Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #1  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Default Setting Goals That Will Get You There

This was posted on the WW Facebook page today. I think it's some great advice as you look to the future. We all sometimes set goals that are unrealistic then make excuses as to why we didn't achieve them. This short article gives suggestions on setting yourself up for success.

Setting Goals That Will Get You There
Article By: Melissa Sperl

Make sure your weight goal is a winning goal.

If you don't know where you're going, you won't know how to get there. That's why it's so important that you set realistic attainable goals.

Think about what you want to be the result of your efforts - your ultimate goal. Then use this goal to guide your decisions and actions. Just make sure it is:

Positive: "I will get to my weight goal," not "I won't be heavy anymore."
If you state your goals in the negative, you'll be constantly reminding yourself what you don't want, and not necessarily what you do want. You'll arrive at your ultimate goal sooner if you start--and stay--with the positive.

Within your control: "I will achieve my weight goal by making healthy food choices" not "I will achieve my goal when I start traveling less for work."
If your goal relies on the actions of others, and "they" or "it" don't come through, you won't achieve it. Keep the power and control with you.

Specific: "I will achieve my weight goal by following the plan and keeping track of the food I eat."
Answering the what, when and how of the things you want will help you to know whether or not you've succeeded. For example, "This week (when), I will follow the plan (what) to lose weight-by keeping track of the food I eat, and moving more whenever I can (how)."

A good fit with your life: Ask yourself: Does my ultimate goal make sense in my life?
Your ultimate goal is sure to bring about changes in your life - in your relationships, your career, your family. Ask yourself: "Will I have to give up any of the positives in my life that come with the way things are now?" Then, "Am I willing to do that?"

For example, it could be that your family goes out for pizza every Friday night. It makes sense that you'd enjoy that - it's fun. So if your ultimate goal requires that you change a family tradition, it may not be a good fit with your life.

If your ultimate goal isn't a good fit with your life, modify it. For example: "This week, I'll follow the plan to lose weight, and I'll save my weekly PointsPlus™ Allowance for meals with my family.

© 2011 Weight Watchers International, Inc. © 2011 WeightWatchers.com, Inc. All rights reserved.
WEIGHT WATCHERS and PointsPlus™ are the registered trademarks of Weight Watchers International, Inc. and are used under license by WeightWatchers.com, Inc.
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote