Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #1  

Default Chicken Sausage

While grocery shopping, I went past the hotdog section and something caught my eye. I absolutely love Bratwurst sausage but have kept away from it because of the high amount of fat in it.

Johnsonville just came out with chicken sausage. I was skeptical at first but a guy who works in the meat department told me that they had put them out to sample a few days ago and people loved them. So I went ahead and bought a pack to try. WOW. They are delicious! You can't hardly tell they are chicken. They come fully cooked and have cheese, red bell pepper, and garlic in them for flavor. They are absolutely delicious. I put mine on a whole wheat bun with a dab of thousand island dressing and it was soooo good. The thousand island goes really well with them!

They are half the fat that normal smoked sausage is. Per link they have 12g of fat and 4 carbs. They also have 13g of protein. They are a little high in sodium which a lot of pre-cooked meat products are. But if you only have them once in awhile, I don't think it could hurt. I think they would be an especially good alternative to fattier meats to cook on the grill for those coming BBQ days!!

They have two flavors: the smoked cheese/pepper ones and an apple smoked flavor. I have not tried the apple but have been told by a few people that they are not very good.
RiverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #2  
Happy as a clam..........

S/C/G: 268/178/165

Height: 5'8"

Johnsonville also has a turkey sausage and turkey with cheese sausage.
I really like those but only occasionally because of the high sodium
I will definately give the chicken a try. Thanks!!
downsizer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

There are other brands have been out there for several years with more variety in their chicken sausages: feta, garlic, spinach, apple, etc. Poke around at various grocery stores (I know places like Whole Foods will definitely carry them). I agree, they're delicious!
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsizer55 View Post
Johnsonville also has a turkey sausage and turkey with cheese sausage.
I really like those but only occasionally because of the high sodium
I will definately give the chicken a try. Thanks!!
Yeah I've tried the turkey and hate it lol. I've tried different brands of turkey sausage and ground turkey but just cannot do it. Something about the taste grosses me out. I was pleased to find the chicken ones. Its weird because I can eat turkey sandwiches and I can eat actual roasted turkey on thanksgiving...but grind it or make it into sausage and ew ew ew!
RiverWind is offline   Reply With Quote