General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #1  
ugggg.....

Default Migranes

Any other fellow sufferers? Any herbal rememdies or lifestyle changes that have helped?

I had my first one at 30, I am now 45, I have always had headaches but the highs and lows in the weather pressure kill me...this whole crazy weather pattern is making me crazy...I also get them with TOM and when I am stressed or dont get enough sleep. My husband thinks I cant have a headache every day....but I do.

My mother started menopause at 45 and was done at 50 and never had another..fingers crossed..
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 148/141.2/117

Height: 5' 6"

I get mirgaines. I normally can say they are hormonal, but sometimes they arrive for no reason at all. I'm lucky in the fact that I can just take an OTC (Excedrine Migraine) and it normally helps. Sometimes it works for a few hours and the migraine comes back. I'm lucky in the fact that my fiance is a bit more simpathetic and knows to let me lie down in a quiet, dark room when I get one.

Try the EM and sometimes putting an icepack on your forhead or back of neck helps as well.

good luck.
Gigi33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #3  
it's always something

Mine are affected by additives in foods, especially any type of artificial sweetener. Switching to 100% real food made a big difference for me.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I have chronic daily migraines. They vary in degree so when my stress is low and all other things are perfect (weather, sleep, diet, etc.) then it's relatively mild and I maybe have pain of 3 out of 10. Usually, my pain is about a 5 or so but I've had months where it was a 7 and I've had days when it was a 9.

I've tried everything I could.....medication, herbs, acupuncture, massage, chiropractic care, meditation, homeopathy and prayer. Nothing helps me. I'm convinced that if I can go to Fiji for a month or two and just meditate and relax and get pampered, then I might get rid or them, but that's not possible of course!

If you figure something out, I'd love some help.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #5  
ND girl

Height: 5'6

Migraines *(&^^
Had them since I was 15 nothing seems to be a trigger at least not that I've found in the last 21 years. Wake up with and they are full blown, can't see or stand to hear anything.

Preventive stuff as not worked but staying away from sugar seems to be the only way to drop them from 5 a month to 1 every couple of months.

My heart goes out to each of you that suffers and will listen to any advise to prevent as long as it is't drugs.
redhead14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #6  
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

Once I got to be about 45, I started having them monthly for several days in a row (during my period). Prior to that, I'd only had them a couple of times a year. Treximet is the only drug that helped and it worked like magic!
wife2abadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 171.5/167/130

Height: 5'5"

I had my first migraine when I was 22. I used to have a couple of migraines each month - from changing weather, food additives/bad food choices, work stress, at my TOM. One of the great things about menopause is that the migraines have almost disappeared. Excedrin for Migraines helps, and I do have a prescription for Imitrex if it's really bad. You might also want to have your blood pressure checked regularly.

Hang in there - hope you're feeling better today,

Nancy
bookwmn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #8  
Quitting is NOT an option

S/C/G: SCG: 224/218/130

Height: 5'1

Caffeine! You would be surprised how caffeine can make a migraine worse or even cause one if you're drinking it in excess. When I stopped drinking caffeine, my migraines nearly vanished. I'll still get one around TOM, but they are not even half as severe as before. Just to caution, though, caffeine is not something you want to quit cold turkey if you are already susceptible to headaches and migraines. That's definitely something you would want to wean out, if that's what you chose to do.
FlipFlop Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

There's a thread about migraines in the Obstacles forum too.

I've had menstrual migraines since I was 15, though they have reduced since I cut out dairy. The annoying thing about menstrual migraines is that your major trigger will be there until menopause. The good thing is that you're forewarned and can make an effort to reduce your other triggers around your period. I don't eat chocolate around my period, for instance. I also do Fertility Awareness Method charting, as I have slightly irregular cycles, so that I know exactly when the PMS and the migraine will strike, which is no doubt even more useful for folks who have found meds that actually work.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #10  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Mine started in my teens right after an eye surgery, so I blamed that for a long time but eventually they changed 'sides' of my head randomly so I figured that wasn't it. Mine normally focus on one side of my head {the 'bad' eye} and end up behind/around one eye socket. When I started to exercise regularly they diminished in frequency and severity. I still get them, and after all this time have no idea why. I've tracked food/behavior for years with no help there. Hubby has recently begun to get them, also, exactly like mine.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Height: 5'9"

Mine started about a year after I started taking the pill. Two years later I switched over to a limited hormone birth control (constant, no withdrawal) and I haven't had once since. doesn't seem like it would apply to you, but figured I'd throw in my two cents. Good luck! They are the worst!!!
ade903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Ooh yes, random question. For people who get pain behind one eye, which eye is it? It's always the left for me.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:58 PM   #13  

I've had migrains since I was a kid. I didn't know they were migrains though until I was in my 30's. Mine also seem to be related mostly to barometric pressure changes/weather and stress. I also sometimes get visual disturbances that come right before the headache. Basically, my vision gets screwed up for about 15 minutes. Yeah, weird.

I know they say certain foods are triggers, aged cheeses, chocolate and some other things I can't think of off hand. But I guess I've never been willing to do without those particular things and I don't really know that it has anything to do with the headaches I get. I don't know of any herbal remedies. I usually pop a couple tylenol at the first sign and that at least takes the edge off. I'll be following this thread to see what other advice you get.
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #14  
On a weight loss journey

Height: 5'2"

Yes, I am a longtime migraine sufferer. What's worked for me:

-taking a magnesium supplement called Natural Calm (a magnesium deficiency will cause migraines)
-eating every 2 hours
-since I also get exertion headaches, very low impact/intensity exercising with my air conditioner blasting
-avoiding Excedrin & Advil like the plague (they cause rebound headaches) and instead using Tylenol
-also, oddly enough, avoiding really yellow foods because that particular dye (along with red 40) causes migraines
-staying out of the heat (now that it's getting warmer)
-and of course avoiding my triggers (smells, greasy food, chocolate, caffeine, etc)

If I stay consistent, I'm migraine free.
I still have to deal with headaches, but I'm working on being headache free as well.
HappilyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:26 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules1216 View Post
Any other fellow sufferers? Any herbal rememdies or lifestyle changes that have helped?

I had my first one at 30, I am now 45, I have always had headaches but the highs and lows in the weather pressure kill me...this whole crazy weather pattern is making me crazy...I also get them with TOM and when I am stressed or dont get enough sleep. My husband thinks I cant have a headache every day....but I do.

My mother started menopause at 45 and was done at 50 and never had another..fingers crossed..
I had my first one at age 9. I can remember the intense pain like it was yesterday, and crying just make a migraine worse. I'm now 32, I don't get them nearly as often as I use to ( diet and losing weight has helped ) but one of those suckers will still sneak up on me from time to time. All I can say when I get one, is that I just wish death. ( temporarily of course )
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote