Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 05-17-2011, 11:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 251/251/190

Height: 5"7

Default Smartbite

Last year I read an Article in a magazine talking about the history of a product called "Smartbite" I wanted it immediately. The idea behind it is very very simple. It is an insert that you put on the roof of your mouth and it forcing you to eat smaller bites, thus getting full faster. It also gaurentees weight loss or you get all of your money back (which it should since it costs $500!) I know its stupid and a waste of money, but all of the other tactics like smaller bites, smaller plates, chewing 30 times, putting your fork down....none of them would work because I would forget about what I was trying to do. This forces you to eat smaller bites. Anyone ever heard of it? Im pretty sure its a Canada only product. Ive been waiting for reviews to show up online and none have after more than a year.
Any one know anything?
westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:07 AM   #2  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Im In BC and i have never heard of it????
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #3  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I am in Alberta and haven't heard of it either. Sounds like a weird idea to me. Are you going to wear that 24/7 until you die?
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

Lol. I have never heard of this either. Seems awkward. I rather have an appetite suppressant.
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #5  
Love me.

S/C/G: 207/T/135

Height: 5'10"

I think that you can just focus on eating more slowly and chewing more of your food without spending $500.
AshleyLaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #6  
Started IP: 4/4/2014

S/C/G: 154/See Ticker/125

Height: 5'0''

I looked it up because I hadn't heard of it. It is a Canadian company. I think you can achieve everything this device provides by paying attention and eating the right things in moderation. I wouldn't invest this amount of money in something like this, especially when the website doesn't even talk about diet or exercise.

Taken from the SMARTbite website:

How does SMARTbite work?
SMARTbite is a safe, removable, custom made device that is placed comfortably in the upper palate (the roof of the mouth) only while eating. SMARTbite decreases your oral capacity, so you take smaller bites, which slows food intake and allows onset of your body's satiety response. Because using SMARTbite requires more chewing of food, it permits more savouring and tasting of your meal. Slowing intake to trigger your body’s satiety response and enjoying your food makes you feel satisfied on less.

Each SMARTbite includes an embedded microsensor and reader that enables you to monitor your usage and progress on a secure website - like an automatic "journal," which can be an important part of losing weight. This journal can be used for up to a year and shows easy-to-read daily, weekly and monthly results.

How is SMARTbite different from other weight loss solutions?
SMARTbite is not a pill, a supplement, a program, a special diet or a surgical therapy. It is a non surgical, removable, safe, effective, affordable weight loss device that has been validated in several clinical trials. At a time when overweight and obese populations are reaching new heights around the world, SMARTbite Weight Loss offers a safe, easy to use tool that can be used alone or in combination with other solutions.

What is satiety and how will it help me lose weight?
Satiety is your body’s build-in defense mechanism that guards against overeating. On average, it takes approximately 10 – 15 minutes for satiety to begin – for your stomach to tell your brain that it has had enough. Because modern lifestyles are so rushed, we have become used to gulping our meals (and too many calories) in just a few bites and leaving us with a sense of hunger. Because SMARTbite slows your rate of eating, it will allow you to feel satisfied from a meal after consuming less of it (and fewer calories).

Do I need to eat a special diet when I use SMARTbite?
SMARTbite Weight Loss does not require a special diet or food. However, eating a variety of healthy, fresh food is better than a diet of highly processed, high calorie foods. SMARTbite requires that you take responsibility for change, and the effectiveness of your SMARTbite can be maximized by adopting a healthier lifestyle.
Chrztina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I would think that wearing it while eating would make you feel like you were choking. As a teen, I couldn't even eat with my retainer in without feeling like I was gagging (and everyone else in high school with a retainer seemed to feel the same way. We would all take ours out, put it in a corner of our tray and cover it with a napkin (because we thought it was gross-looking), and pray we wouldn't forget about it when we cleaned our tray into the garbage - Almost everyone I knew with a retainer, accidentally threw it away at least once (I laughed so hard when I saw the scene in which the parents are hunting for the kids retainer in the school cafeteria garbage dumpster, I think the movie was the original Fatherhood with Steve Martin).

Last edited by kaplods; 05-25-2011 at 06:01 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Something I have and would consider first, is using a miniature fork. When I was a teenager, I would use my baby sisters' baby untensils (It drove my mother absolutely nuts, because she'd go to get the spoons to feed the baby and it would be gone, because I'd used it).

Not only did it work well for me as portion control, the utensils were just so darned adorable, it was fun.

I've seriously considered buying baby spoons and forks or shrimp forks. I almost bought an antique set of silver teaspoons in an antique store because they were so tiny and perfectly sized (with pretty flowered china handles), but the set was huge (12 or more) and very expensive.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-25-2011 at 06:41 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I think this would be a huge waste of money. You can do the same thing by eating smaller portions. It also sounds very uncomfortable.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote