Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 11:16 AM   #1  

Default losing motivation-PLEASE HELP

Help-

I"m slipping off my eating healthy wagon...it's about to run over me! I don't know what 's wrong with me lately. I"m not in the "out of control" eating mode, but I'm heading into the " I don't care" eating mode. Does anyone know what I mean? I've stuck to exercise, but the past few weeks, I keep cheating on unhealthy foods. Not binges or anything huge, but I can just feel my motivation and control slipping away. I haven't gained anything (yet). I"m just so scared I"m going to get into that "why bother" frame of mind, and gain back all 34 pounds. I think I"m discouraged because the weight is coming off so darn slowly. What do you do when you feel yourself heading this way. I"m just sick up to my eyeballs of watching every mouthful..I"m resentful of people who don't have this hanging over their heads every day...I"m starting to ramble, so I think I"ll stop now. Heading into a holiday weekend with no plans isn't helping, either. My husband is working, it's supposed to rain, and I"ll be cooped up with my three year old son bouncing off the walls. I know I"ll just want to EAT!

okay, my work break is over

please help
sherry
Old 05-22-2003, 11:29 AM   #2  
Losin It For GOOD!

Hey Sherry-
I'm sort of slipping a bit myself - into exactly what you said more of "I don't care" mode. If I want something, I haven't really been stopping myself.

I think the best thing to do at times like this is to sit down and re-write your list of reasons for doing this... and to develop some good target plans for what you are going to do to have a successful weekend.

Example: Last friday we were going to a wedding invitation addressing "party"... and I knew they were going to have pizza, a HUGE weakness of mine. So I decided to only have 2 slices of plain cheese - I went there and did exactly that and felt so proud!

You can do it girlie!! You can you can!
Old 05-22-2003, 01:41 PM   #3  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

You have to do it for you. You have to want it. Sit down and really think about all the reasons why you're losing weight. Find one that is the most personal and internalize it.

Miss Chris talked one day about being at a restaurant and watching her family pig out on nachos while she sat staring out the window whispering, "I keep my self promises - I am building a body for life." I found myself in the same situation and did the same thing - and it worked. (Thanks Chris! )
Old 05-22-2003, 01:41 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Oh gosh ladies STOP !!!!
After losing 150 lbs, keeping it off for over 10+ years, I said those exact words to myself and here I am needing to lose 80 lbs again......

S-T-O-P !!!

Don't do this to yourself, its just not worth it.... those cookies will still be on the grocery store shelf long after we are gone. Live this life happy, we don't have a second chance.

Hugs and kisses to you both...
Old 05-22-2003, 01:51 PM   #5  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Try on some pants that are a size too small, that always works for me.

Also, going to Lane Bryant & trying stuff on--that always gets me back on track.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:07 PM   #6  

Usually if I can get one healthy meal under my belt I can do well from there....try that, or shoot for one day, etc.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:50 AM   #7  
Gonna fly now!

S/C/G: 280/280/150

Height: 5'6

Ah, motivation. Such an odd thing isn't it? I know I have to have it to walk through this journey to health, but why does it go away so quickly? Why are other things able to crowd it out so easily?

I think its different for every person. The Dreams thread is a good source of mental inspiration. It reminds us of the heart of the matter. . .why do we even want this in the first place.

Then comes making ourselves do it. Sometimes when I watch movies, I see people like Meg Ryan with her great haircut and cute little clothes and it motivates me to want to look more like that. Sometimes I imagine myself thin, and so want to know what it feels like. . .you know, what will be different with people when I become thin?

You CAN do this though! If you're not feeling really motivated today, do one small thing today that you know is good for you, like drink water or go for a brisk walk. Don't tackle everything all at once. It'll come back for you!

All good thoughts. . . . . *hugs*
Old 05-23-2003, 12:17 PM   #8  

Holly - me too! I look a bit like Mary Stuart Masterson, just 150 pounds heavier! Then when I see her in something like Fried Green Tomatoes, I think: That's me at a size 4. (Not that I'd ever be a size 4....my hips are physically incapable of being smaller than a big 6!)
Old 05-23-2003, 05:08 PM   #9  
Gonna fly now!

S/C/G: 280/280/150

Height: 5'6

Jennelle ~ ~ ~ I'm so glad to know that I am not the only one who watches movies for motivation! Sometimes when I'm on the treadmill, I will pop in "You've Got Mail" or something and try to picture myself being that cute!

It really works for me!

Another thing I do, and I think I've mentioned this on the board before, is that I have a tape of all the old Police videos. Something about listening to Sting's silky voice makes my motivation world go 'round! ! !

Old 05-23-2003, 05:43 PM   #10  

I am going through some stress now and I am a stress eater ( I also eat to celebrate and every other excuse that we have) so I decided when I went to the store to buy some things that I can 'pig out' on and not do too much damage. Of course this would change depending on what plan you are using but for me it was a huge bag of navel oranges. They really are delicious and if I eat the whole bag I don't think I would gain a pound. I could have any fruit or veggie that I wanted and unless you are low carb most other plans would allow them. I got some low fat frozen yogurt with some ff chocolate syrup. Now I know I should not eat ALL of it at once but if a bowl keeps me out of the grocery stores where the Hersheys and Whitmans lurk then I have at least done damage control. Good luck this weekend. Maybe you and your son could spend some time outsidetaking a little walk in the rain (if it isn't TOO bad out) Maybe pack a picnic with all healthy and delicious foods and eat it on the living room floor. Rent a couple of movies for you and a couple for him. Read him a few books and maybe he will nap and you can watch one of those movies starring the people who inspire us. I have english cukes and tomatoes that I am making into a salad that I saw on The Other Half (Low Fat Greek) if I can find the recipe on line that looked delicious and abundant. I am going to keep it in the fridge so that I can grab it and eat it as easily as I can 'drive thru'.

You have done SOOOO well! Congrats on the more than 30 pounds you have sent packing!
Old 05-24-2003, 07:22 AM   #11  

Thank you all so much! I'm still struggling, but hopefully by the time the weekend is over, I'll be totally back on track. I"ll do one thing at time.

Bethanne...pizza! that is one of my worst cheat foods. I absolutely love it. Luckily I don't eat any red meat, so I"m not tempted by pepperoni or sausage. We're having friends over tonight, and we always get pizza. I have made it to where I can eat two pieces and stop, which is a major victory for me. I just can't stand watching my friend Sue, who is skinny and eats three or four pieces (I'm not kidding!) plus whatever other food we have-and she doesn't exercise.

I guess I've just been losing focus for the past month or so. I never have actually written down a list of why I am doing this. The food journal seems to be necessary for me to. I know I'd stick to healthy eating better if I wrote it down. I"m not going to want to write "ate three large chocolate chip cookies" down am I?

Holly, I love the Police..but you knew that, I'd started the thread about the Police on DVD a while back. I should also dig out my ancient video of U2 "Under the Blood Red Sky" concert from Red Rocks-Bono in those tight leather pants...okay, I won't to there. Are you a U2 fan also?

I did try on a blouse I bought the end of February. It was too small then, and it's still too small-but not as tight as it was back then. The weird thing is, the body of it fits-it's tight in my shoulders. How long does it take to lose weight from such a weird spot? The torso/stomach fit fine. I do fit back into some clothes I haven't worn in a few years, though, which felt great.

I have rambled enough.

Thanks again everyone-
Sherry
Old 05-24-2003, 12:51 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

shoulders are sometimes just genetics... and they type of exercise you do. i was a swimmer for years, and am getting back into it. i have the shoulders of the olympic butterfly medalists -- that is to say, really broad! tailored shirts don't fit me right across the shoulders either. i'm not too sure how much that will change. probably not at all.
Old 05-24-2003, 03:29 PM   #13  

Well I know excactly what your going through. I am in the same place or coming out of that place. My reality check was to find out that I am just one pound shy of my all time high weight. So I'm kicking my but back in order now.

Good luck!

Bella23
Old 05-25-2003, 08:25 PM   #14  

Default I can so relate...

I went off on a business/personal trip for two weeks and came back with an extra 7 pounds (and I'm not talking luggage!). I'm back where I was in early April.

I'm angry with myself; told myself that this time I wasn't going to fall back. And I can't seem to get with it at home -- all my good habits and willpower seem to have vanished. And what's worse, my self esteem is completely down the drain, too -- like I'm a big failure and I'll never make it, so why even try (which is completely not like me).

I'm going to try some of the ideas on this post and see if I, too, can swing back. Good luck to you all.

Cheers,

Kimberelly

SW: TOO BIG/CW: STILL TOO BIG/Goal: Just Right
Old 05-26-2003, 11:25 AM   #15  

Kimberelly - The first thing you need to do is erase those negative thoughts! You're NOT a failure - unless you give up. You can do this!
Closed Thread