Beethoven's piano sonatas are good for that too.
LOL. Its ok. Due to my Bachelor's in Piano Performance and playing in the Symphonies since birth, I too listen to an ungodly amount of classical music.

I love ballet music for dancing. and when I mean dancing. I mean living room dancing.

fitness4life- The Airbourne Toxic Event. Such a cool band! Thanks for the suggestion! I must admit, I love bands that use strings and horns in their music!
Old 05-29-2011, 11:10 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyLaurent View Post
LOL. Its ok. Due to my Bachelor's in Piano Performance and playing in the Symphonies since birth, I too listen to an ungodly amount of classical music.

I love ballet music for dancing. and when I mean dancing. I mean living room dancing.

fitness4life- The Airbourne Toxic Event. Such a cool band! Thanks for the suggestion! I must admit, I love bands that use strings and horns in their music!
Thanks for the correct name of that band! Since you like strings and horns, I'm gonna ask you if you've heard of this other band, but like above, I can't remember the whole name.

It's a guy who performs a lot in Breckenridge, CO. The Charlie something band. I saw him "with horns" as it was billed. Holy cow. They had a baritone sax! String bass, trumpet, all with rock music electric guitar ( I think, it was long ago and it was also a Patron night ). Do you know who I'm talking about?