Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-21-2011, 02:33 AM   #1  
ish

S/C/G: 239/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Is the 30 Day Shred a good place to start?

I want to get serious about my weight loss and I know that regular exercise would be enough of a commitment to keep my diet in check. The problem is, I've never gotten "into" any kind of exercise. I also just don't have any idea how to strength train and I don't have access to a gym...

I was thinking this dvd might be a good way to begin because it's fairly short, includes strength and cardio, and has a set goal of 30 days.

I just finished day one and it was truly difficult for me at my fitness level. I was out of breath and sweating like crazy, but I felt great afterwards. I almost forgot how good it can feel to exert yourself.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone's had any experience with the program. Were pounds lost? I know myself well enough to know that gaining muscle alone will discourage me, and that's the last thing I want starting out. I know muscle is important but I need a kick start in the weight loss department to get the ball rolling.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:40 AM   #2  
ish

S/C/G: 239/ticker/165

I forgot to underline just how out of shape and exercise-phobic I am. This is the first day I've followed through on a vow to exercise in 8 months of idly planning to start exercising tomorrow.

I am truly lazy and I want to find a route to appreciating, and maybe even liking, exercise.
ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #3  

Morning ish!

My opinion is that whatever is going to get you moving, and you are excited about it a good exercise to do! when I first started to exercise I did Richard Simmons 20 minute Blast off videos because I, like you was lazy and did not want to put effort into it. After I started to move, and saw the results and it took me to new places in my exercise. I now love a large variaty of exercises and I know that exercise is what has helped me maintain my weight loss this far in my journey. So, I say the 30 day shred is a GREAT way to get yourself moving
yenny58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #4  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

I loved doing the Shred. It was super hard at the beginning, but when you do it everyday it is exciting to see yourself get better at it. Keep it up!
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Personally, I find the 30 Day Shred, really, really hard. I hate any exercise that uses my own body resistance and things like squats, lunges and push ups KILL me. Plus, I don't give a crap what Jillian says, when you have a big belly, jumping jacks HURT. And, since I'm going to have enough extra skin anyway the pounding of my belly up and down can't be good for that cause.

And, despite my weight, I'm in pretty good shape now. I exercise pretty much daily and can run 3 miles straight.

If you are truly out of shape, it is my opinion you should start with something a little more low impact. DVD's like Zumba or other dance ones that work more on the cardio would be good. I would also suggest WALK, WALK, WALK. Walk some stairs, walk outside - that is a great place to begin!! You can also get some light weights or use cans of food to start building some muscle.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

We have similar starting and goal weights as well as height.

I did 30DS and I LOVED it! Hard? Yes, but worth it. I gained a lot of muscle definition from this DVD and I still get compliments on my arms. :-)

I *hate* most cardio but the amount of cardio on this DVD is doable, IMO. I did 10 days at each level. I was most sore the day after the first day of Level 1. I really thought I wouldn't be able to continue. However, if you push through it, you'll find that it gets easier. I actually find Level 2 to be harder than Level 3...but all of that depends upon what exercises you struggle with. Do it, you'll like it, I'm sure!

Also, visit the 30 Day Shred thread (I think there are several) in the Exercise forum.

Last edited by Cali Doll; 05-21-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #7  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

We have similar starting sizes too and I started with the 30Day Shred and really liked it! Yep, it definitely helped me lose weight too! I've done a number of things: running, swimming, 30 Day Shred... I'm not really getting into lifting and I love that! In the end the best exercise is one that you can stick with. That's where the 30 Day Shred works well because it's short, can be done every day, and has 3 different workouts so you have something to work up to. Also, you can choose your own weights so you can always make the workouts harder. Good stuff!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

I started this and used it every other day. At the beginning, it killed me. I used my elliptical on the other day. I agree with Cali Doll. This made my arms look GREAT. I think my upper body looks the best it has ever looked. Once I got to level 3 and was good at it, I moved on to Jillian's Quick Trouble Zones and her Boost Metabolism, Burn Fat.

It was hard for me doing the jumping jacks at first because I weighed so much. I got a really supportive sports bra, and that helped me.
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/156/125

Height: 5'2

hey! I love Jillian's 30DS. I'm on day 10 of level 1, about to hit level 2, and dreading the difficulty increase!! XD It is high impact though, lots of jumping jacks, pretend-jump rope, "butt-kicks", press-ups, deep squats and crunches... but it sure makes you sweat and after two or three weeks (I spread out my days ) my arms are like ROCK!
Marchmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #10  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie99 View Post
Personally, I find the 30 Day Shred, really, really hard. I hate any exercise that uses my own body resistance and things like squats, lunges and push ups KILL me. Plus, I don't give a crap what Jillian says, when you have a big belly, jumping jacks HURT. And, since I'm going to have enough extra skin anyway the pounding of my belly up and down can't be good for that cause.

And, despite my weight, I'm in pretty good shape now. I exercise pretty much daily and can run 3 miles straight.

If you are truly out of shape, it is my opinion you should start with something a little more low impact. DVD's like Zumba or other dance ones that work more on the cardio would be good. I would also suggest WALK, WALK, WALK. Walk some stairs, walk outside - that is a great place to begin!! You can also get some light weights or use cans of food to start building some muscle.
I'm not familiar with 30-day shred, but I respectfully disagree with you about bodyweight exercises ... they are a GREAT way to start, and if you find they kill you, you are probably not in as good shape as you think you are.

That was my experience - I was lifting on machines and thought I was lifting pretty heavy until I tried a simple bodyweight routine and found I could not handle it - I lacked the core strength and the balance and the coordination to do it. I stopped lifting iron until I mastered the bodyweight exercises, and the result was rapid changes in my body composition (read: loss of a couple of sizes over several months) as well as tremendous increases in real, functional strength that I could actually use for things like hauling around sacks of cat litter.

Curling a 2-pound can of soup is a pretty useless exercise, in my opinion. If you really want to get stronger, do some angled push-ups or push-ups off your knees. That will exercise your entire upper body and your core. If doing squats kills you, then your core and legs are weak - barring some injury, you should be squatting and strengthening those muscles, not avoiding squats. And this is true even if you are terribly out of shape. You may not be able to drop and give me 20 on your first day, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be starting with body weight exercises.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:55 PM   #11  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

30DS is where I started and I still do that workout from time to time. It got me addicted to fitness.
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

I've been working out consistently for a while and just did w1d1 of the 30 day shred this evening. Kicked me hard, but I managed it. And it's kinda fun, in a weird way. It definitely works your body hard. What it'll mean in the long run weight wise, I can't say, I'm doing it for the toning and strength benefits, which are just as important to me.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote