General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #1  
We'll go with that!

S/C/G: 262/230/175

Height: 5'7"

Question My employer asked me to redo my Resume...?

So, my employer asked me the other day to redo my resume and hand it back in by tomorrow. They want me to add to it basically my current employment and responsibilities.

Do you think this is weird? I mean, I've worked there for 3+ years (It will be 4 in the fall). I'm currently the accounts supervisor and well as the customer service team lead. What could they possible be doing? Why do they want me to update my resume?!

I asked my brother and he thought it was incredibly strange, but didn't have a clue as to why an employer would want an updated resume. My mom thought it was strange too. I really should have asked them, but I thought it was such a strange request and I didn't want to upset or annoy anyone by asking questions.

Anyone have any ideas?

Maybe they are going to hand it back to me and tell me to look for a new job.

LR
LightRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #2  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

I don't know, I've never heard of that before. I'll be very interested to hear why they asked for that, please come back to tell us!

Maybe they want to compare your resume (aka how you interpret your role) against the actual job description? I'm sure you would know already if they had any issues with your performance, it's probably nothing to worry about.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

One of the companies I used to work at, routinely would ask this when you were up for a promotion (but usually you were aware of the possibility of the promotion), although giving you only two or three days to do it, seems odd.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-05-2011 at 09:00 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #4  
We'll go with that!

Yea, I've ran through a few scenarios in my head... for one... we just had our first ever company group pictures done about a month ago. First just the entire company in front of the building, and then the individual groups, Customer Service, Warehouse, Sales reps, etc.

So I'm wondering if they are doing some sort of promotional bit, and want a write up of everyone. But, I asked some of the people on my CS team, and no one else has been asked to redo their resume. And of course, if they wanted information, they could have just asked me to do a paragraph. Or asked my boss, or the operations manager what I do.

I was just promoted to Accounts Supervisor this fall.. and was made keenly aware that I am the first person ever promoted that was not within the family ( we are a relatively small business, but the entire family works there). And we just recently split the departments up (it used to be everyone did everything) so I am also the Customer service team lead. Don't see where else I could move up unless I take my boss's place (the owner's daughter) as Accounts Manager. And then where would she go?

Certainly perplexing... and I hate resume writing. Any given day I could rattle off to you what I do in a heartbeat. But to write it down? I'm sitting here like "Uh.. duh..... " ala Homer Simpson

LR
Old 05-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #5  
I heart 3FC

S/C/G: 210/197/135

Height: 5'2" Age: 28

My company has people do this when they are promoted. I think so clients can see everyone's qualifications?
just keep swimming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #6  

um...if you've been working there for 4 years, don't they already know what is to be added to your res? I would ask them this bluntly, "What part of my life would you like me to focus on with my resume update because everything pertenant you should already know?".
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #7  
We'll go with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness4life View Post
um...if you've been working there for 4 years, don't they already know what is to be added to your res? I would ask them this bluntly, "What part of my life would you like me to focus on with my resume update because everything pertenant you should already know?".

To be fair, the owners, a husband and wife, are very nice people, but don't really much run the business. The husband, who started this company, deals mostly with maintaining vendors as well as bringing new vendors on. His wife, she's kinda like HR. She handles healthcare and benefits... she only comes in once or twice a week.

They are wonderful people. But they have no idea what the rest of us are up to. It's the owner's daughter and her husband who really run the company. And then when they aren't in, it's me who does

If it was my boss or her husband, the operations manager, asking me this stuff I'd be like.. why.. you already know. But it was the owners wife who asked me to update it. She generally probably doesn't have a clue what I do. I dunno.

I just finished adding to the resume... I'll give it to her tomorrow and ask what the purpose was.

LR
Old 05-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Our company does this kind of thing to create portfolios for customers.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #9  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Mine has done it when we were getting funding. I'd ask anyway.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #10  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

my company does the same thing, not so much for portfolios for customers but we've been asked to update our resumes so they can justify raises, cost of living expenses, over time etc to the share holders every year.
Basically it's "See how much she does, her qualifications - we can justify the raise for those reasons"

Last edited by Coondocks; 05-06-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

I was asked to do that in my previous job. Our company was bidding on a major project, and they had to provide resumes of everyone who will be working on the project as a part of the bid. If I were you, I'd just ask my boss why he wants my resume.

Btw, we didn't get the contract and my whole department got laid off.
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

The company I used to work for had resumes on all of us to include in proposals for large projects to show prospective clients the qualifications of the personnel who will be working on the project.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #13  
We'll go with that!

Well, looks likes like lots of you guys were right... our company is currently getting certified in Maryland (probably to distribute for the gov) and they want resumes of all management.

Thanks!

LR