View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #74
Sequi 2008

S/C/G: 213/178/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by verykeri7 View Post

So far these are some foods I've found nutritionally comparable (not perfect but close enough, which still work for me):

Bars
South Beach Diet high protein cereal bars- I like chocolate or chocolate Peanut Butter
Kashi Honey Almond Flax granola bars

Soup
Healthy Choice chicken noodle soup (1/2 can)

Shakes
Whey protein shakes (powder mix- brand doesn't matter as long as they are sugar free -personally I hate the taste of EAS brand which is watery- GNC and Vitamin World have thicker better-tasting options that mix well with water.)

Brownie Substitute
VitaMuffin "Vitatops" Sugar Free Velvety Chocolate -I never knew these existed until I read about them on the hungrygirl website. They taste great and are a good size. I was pleasantly surprised. 23 carbs but most of it is fiber.Only 90 calories. They are not cheap, but still less expensive than MF. The cheapest place to get them is Target. Google them and it will take you to the "vitalicious" site- you can order online direct from the site too- but Target is still much cheaper.

I've yet to find anything that is comparable to the MF cheese puffs. I have to really take a closer look in the organic/health food section of the grocery store and see if I can come up with something that is soy-based and similar.

Since most of the substitutions do not have as much protein as the MF meals I use a whey protein shake to balance things out. When making substitutions I focus more on the calorie and carb count being as close to MF as possible.
Great suggestions! The soup is almost dead on -- I'll probably use it on weekends. (It's hard for me to split a soup into two meals at work.)

The Vitatops are really interesting. The 5 egg whites trick works with it to make it nutritionally the same as a bar or a brownie.

The idea is that matching the nutritional content lets you replicate the MF program and hopefully achieve the same results. (If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's still a duck! But hopefully a better-tasting, cheaper duck!)
Sequi 2008 is offline   Reply With Quote