Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 252.2/ticker/126

Height: 5'2

Default Exercise Ideas for the Very Obese

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for friendly advice on starting an exercise regimen. I'll be out of school in a week and will have time to devote to getting in shape.

I'm morbidly obese by about 20 lbs. I'm only 21 and I can get around pretty well for being as obese as I am. I haven't been exercising in a while, but have gotten in shape enough in the past to "wog" 2 miles (walk + jog). Currently I can only power walk that long.

Basically, I'm trying to find things to do, other than powerwalking. I've been considering calisthenics or free weights (gym is not an option). At this point, should I just concentrate on cardio (my power walking) and wait until I've lost more before I start something else? For example, I could do (i.e. attempt) sit ups, but as obese as I am, I won't see any results. I also don't want to injure myself. But I also like variety.

So any advice, especially from personal experience, would be greatly appreciated. Google is a great resource, but I'd rather hear from real people that have done this sort of thing. If you know of any other threads that might help, let me know (I've just joined this past week).

Thanks!
shepherdgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #2  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hi there! Could you have any access to a pool at all this summer? I'd probably stick with the cardio if you have limited time to get it in ... strength training is always a plus and helps in so many ways and resistance bands are inexpensive and you can do most of the exercises while sitting, if need be. But you know, walking is a GREAT exercise - easy to stick with, can do it in airconditioning at an indoor mall if the weather is crummy, etc. For variety, could you find different parks to walk in - then you're getting some different terrain than a treadmill or a regular route?

Good luck - looks like you're off to a good start!!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 252.2/ticker/126

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nationalparker View Post
Could you have any access to a pool at all this summer?
No, unfortunately not. I live wayy out in the boonies, the closest community pool is 30 minutes away and it's not even a good pool. Even if it was closer, it's usually dirty, loud and full of couples that are making out. Yuck. (nothing against making out or anything, just don't make me watch!) The only other option is the lake and considering my swimming skills are barely enough to keep me from drowning=not a good idea.

I would love to take a Beginning Swimming class if I can take it at my school. So far it's never fit into my schedule. That's the great thing about walking--anyone can do it!
shepherdgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I think walking/running is the best way to get weight off fastest
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #5  

My first bit of advice would be to make your goal not about losing weight but about gaining fitness ability. So you're walk/running...set a destination for yourself and forget about miles. The best part about doing that outside is that once you get to your destination, there's no quitting! Ya gotta get back home!

Then the next week, set your destination further. Make it interesting, like walk to a store, or past the cute guy from high school's house, or to a pretty part of your area.

Then every once in a while, get in your car and drive what you walked to see what the mileage is and don't forget to brag about how far you went to a loved one!

Resistance bands are an excellent idea. Also, get a stability ball. Both should come with instructions and routines and you can always find stuff on line.

Don't forget that your body had to learn how to move before it can effectively move to gain fitness. So when you first sit on the stability ball and fall off - forgive yourself! You will be astonished how quickly your stabilizers learn how to support what you are now demanding.

Best wishes.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #6  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I'd stick with the walking, unless you're really sick of it. You could always put some music on and dance for an hour at home. I love to do that. I also have one of those large FitBalls. I actually sit on it and bounce for an hour or two a night when I'm watching TV. That really burns calories and strengthens the quads, hamstings and glutes.

If you really want to get the engine firing on burning fat, try walking first thing in the morning, about 12 hours after you had you last meal, but before breakfast. It's called fasted cardio. I'm about to start doing it. I've read that the 12 to 18 hours after your last meal are prime fat-burning hours, and that it's a good time to get in a little extra cardio to ramp the burning up.

I go to Pilates three to five times a week. And I'm really big! I love it!!!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #7  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Videos for cardio, resistance and/or yoga?

I started with a video program called, "Melt it off" that uses a medicine ball for the moves. I FEEL it the next day! I also have the entire P90X program which has different DVD's for resistance, Yoga, cardio, and even Karate. DVD's are nice because they work on your schedule and they aren't weather dependent.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

I seriously suggest Richard Simmons tapes for when you feel up to it. You could check out "sit and be fit" it's a TV program for the obese/elderly/injured/other. It's mostly done in a chair/using a chair for support, pretty low impact, but a good work out. I occasionally do it when I'm sore but still feel as though I need to get something in. You can find vids on Youtube, but I don't know about full ones.

Good luck!!
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #9  
Yay for 2nd chances!

S/C/G: 235/needs a new scale/135

Height: 5'7"

My SIL is VERY morbidly obease 5'2" and 350ish and she swears by zumba. She says it's very fun.
Aiesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #10  

Height: 5'1

Hi, I'm morbidly obese too. I just started regular exercising last February with exercise videos (Turbo Jam, then Hip Hop Abs last month). They can be awesome workouts even when you don't have an access to a gym. There are loads of exercise videos out there (just check the forum about them here to see people's opinion), you just have to find one that suits you.
seina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:23 AM   #11  

YouTube is a good idea for finding various fitness videos. Netflix (if you've got it) also has a bunch of streaming DVDs for fitness.
Also, gaining muscle (ala crunches, resistance training, etc.) actually increases your metabolism, so even if you can't SEE your six pack, your body will respond with more calories burned, even at rest.
TerraIncognita is offline   Reply With Quote