General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-05-2011, 01:12 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default LOL! The FBI is INSISTING I answer questions.

I got no less than 8 emails from the FBI in my inbox at work. Everyone of them stated that I'd visited illegal websites and it is VERY IMPORTANT THAT I ANSWER THEIR QUESTIONS.

Do people actually fall for this crap? Don't they know that the real FBI would be at the door?
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #2  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

You too!??? Wow, I thought it was just me that visited all those illegal websites, at work, no less.......I am SO sick of this email!!!!

And sadly, there probably is someone who has fallen for it.........
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #3  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Yep they do fall for that. I guess people don't consider that if the FBI wanted to talk to you, they'd probably drop by your house for a chat.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Let me guess it asks for your credit card and stuff also?

My dad got an email like that asking for his credit cards and I was like dad it's a SCAM hello!

I've gotten a bunch for paypal and stuff saying they lost my info and they need it again. I usually fill it in with things like "go to ****" and other stuff and then send it off lol.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #5  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
I've gotten a bunch for paypal and stuff saying they lost my info and they need it again. I usually fill it in with things like "go to ****" and other stuff and then send it off lol.
Never thought of doing that. I love it! I don't open the mail or attachments. I figure there is a virus in there waiting to eat my puter.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Most companies (PayPal included) have an email address to forward such messages to. That way, they can work on actually shutting down the scammer. I'd be careful about clicking the links for the reason Cbmare stated...never know what's lurking on a link you're fraudulently enticed to click.

The email addresses to forward to are usually in the format "Spoof@<organization>.com" For example, [email protected] or [email protected].
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Actually I'd avoid doing anything. Best to delete and forget about it.
(edited: or do what Amanda said but For the most part I'd recommend avoid even opening the email)

Many of the websites are full of malware that you may be vulnerable to even with the best antivirus. Many of these phishing attempts are for the express purpose of getting you to click on the link so that they can attack your system. Also, you may be verifying that your email address is valid thus putting you on further lists.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #8  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Actually I'd avoid doing anything. Best to delete and forget about it.
(edited: or do what Amanda said but For the most part I'd recommend avoid even opening the email)

Many of the websites are full of malware that you may be vulnerable to even with the best antivirus. Many of these phishing attempts are for the express purpose of getting you to click on the link so that they can attack your system. Also, you may be verifying that your email address is valid thus putting you on further lists.
That's why I have preview screen open so I can see what is in there without opening it.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #9  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
The email addresses to forward to are usually in the format "Spoof@<organization>.com" For example, [email protected] or [email protected].
Wonder if there is a "[email protected]". LOL.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #10  
Soul Cyster

Only reason I think you wouldn't get a virus is they don't want to make your computer crash while you are typing your info to them. But I haven't seen one in a while anyways- I think they are all going to my spam as it is lol.

I have a great spyware and anti-virus program too

But yes for the not so computer savvy I wouldn't recommend opening them if you think it might be dangerous
Old 05-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #11  
Need to stay motivated!!

S/C/G: 202/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Oh! My favorite ones are when the prince of Nigeria desperately needs to contact me to give me some moneys that a relative has left me LOL! I read on a forum somewhere about a guy who actually answers these people back and asks THE stupidest questions till the scanners stop responding I'll try to look it up, it's just so funny!
NiteOwlMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #12  
Soul Cyster

OMG please find it that sounds HILARIOUS!
Old 05-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #13  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteOwlMommy View Post
Oh! My favorite ones are when the prince of Nigeria desperately needs to contact me to give me some moneys that a relative has left me LOL! I read on a forum somewhere about a guy who actually answers these people back and asks THE stupidest questions till the scanners stop responding I'll try to look it up, it's just so funny!
Sadly, there are people who send them money. I was listening to Clark Howard and someone called in asking how to get his mother to stop sending money. She'd sent almost $10,000! Clark suggested seeing a lawyer to begin conservatorship. Oh, and a call to the police and feds. That money was gone forever but he had to find a way to stop her.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #14  
Soul Cyster

I have known people to personally send the money also cbmare. It's sad. I had a friend start out by sending a bit of money, like $100 to pay a bill to some girl he liked. Well at least he thought it was a girl. Then she kept asking for more and more money and we were like HELLO ALL you have is a picture and online chatting! You have never heard her voice or anything!
Old 05-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Only reason I think you wouldn't get a virus is they don't want to make your computer crash while you are typing your info to them. But I haven't seen one in a while anyways- I think they are all going to my spam as it is lol.

I have a great spyware and anti-virus program too

But yes for the not so computer savvy I wouldn't recommend opening them if you think it might be dangerous
I can't go into too many details but part of my job deals with computer security. You'd be surprised at the things I've seen on fully patched, up to date systems with all the latest and greatest security tools. Not all viruses crash or slow down your system. They may wait for you to visit your banking website or check for any financial documents on your system.

So for safety, I'd say never click on the links.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote