General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-18-2011, 04:30 AM   #1  
Need to stay motivated!!

S/C/G: 202/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Default Extreme couponing

Does anyone watch that show? I was in shock watching one woman pay $46 for over a $1000 worth of groceries!
NiteOwlMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I think it is just another name for hoarding. Those groceries will reach their expiration date long before you will be ready to use them.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/143/135ish

Height: 5'2

I think its a bit excessive especially when people are just storing all that stuff that they buy. The thing is if you use what your family consumes and you save on some of the other stuff, it would be an ideal choice to take some of that stuff to a food pantry, shelter or to someone who may need it. Even you could go in with a neighbor and make it a co-op type thing where everyone can benefit. I agree that if you're couponing just to go to the store and save like this show presents you're bound for the next reality show: Hoarders: Buried Alive.
RachaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:26 AM   #4  
saggzz

S/C/G: 222/205.6/170

Height: 5'9"

I agree with Rachael. WHo needs 20 boxes of Fruit Loops? I would never have the patience to do all that couponing and research as to what is on sale.
saggzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I do good to save $5 or $6 with coupons when I shop. I don't have the patience to do more!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I wonder if some of them buy things they really don't need -- not just in quantities they don't need -- because of the thrill of "scoring" on a discount. Kind of like the high some get from gambling. It must be very validating of one's intelligence & resourcefulness to see those register tapes & to think you've used your wits to successfully game the system.

I know I'm happy when something that I use a lot goes on sale & I also have a coupon for it. (But that convergence happens -- I don't know -- once a month at best? For a stick of deodorant, or sugarfree Jell-O pudding cups, or maybe a carton of Eggland's Best? Or, if I'm really, really lucky, for a cup of Fage?)

But what do I know? I live in a NY-sized apartment. I've got a kitchen slightly bigger than a galley kitchen, with no room for a table & chairs, & I haven't got a lot of pantry storage & my fridge isn't even as big as many suburban folks'. So I cannot live like the Extreme Couponers or I'd have food piled in my bedroom & living room & etc. And I don't want to live that way. Quality of life: Serenity that comes from space & a few nice things, carefully placed, with air circulating around them. That's my priority over "scoring" at the grocery store.

Last edited by saef; 05-18-2011 at 09:57 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:57 AM   #7  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Our stores do not double coupons but what I have seen of this show is wierd. Who needs a whole room for toothpaste. It seems to me these people buy a whole bunch of stuff they are never going to use before it goes bad. I think these people will end up on hoarders next.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

A lot of them do donate their excess, particularly when they buy things that they don't use (in one case, Walgreens was basically paying people $5 a piece to take a blood glucose meter out of the store after rebates and coupons and etc, so a woman bought 10 and donated them to a free clinic). Most of the sites that these couponers use have a "charity" designation - a flag indicating a deal that is free or near-free to pick up and donate to charity. Many of them will pick up free toiletry items and make kits to ship to troops.

I disagree that it is hoarding if well-managed. The idea is to buy as much as you can use before expiration at a rock bottom price. Now SOME do have some hoarding type behaviors (buying diapers if you don't have kids yet, etc), but on items that don't go bad (paper towels, shampoo, deodorant, etc), it makes sense to buy them when they are really cheap or free, store them, and then use them as needed...if you think about it, you use a LOT of paper towels if the timeline is "over a lifetime". On food items, if you get a free/very cheap price, it makes sense to buy as much as you can use before the item expires. That's how these people get the sort of % off they get...each week, they don't NEED to buy cereal, bread, etc. They only have to buy things that are nearly free or free because they have everything they need in that stockpile at home.

You can't "extreme coupon" without a stockpile...it's necessary to have items you use regularly on hand (obtained cheaply) so that you never have to buy something at full price. And most people who coupon like that are vigilant about food not going to waste, and will manage those stockpiles so that things don't go bad, whether that's by accurately guessing what their family will use, or donating to food pantries a month or two before expiration dates come along.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I questioned this last season. I saw an episode where one man had shelves built into his basement for all his stuff. He literally had shelves and shelves of deodorant and body wash (for men) and shampoo to last him the rest of his life. Hundreds of containers. And he was in his 40s or 50s. THEN he went to the store, because shampoo was on sale, and bought more.

They didn't say he donated it. To me, this constitutes hoarding...buying keeping more than you would ever use in your lifetime and buying more just to sit on a shelf. At some point, it's wasting money. Even if they're paying $5 for a cubic ton of shampoo, that's $5 for something they will never, ever use or give to anyone. To me, that is a waste of money.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #10  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

We had a discussion thread about this a few months ago. I, too, think it is a form of hoarding. Last season, 1 guy bought several hundred boxes of cereal because he got them free and donated ALL of them to his church's food pantry. That's cool.

One woman last season even admitted that her family is not allowed to touch anything. It was like a trophy for her.

I love coupons. None of the stores around here double. I don't spend all day on the computer looking for them. I use them for what I need at the time. I would use them to buy extra TP, paper towels and zipper baggies. I don't need 100 tubes of deodorant.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #11  
Moderating Mama

I think they may have some compulsive shopping tendencies, but "hoarding" is a specific term that indicates both collecting items that have little or no value and collecting items to a point that it causes distress and results in significant clutter such that living spaces cannot be used for the purposes they're intended (for example, all the showers in the house filled up with stuff). A well-organized stockpile in the garage of useful items, even if it's filling empty spaces in the house, under beds, etc, doesn't meet the definition, even if the items are purchased compulsively.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #12  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I think they may have some compulsive shopping tendencies, but "hoarding" is a specific term that indicates both collecting items that have little or no value and collecting items to a point that it causes distress and results in significant clutter such that living spaces cannot be used for the purposes they're intended (for example, all the showers in the house filled up with stuff). A well-organized stockpile in the garage of useful items, even if it's filling empty spaces in the house, under beds, etc, doesn't meet the definition, even if the items are purchased compulsively.
What about the woman who used every single closet filled to overflowing? She had kids and she didn't seem to mind telling all of us that they, the kids, were not allowed in their closets because it is her stash. What did they do with all their clothes?

Last season, one guy was discussed by the fact that his wife was now taking over his room. She used the entire garage, spare bedroom, living room and was now taking over his space. It was only the 2 of them. She bought hundreds of bottles of soda that even he said they'd probably never drink.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #13  
Moderating Mama

Again, some of them are undoubtedly deviating into hoarding by taking over useable spaces in their house, as I said in my first post. But the fact that some hoarders use coupons to hoard doesn't make extreme couponing just another form of hoarding.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
I think it is just another name for hoarding. Those groceries will reach their expiration date long before you will be ready to use them.
exactly. I'm all for coupons, but that is ridiculous.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #15  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

I agree with the hoarding comments. In order to use coupons you have to buy the items the coupons are for and what if you don't really need it or need so much of that one item? How come there are no coupons for the stuff I need? And you save even more money if you don't coupon on the stuff you don't need.
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote