Old 05-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 10"

Default Chicks - Please Help Me!

I don't even know where to go anymore. I am so frustrated. Then I remembered this website. I've been a lurker on her for years. You chicks always seem so helpful to one another.

Here's my issue - I'm in my mid-forties. In my entire life I have never had trouble losing weight. Of course, I never had any trouble gaining it either Since I hit 40 it has become even more difficult. Well, now that I'm in my mid forties, menopausal, and whatever else that affects someone in their mid forties, I cannot lose an ounce. I've tried exercising, I've tried WW. It's not that i can't lose, it just happens so slow, I get frustrated after a while and lose my motivation. I start new every day.

Any suggestions? I'm 5'10 and 300 lbs. I don't mind doing exercise, but when I lose my mojo I stop that too.

Thanks - I look forward to hearing back from you.
FeelingGood05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #2  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Hi Angie!

Sometimes when the loss is slow it helps me to remember that the time is going to pass anyhow. If I'm losing, say, 1lb per week instead of the 2 or 3 I'd prefer, I have to remember that that is over 50lbs in a year! And that year will come and go whether or not I end it 50 lbs lighter. It's up to me.

I'm only 27 and am very much still in the baby/kids phase of life, but some truths hold true for all ages. Stick with it, work hard and you will see results. Be patient, even slow results are results!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #3  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

I think you may need to adjust your expectations. Alternatively you could follow a program like calorie counting, and you can set your calories to lose the amount of weight per week that you want to lose; that might help to keep your head in the game.

As Gale mentioned though, time will pass anyway, and even if you do lose slowly you'll lose.

I left this site for 3 years, gained all the weight I'd originally lost and then some, and came back to find another person who had started around when I did had stuck to her plan like glue and lost 150 lbs while I was away. Every time I think of that it gets me motivated to stay on plan or to get in some exercise.

There are people here doing it who have all kinds of different obstacles. If you look around this site I'm sure you'll find someone in the goal stories or the maintainers section who you can relate to and use as motivation for yourself.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198.5 /198.5 / 140

Height: 5'2"

I'm with Gale02. The time is going to pass regardless and better some weight loss than none or a gain.

I'm also mid 40s (45) and I had to find the right calorie, carb, protein and fat amounts to lose weight. I don't know about WW. I don't know if you count calories and are aware of the carb, protein and fat % of the diet. If not maybe you could try writing everything down you eat in a day over the next week and see where you are at with those. I know if I get real high on carbs, which for me is easy to do, I don't lose much weight. I'm not low carb by any means. I keep my carbs between 40-50% of my calories. My fat between 15-20% and protein 30 - 35%. I don't worry if I go over a few grams on fat and protein but I can't on carbs. As for exercise I'm not a lot of help there. I struggle making myself do it 3x a week.

Just keep plugging along and every pound lost is a benefit gained.
Joszac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale02 View Post
Sometimes when the loss is slow it helps me to remember that the time is going to pass anyhow.
This is my personal golden rule. It gets frustrating - I'm 25 and losing slowly. So I made up my mind: do this for one year, even if slowly. So far, I've lost some 35-40lb in 9 months. Frustrating? yes. But better than nothing.

My mantra: "Slow progress is better than no progress at all"
thaisccs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #6  
SereneCalorieCounter

S/C/G: 180/138/142

You can do it. I am 63 and certainly post-menopausal and have lost 25 lb since Jan /11.

I eat less of everything I want and move more. Simple as that. I saw a story about a guy who weighed 650 lb and was confined to his chair; all he could do for exercise at first was clap his hands. Slowly, slowly, he lost weight by eating less and he could move more, till he got to about 238 lb.

You are in better shape than that! You can do more then he could, starting out. Keep visiting here and getting support and inspiration.

I have copied many of the great sayings on people's posts here onto yellow stickies and have put them on my mirror to read every day. They really help.

I also made a list of reasons why I wanted to lose weight and the benefits; also a list of the downside of not doing it. I read those every morning and it really got me into the mindset of working my plan.

The other thing to remember is that you are not just losing weight, you are getitng out-of-control eating UNDER CONTROL and that feels good!

All the best!
blueheron777 is offline   Reply With Quote