General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/217/130

Height: 5'3"

Unhappy Help!!

I have been trying to diet soo hard but where I always fail is when it comes to carbs.. I CRAVE breads like constantly.. How can you get over this?? I even try to eat something else light but always go back for the breads.. Does anyone else have this problem?? Just looking for what I can do to stop...
sacal96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:58 PM   #2  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

What weight loss plan are you working on? I know that when I tried Atkins for a couple of weeks, I got stuck in "induction flu" that just did not let up and I constantly craved anything even remotely bready. I swear, I was almost ready to overturn the couch cushions and lick any crumbs I found off their undersides. Induction phase was not kind to me.

Carb cravings suck. A lot of people get them and everyone seems to have a different solution. The best solution I've found (and your mileage may vary) is just to avoid certain carbs altogether while ensuring that I never eat any carb-heavy food all by itself.

Crackers and crunchy, salty snacks are my downfall more than breads, but I can empathize with you on the hold such foods have. So don't have 'em in the house! Find other carbs that don't give you a jones for more. For example, I love French bread, but can take or leave those little round sandwich thins and regular sliced sandwich bread. Therefore, I don't bring a loaf of Leidenheimer's into the house, but can handle whole wheat loaves and sandwich rounds. Those can stay and I won't bother them except for when it's time to make a sandwich.

When I do make a sandwich, I don't eat it by itself. I aim for keeping the starch-rich portion of the meal to the smallest portion on the plate. That sandwich goes with sufficient protein, fat, and bulk to fill me up physically and satiate my taste buds. For instance, today's lunch was a sandwich round with ham, provolone, a little olive-oil mayo, spinach leaves, some leftover roasted asparagus from yesterday's dinner, red onion, and tomato on it; a small bowl of vegetable-beef soup; and a thingie of yogurt. Lots of food, but not a lot of carbohydrates.

You might also be sensitive to carbs. Some people on the forum are; in fact, I'd say a lot of folks are. They find that eating high-carb meals provokes intense cravings. If that describes you, try cutting down on the carb-rich meals and instead beef them up with...well, beef. Or chicken, turkey, lamb, or fish. Stick to small amounts of complex carbs balanced with nice-sized portions of protein for satiety.

Sorry to write a novel in response, but...well, I had coffee today, it makes me chatty. At any rate, you are NOT alone. I hope that some of what I wrote helps you out, and I look forward to hearing of your future successes over the Carb-monster.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Honest I have no tricks at combating cravings. What worked for me is to just commit to stop eating breads. I hated it at first, but I had to cut my carbs way low to make room for protein. I made that commitment and seriously cut back on pasta, breads, rice, etc to ensure 100-150 g of carbs. I don't know if there are any methods to get rid of the cravings than to just power through: don't keep breads in the house, cut back on eating out, and focus on nourishing yourself with delicious fat and protein food sources. I am a huge proponent of eating incredibly tasting food while dieting- I think this helps cut down on binges and cravings and overeating. Hey, we aren't allowed much food so the stuff we do eat darn well better taste awesome!

What I can say is that it does get easier. I don't crave breads at all now, and actually don't even usually want them when I do have some cals to "spend" on them. I can still have one cookie or one serving of whole wheat pasta every now and then and enjoy it, but I definitely don't miss carbs in general.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/217/130

Height: 5'3"

Thanks so much nola! I'm glad you wrote a book it really helps ;] haha! But I've been trying (and obviously failing) to start the south beach diet. I've been reading a lot of recipes on here and just trying them out.

But I think you may be right about the sensitivity to carbs now that I think about it.. Like last night we had pork loin, green beans(good stuff) and then a side of pasta and crescent rolls.. Even though I kept my portions small on the pasta and only had one roll..I just started craving the second one.. then later on before bed I had a third.. Its like it was calling my name from the kitchen!

So I think what I'll do is follow yours and indi's suggestion and just purge our house of all breads! Or at least put the bread somewhere I don't get into so my fiance can still have it.. haha! I think when I start having those cravings I'll down a glass of water to fill me up!

Thanks so much for the help ladies!! :]]
sacal96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #5  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

I'm glad you found my "book" helpful.

I hope that some of the other carb-loving folks come here and post, because I know they have some great suggestions as well. You might find that while pasta and crescent rolls awaken the carb-monster, brown rice and whole wheat bread won't. You may have to play around with that if you want to keep breads in your diet.

Best of luck; I know you can beat those cravings!
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:59 AM   #6  

I know how you feel. I too am a bread lover. I was just looking at some crescest type rolls I have in the fridge tonight, thinking that I need to make them for the family before they go bad. I know that I will want them if I do, though, so there they sit.
JenniD44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 250 / 210 / 210

Height: 6' 4"

Check the labels on the breads and look for high fiber ones. Mass market commercial bread can commonly be 1 gram of fiber per slice. I've been substituting high fiber bread (5 or 6 grams per slice) and usually 2 or 3 slices of that is filling enough for me, eaten with other good dietary items.

Last edited by darway; 05-29-2011 at 08:08 AM.
darway is offline   Reply With Quote