Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 226/158.2/137

Height: 5'6

Default What is your best work out tip?

What's the best advice or work out tip someone gave you that helps keep you motivated, injury free or excited to work out?

For me it was a Kim Kardashian tip I read in a Cosmo a long time ago...she suggested sleeping in your work out clothes. That way in the morning you can literally roll out of bed and into the gym. Saves time and stress for me and ensures I get to those early work outs.

Any other tips or suggestions?
nineoceansaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

The best advice I ever received was that it was OK to start out small.

I didn't need to run 60 minutes on a treadmill from day 1 in order for it to count as exercise.

5 minutes here. 10 minutes there. And build up. It adds up, and it's a LOT better than absolutely no movement.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #3  
amber

S/C/G: 318/288.8/220

Height: 5'5"

Do something you like, change it up, don't think you have to do it all in one day. But, try to do something every day.
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:44 PM   #4  

Don't tie exercise to the success of your weight loss. Exercise in itself (without weight loss) is amazingly good for your body. So rather than focus on how exercise may (or may not) be helping you become thinner, focus on how it's helping you become fitter. In the two months I've been on plan and exercising, I've lost 11 lbs. This is not insignificant, but I expected more. However, I haven't given up exercising because I've noticed things internally about myself that have improved. My back isn't sore in the morning anymore. I can actually feel my leg muscles. I have increased endurance for being active with friends. I sleep better. I like my body more. I am more engaged with my neighborhood and neighbors.
If you notice HOW exercise makes you feel (not just the sore muscles!), you'll be a lot more likely to do it regularly.
TerraIncognita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #5  
amber

S/C/G: 318/288.8/220

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraIncognita View Post
Don't tie exercise to the success of your weight loss. Exercise in itself (without weight loss) is amazingly good for your body. So rather than focus on how exercise may (or may not) be helping you become thinner, focus on how it's helping you become fitter. In the two months I've been on plan and exercising, I've lost 11 lbs. This is not insignificant, but I expected more. However, I haven't given up exercising because I've noticed things internally about myself that have improved. My back isn't sore in the morning anymore. I can actually feel my leg muscles. I have increased endurance for being active with friends. I sleep better. I like my body more. I am more engaged with my neighborhood and neighbors.
If you notice HOW exercise makes you feel (not just the sore muscles!), you'll be a lot more likely to do it regularly.
I'll second that. My knee that used to be sore, isn't anymore. The painful back I had every morning doesn't happen anymore. My emotions are sooo much more stable. My monthly cramps aren't nearly as bad. My stamina has gotten better. And, just knowing I am doing something- though I am not close to where I want to be. Knowing I am working on it my confidence is so much better. And, I feel happier out in public than I had before. The internal changes are amazing and wonderful and just as important as the weight loss. Maybe even more important for some.
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:07 PM   #6  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I no longer kick my own butt every time I go to the gym. I make sure to get in a good sweat and I put more emphasis into strength training (using heavy, heavy weights).
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

For me, it's knowing that exercise helps keep my stress levels in check, which means that my DH doesn't have to deal with me being a basket case.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

My two biggest:

-Same time, no excuses. I am not a morning person but I learned to do it in the morning. It's part of my routine. I let myself "sleep in" one day in a work week and make that one up on the weekend.
-Hand in hand with that- the "day off" when I feel like it has been crucial. Sometimes I wake up and I really am not feeling going to the gym. I don't force myself, and just decide that that's the day. Other times, I plan it because I know I'll be exhausted in the morning for whatever reason. Yes, sometimes you need to push yourself and you're not always going to feel like working out, but if you really resent the idea, you probably need some rest and you'll get a killer workout the next day instead of feeling bitter and burned out. (Also, this isn't as true when you're just starting a routine, because to me, that part is torture and I needed to power through it!)

Last edited by djs06; 05-18-2011 at 11:49 AM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #9  

My best advice is to make it count.

That means a couple of things:
1, don't just half arse it during your workout, you're wasting your time.
2, Midway through your workout, really push yourself harder. This is the time to make it count. You got to the gym, you've started your routine, now push push push until you know you can do no better.

Then celebrate your personal accomplishment by journalling what you've done. Keep a journal and look back after 6 months and celebrate how far you've come.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:01 AM   #10  
Workout Spaz

S/C/G: 219/217/195

Height: 5'8.25"

For me it was breathing through the workout. I bought Ripped in 30 and I couldn't make it past the running man cardio without having to stop from lightheadedness. I modified that part of the workout into something I could do that was equally active and remembered to breath through it all. It was hard but I was pretty happy with myself once I successfully completed it.
EgyptianMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #11  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

- Finding something I ENJOY. Exercise does not have to be torture. I can do things that are FUN. AND I have found somethings actually become fun once I am capable of doing them (like running!)

- Even just a little bit can show big differences.

- You can't "spot reduce" your fat... BUT you can firm up specific muscles which will hold up the fat! (My jelly rolls are smaller! Yay!)
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #12  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Do something that you enjoy, that doesn't hurt you.
It's no good working out and causing an injury that's going to put you out of commission for months and then you have to start over
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

If you can read a book or talk on the phone during cardio you aren't working hard enough. Get an IPOD with fast music and jam to the music!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 208(preg)/179/135?

Height: 5'3"

*That 1200 calories really isn't a good amount of food a day when working out, you should need more.

*Your body does need day(s) off from the gym

*Log your work outs and cardio. I noticed I work harder when I have to log it.
ryeb is offline   Reply With Quote