Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202.5/189/120

Height: 5'2

Default Running and ankle injury

Hi everyone, I have never really run before or at least not since school. I am seriously considering trying it and have read most of the sticky thread. What I need to ask is is it a bad idea to run with an ankle injury that is not really going to get much better soon. I sprained my ankle back in October and went to the doctor because I was still experiencing pain in March, she said I probably had tendon damage and said there was little I could do about it without physio (which I can't afford). She just gave me some ibuprofen gel. Would running for weight-loss be a bad idea for my ankle or might it even help?

Last edited by roobear; 05-15-2011 at 05:45 PM.
roobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #2  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Probably a bad idea. I sprained my ankle about 10 weeks ago and have probably have created a chronic condition because I never rested it. It's still swells up sometimes and I still have limited range of motion. I will say though that I didn't rest because it never hurt and still doesn't hurt when I run. I'm not an expert in injuries by any means but I'd consult a doctor. Your only other option is to run and see how it feels. If it hurts at all I'd say try and find something else to do.

Last edited by ncuneo; 05-15-2011 at 08:43 PM.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

If you could afford to visit a physio therapist just once so he/she could show you some good exercises for your ankle, it would be well worth it... But I would not run on a bad ankle till it's completely healed...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #4  

ncuneo, what you described is common. Tendonitis in the foot and ankle often hurts the day after a run. Tendonitis is little tears in the tendon. Each time you over use the foot, you run the risk of those tears ripping entirely for which surgery is needed to repair.

roobear, do you have any alternatives like bike or eliptical or swimming?
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #5  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Fitness, it really doesn't hurt only when I turn it in the direction of the sprain to far, but that has been continually improving. What's not really improving is the swelling...is it all related? When I point my foot I look like there's a golf ball on the outside of my ankle. When it's flexed it just looks slightly swollen.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post
Fitness, it really doesn't hurt only when I turn it in the direction of the sprain to far, but that has been continually improving. What's not really improving is the swelling...is it all related? When I point my foot I look like there's a golf ball on the outside of my ankle. When it's flexed it just looks slightly swollen.
Sounds pretty serious still! A golf ball in your ankle is pretty pronounced, but that's my non-medical opinion. Keep icing and resting it.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 202.5/189/120

Height: 5'2

I don't own a bike and haven't ridden since primary school. As with the physio I can't afford a gym, we are really strapped for cash with me working part time and bf on min wage. I occasionally do the Wii fit but at home I can always find something else to do so motivation is a problem. I have attempted a few shirt jogs and although it doesn't hurt during the exercise it does hurt a little after.

Last edited by roobear; 06-25-2011 at 04:29 PM.
roobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #8  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post
Eeeek! Did you have that looked at by a doctor? an MRI? Sounds like a tear to me (I'm no expert though).
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote