General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #1  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Question My yoga instructor wants ME to sub!?

So after my yoga class at the Y tonight, my yoga instructor whom I adore approached me about giving me some extra training and getting me up to speed so I could sub for her sometimes. It'd mean a free YMCA membership for my husband and me, which is a big financial help as we really scraped to get the membership in the first place.

I'm so excited about this--but also so alarmed, because I'm a total novice at yoga. I have a lot to learn and...well frankly, the idea of my teaching a fitness class--even a beginners' class--is absolutely astonishing to me, as I have been such a sedentary person. But I LOVE this class and I LOVE the instructor, so I've really taken to it.

I'm also worried that people might not want to be led through an hour of yoga by a fat chick, y'know? Like, am I really a viable proof of concept in my current "during" shape?

I would love to say yes, but I don't want to embarrass myself or worse, get people injured from lack of knowledge. What would y'all do in this situation? I never expected such a thing to happen.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 258/234/138

Height: 5'5.5

Wow. How Flattering!

Do it! (If you think you could be committed to learning how to teach with proper form).

RE how people would react to being taught by a fat chick? I honestly think some people may pre-judge if they aren't used to seeing you in the class maybe but I feel like folks who are used to seeing you in class wouldn't think too hard about it and even the skeptics would probably not care once they thought you could teach.

BUT i think folks who practice yoga more "authentically" wouldn't react badly at all. Yoga isn't superficial and honestly I think it may even be inspiring. I used to practice regularly and I was much more inspired by the older heavier man who I could see really trying to ease into every pose than I was by my muscular very athletic teacher( even though my teacher was great). I think seeing someone do poses and sequences who has a non fitness instructor body would be very powerful.

Namaste
gmailjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

Haha

I saw this thread from the Forum page. All you could see of the title was "My Yoga instructor wants ME" I clicked on it thinking it would be some cool story about wanting to have a fling with some hot, toned, flexible, chill yoga instructor. Oh well.

Still a good story. What a complement. Even though your only a novice that doesn't mean you can't be a great teacher. Usually the best NFL coaches were average players. Students could probably relate to you better than some sorority girl whose been in shape her whole life and doesn't know what its like to struggle with weight. You'll all learn together.

Good Luck
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #4  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

I hope you have so much fun. Congrats.

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #5  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I think it's AWESOME and I would go for it! Personally, I'd be more comfortable seeing someone with a real body doing the instructing rather than someone without an ounce of body fat on them. I'm afraid of yoga because I'm so big. Having someone with a little fluff on them tell me, "Hey, if I can do this, you can do this! Let me show you!" would ease my mind immensely.

Who knows... Maybe you could end up running your own classes for those fluffy chicks too nervous to go to the class now!
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:04 AM   #6  
ugggg.....

awesome!! I say go for it!!
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Hmm... that's interesting. I admittedly haven't heard of a novice being given the responsibility (and really for your sake I mean liability) of managing a yoga class. Has she cleared this with the Y? Most yoga instructors hired by gyms have to be at least 200-RYT certified by Yoga Alliance so they know how to accommodate injury and modify poses for those who need them. Make sure the Y is okay with it before you guys proceed and make sure you are fully informed of the liability you may face being a yoga instructor before accepting it. You definitely do not want to get caught in a bad situation if something goes awry in a class. If all that's squared away then have fun!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #8  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

You should totally do it! That's exciting, who knows maybe you'll find a new career path or something?!
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #9  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

That is fantastic!!!
Obviously you've impressed your yoga instructor good on ya!!!
And just my 2 cents, you may be surprised how many ppl might be more comfortable and willing to try yoga out if it was a 'fat chick' teaching, I know I would feel more comfortable and be thinking ok maybe I can do this too and be willing to give it a go.
That sounds rude Its really not meant to so I hope no one takes offense.
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

Go for it!

But find out more about the extra training and getting up to speed and whether there are expenses associated with that. And who knows the certification requirements may be less stringent for a sub instructor.(?) You probably need first aid and CPR certification at the minimum. Check with your local health department or fire department for class info.

I personally would love to go to your yoga class!
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #11  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Yep, the additional training and the possible liability were concerns for me as well. My instructor is a longtime pro--she's in her late sixties, but has amazing strength and flexibility--and she's logged hundreds upon hundreds of hours of training plus thousands more of teaching. I am flattered beyond belief that she'd consider training me up, but I would be uncomfortable leading others for quite a while only because I would want everyone to be safe.

On the other hand, I would LOVE the opportunity to work with such a fantastic teacher more and eventually help her out with the entry-level classes. As for CPR and first aid courses, I'm sure that would be no problem, as I was certified once upon a time and would have a pretty easy time of going through the course again for up-to-date certification.

LisaP--I was VERY worried about going to that yoga class the first day and just felt sure I'd be surrounded by willowy women who could tie themselves into pretzels. Instead, the instructor made me feel completely welcome from the very beginning and I found that I was not "the fat chick" in class, but one of many who carried some or a lot of extra weight. Yoga just feels beautiful; it's not bouncy and jouncy and jiggly, it flows and stretches and leaves me feeling totally renewed. I don't get into Zumba and other group-focused exercise, but this...this is an hour of heaven. If you have access to a yoga class, I really hope you give it a try.

Coondocks--nope, that didn't sound at all rude. In fact, I kind of hope that that'll be the case and that seeing a body that is a work in progress would put people at ease. Of course, by the time I actually feel okay to sub for my instructor, I might already have reached my weight goal--but I'll be happy to show pictures of my "before" and "during" states to anyone who asks.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #12  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

My advice, being the yoga widower, I am would be to JUMP on the invite! As a YMCA instuctor she must be able to train you for what is required in your state and also prepare you for liability issues.

Angie is certified and has taken training classes of well over 200 hours in the last few years. She teaches a regular class at the studio then subs when she can and also teaches it at our church as a ministry for the congregation and residence of our area.

Good luck and have some fun doing things you never thought possible

Last edited by EZMONEY; 05-22-2011 at 07:00 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:24 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Asking someone to sub who hasn't had any training other than attending yoga classes is kind of scary. Do you know how to modify poses for students with injuries? Give adjustments to students so they aren't hurting themselves in a pose? Will you be insured by the gym?

Maybe tell her you are flattered and then ask her to recommend a yoga teacher training near you so that you can get trained, and then sub.

I wouldn't care if my teacher was heavy, but I would care if she was a novice with no training. Maybe ask why your teacher thinks you are qualified to sub? Loving yoga isn't enough to suddenly be able to teach it.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

seagirl I had similar concerns (see my above post). Nola, I would be really concerned participating in a class being taught by someone who wasn't Yoga Alliance-certified, which is all but required to teach yoga in the US. This requires at least 200 hours of training by a certified trainer, not just any yoga teacher.

I know people who have incurred injuries or had previous ones exacerbated because the teacher did not give proper instruction. I have also participated in classes taught by people who were clearly not prepared to teach classes and complained to the head of the studio. If I had found out I had paid to be taught by someone who was only given a few hours of training by another yoga teacher, I would not be happy.

This may come across as harsh, but I don't want you to enter into a situation that could be a setup for trouble. In my post earlier I was a little hesitant to be so blunt, but upon rethinking it I really would advise you not to do it. I've been doing yoga at intermediate to advanced levels for five years from schools of hatha, Iyenger, Bihar, and Ashtanga (including 1 year of yoga in India) and I would absolutely not feel comfortable teaching any sort of yoga class, even a beginner one.

(again this is coming from a place of support, not criticism, so I hope this post doesn't cause offense!)
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiblue View Post
seagirl I had similar concerns (see my above post). Nola, I would be really concerned participating in a class being taught by someone who wasn't Yoga Alliance-certified, which is all but required to teach yoga in the US. This requires at least 200 hours of training by a certified trainer, not just any yoga teacher.

I know people who have incurred injuries or had previous ones exacerbated because the teacher did not give proper instruction. I have also participated in classes taught by people who were clearly not prepared to teach classes and complained to the head of the studio. If I had found out I had paid to be taught by someone who was only given a few hours of training by another yoga teacher, I would not be happy.

This may come across as harsh, but I don't want you to enter into a situation that could be a setup for trouble. In my post earlier I was a little hesitant to be so blunt, but upon rethinking it I really would advise you not to do it. I've been doing yoga at intermediate to advanced levels for five years from schools of hatha, Iyenger, Bihar, and Ashtanga (including 1 year of yoga in India) and I would absolutely not feel comfortable teaching any sort of yoga class, even a beginner one.

(again this is coming from a place of support, not criticism, so I hope this post doesn't cause offense!)
I think that if you read her posts, you will see she isn't just going to jump into it and start teaching. She has to go through the training and complete all the requirements before becoming a sub.

I say go for it! Take those classes and learn how to teach. Everyone should have a job they love to do!
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote