Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-28-2011, 07:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default Lost workout effectiveness?

What do you do when every exercise you have access to just doesn't "do it" fr you anymore? I'm in maintenance, and work out 5 days a week.

Anymore, nothing gets my heart rate up where I FEEL like I've worked out. Since I started all I've had access to is running/walking, a workout bike, an elliptical trainer, weights and videos.

The videos long ago quit making me feel any kind of "worked out" afterward, but I do them sometimes anyway just because.

Elliptical? The past two weeks my calorie burn has gone lower and lower and lower. In 40 minutes on the elliptical this morning along with core work (50 minutes total)? 350 calories. And that's going hard WITH a program with varying resistance on the elliptical.

Running? Lowest calorie burning thing I do. My heart rate goes up, but the second I stop running hard it's down to low range. Lower burn here than on the elliptical.

I've even tried a circuit...bike, elliptical and running. No change.

What do you do when nothing is working for you anymore? I don't get that FEELING of having worked out that I love anymore, and it's getting harder and harder to get up and do it.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #2  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
My heart rate goes up, but the second I stop running hard it's down to low range.
Yay! This means you are in great shape!! The faster your HR returns to normal when you stop, the better shape you are in.

Have you tried going faster/longer? Doing intervals? HIIT? Runing up hills? Biking at a higher resistance?

For weight lifting - You should switch up your routine every 4 - 8 weeks.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

That's good...but that's what I'm afraid of! I already work out so much I don't want to have to do MORE to get the same results...Guess I may have to.

I've done intervals, and some HIIT. My elliptical at home is on its last legs, and we're hoping to get another, really good one, soon. Maybe that will help, too - new programs, and something that will do an incline or something else. The treadmill I have access to doesn't do incline, unfortunately. Just straight running. The bike, too - no resistance.

Sounds like my problem might be my equipment!!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Wow! good for you! We all remember those first days when we thought we might collapse after 15 minutes. LOL. Now you need to find more intensity.

I have recently added ankle weights when I do low impact aerobics.
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote