Old 04-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #61  

Fell off the wagon myself for about a week. Yesterday I was really off. My body told me to knock it off. I was gassy, bloated and had really bad heartburn. Most of the stuff I ate did not even taste that good. If I plan on having something off again, I'm making sure it is really worth it.
Today was good, bacon, eggs, salad, chicken, fauxtatoes and asparagus. I feel so much better. I'm even thinking of giving up cream in my coffee. HUGE for me but coffee is just not doing it for me lately anyway.
So glad Spring is somewhat here, can't wait till the fresh vegetables you can get in Summer and early Fall.
saycindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #62  
Come on ONEderland!

S/C/G: 254/ticker/175

Height: 5'-7"

Yellow Coconut curry- I think that's FAIRLY primal. It's mostly veggies and chicken- and you can usually get it served over veggies rather than rice- that's my go to when I dine at a Thai restaurant- even when I was on SBD.

Last night at a restaurant I had salmon that was covered in some sort of cream sauce over rice- I scraped off MOST of the cream sauce but that stuff was sticky! And it kept trying to capture the rice- so I think I did mostly OK but I'm sure that it wasn't as good as if I'd not had the sauce there- I didn't know it was going to come out with the sauce on it. Hate it when they don't list what's in the dish on the menu.
uscarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

Default gettin' betta

Today was better. Only one english muffin off plan today. Das it. aaaah, better.

My BFF found a diet - FA (Food anon), she told me how revolutionary it is.... I asked her what they do.... she said it's a support group that meets to talk about the diet and that the diet is no sugar/grain - SERIOUSLY. Girls and Guys, we got that right here except we can meet all we want. I told her she should go, is that wrong?

We were discussing what goes wrong with us and "diets." I said it's not finding one - I can find one every week, it's sticking to one. We're both ready right not for a change, doing it together will make a difference. She'll probly do FA, I'll be paleo/primal - might not be much difference in them anyway.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

One of the things that made me think I might do well with a Paleo-type WOE is that it reminded me a lot of what used to be called "gray sheet" in Overeaters Anonymous in the mid-70's. No sugar, no bread, no grain ... I got down to the lowest I've been in my adult life until I got married and started having "regular" food in the house for the new husband ... it sounds a lot like your description of the FA diet, too. Good luck to both of you!

I'm still doing good, just got back from major shopping expedition to replenish fruit and vegies. Homemade chicken chop suey is on the menu tonight ...
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvenirdarling View Post
Arkansas Kel, I agree, today is a new day

Does anyone have any recommendations for successful weight loss on this way of eating? Things that work for them?

I know I need to be more consistent about my carb intake and need to consider fitting in IF. My exercise has been acceptable but I haven't been sprinting. I haven't been tracking any calories.
Eating with a more paleo bent helps -- cutting dairy, limiting or cutting nuts, some have to count calories too. It all depends on the individual. I know I am effortlessly maintaining right now, but I haven't been losing either. However, when I did whole30 in Jan (my changes were cutting dairy and alcohol), I lost 4-5 lbs while still eating very well and always feeling satiated.

There are several discussions on this on MDA. It seems that some drop lbs. like mad when they switch to this WOE. I suspect those folks were eating quite high carb/junky before and had a significant amount to lose and went at it whole hog (sorry for the pun) -- in other words, they cut all the junk and cheats and changed their diet and saw tremendous weight loss.

Others, perhaps like me, had less to lose, were already eating fairly healthfully, and found that losing is more gradual and subtle. I dropped a good bit the first 3 months or so (about 15 lbs), which I have kept off.

I'm at a point where I am seeking motivation to push to get off about 10 more. I teach and have had an extremely stressful year, and I just haven't been 100% devoted and planned out every week like I should. That said, I'm not sitting around eating sweets, bread, and other junk. I've read several of the weight loss threads at MDA because I am curious too -- several posters (women) have said that they eat primal/paleo AND count calories, many have cut dairy (which is inflammatory for many anyway), limit or cut nuts, limit or cut alcohol.

Also, Robb Wolf says over and over on his podcasts that if you're not sleeping well, you will not lose as much or as fast as you would if sleep were dialed in. He is fanatical about the sleep thing and says it's KEY for weight loss (or "leaning out" as he always calls it). I know he is right, and I am NOT a good sleeper. When I'm really exhausted all **** breaks lose in my body -- not only do I suffer pretty serious mental impairment (brain fog, forgetfulness, etc.), but my eating can go off the rails. I also do not exercise when I'm exhausted.

Having said all that, I really need to take some of the advice myself. I have a three day weekend - Sun is a family day, but otherwise, I kind of want to lay low, gets lots of rest, plan meals/cook, read, ok... maybe grade a few papers. Recharging is good for our health AND helps with weight loss.

I have a big wedding on June 10-- would love to be 5 lbs. slimmer (or more) by then.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #66  

Yesterday had 2 items off plan - crackers, tortilla chips. Man, I'm getting better and better. I was starving when I ate them and waiting on other folks to determine my supper plans (large family playing - I don't care where do you want to go....). We went mexican - I had fajita salad - no shell. I ate a few tortilla chips while waiting on my food - actually I counted 6 as I ate them to limit myself. Then I pushed them across to my brother in law and encouraged him to put half eaten ones back into basket and double dip in salsa to discourage me. He obliged. The crackers were for real hunger. I could have had a banana or something better than that, but somehow I plunged into that little cracker pack when hunger took over. I shouldn't have let myself get so hungry, but I was trying to hold out for the supper plan.

Today, one pork chop and a few walnuts down. BFF wants to go to mall later. So far so good, must get head set to avoid mall food. I can do it ;(
surely? Yes, I can do it.

Ladyinred: I love bringing in all the fresh stuff. Always bolsters my determination and mood. Do share your chop suey how to's. I've never made that. I do make kitchen sink style stir fry with liquid aminos that we LOVE. (liquid aminos are just a soy sauce tasting sauce without the soy or wheat).
Old 04-24-2011, 11:40 PM   #67  

OK, I know it's a holiday. I fasted through the AM - yep, on purpose, then ate what I wanted for the holiday. I enjoyed hiding eggs, helping kids find eggs, and ate like a country girl on ham, ckn and dumplins, yeast rolls and other fare. I overate in the end, but back on track tomorrow

Hope all ya'll had a GREAT EAster too!
Old 04-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #68  

so, is there some private place everyone just sneaked off to? HELLOOO!

Oh well, I'm a good self talker anyway. Today was good. Good at work. Good food. Off plan supper, but until that moment 100%, even through a LONG dull meeting. We decided to make supper short, quick, and picked up because we have much to do tonight. Our area is flooding. We're not actually, except for a drainage issue and a flooded basement - not a new thing. So we're shoveling and sump pumping instead of cooking.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #69  
Come on ONEderland!

Hey Kel- Guess people may still be recovering from Easter. I'm still recovering from a training run that we went on Sunday. OW. I'm not really as ready for my half marathon as I'd like to be. Needed to train more, and not get sick during the training.

Sounds like you're doing well- just keep up the good work! I'm excited that my Whole30 is almost up- I need to figure out what I'll be doing next month! I think I'll continue to do mostly Whole30- but I'm adding in a glass of wine and allowing myself dark chocolate- I may also try pastured butter and whole fat milk or cream.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #70  
Ilene the Bean

Hey girls ...

The weekend was horrible carb wise but I was back on track yesterday I also ran and rollerbladed it felt good....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #71  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

There's something about the first jog of the spring that feels so freeing.

I'm really considering doing a Whole30 for May With firmer limitation on nuts, no dairy (not even butter).

It's my sweets cravings that need to be dealt with.

In the last few days I have tried coconut milk. What I bought crazy thick and solidifies in the fridge. I've been making spinach-mango smoothies with a 1//4 cup of it, blended with water.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #72  

Well, last nights storms defeated me by wearing me down without sleep. Overslept, but still ate a primal bkfst. Off track by cracker and a bun through lunchtime. Then for your own WOE safety, as I don't want to be too bad an influence, let's not discuss my afternoon. Right now, back ON TRACK BABY!

Our nearest river is about .69 inches short of "moderate flood" stage. I understand it's only 3 inches from breaching it's levee. I am so fortunate to live on a hill. I am worrying about people I know. I have coworkers in Poplar Bluff, Missouri who can't come to work. I have friends living in the flat land areas - some pretty close to that levee. I have an old acquainance living in Hardy, AR - where the Spring River is over it's banks. It's like all my peeps are at risk right now. Only a couple have been advised to evacuate, but I'm not so sure I wouldn't volunteer to evacuate if I lived by the levees. Sorry, that's just what's on my mind tonight. Fatigue from the storms (we had thunder, lightening, and tornado sirens last night) plus worry has destroyed me today resolve wise. So far, everyone is okay though. It could turn critical fast though. Pray for the people around these flooding rivers tonight. I don't normally say such things, but there's some poor folks in this area, and there's people at risk of losing their homes and livlihoods - not to mention life and limb.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #73  
Come on ONEderland!

The whole south is being hit so hard by these storms. I hope that people make it out okay.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #74  

Hey guys, I'm ready for a change. I'm not going to let go of my Primal mindset, but I am going to change the flavor a bit. I'm going to do an induction. Maybe I'll be back after, but since my meds doubled, my weight is climbing again and I can't stand anymore weight on my short frame. Time for an intervention. See ya around the web! (or on the induction areas for awhile if anyone wants to visit!)
Old 05-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

I've started the new thread for May ...
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote