Old 04-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #1  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

Default Reflection

For the last two days I've been in a training session with 22 of my peers from different parts of the business I work in. Yesterday I was looking around the room and was pleased to notice that, finally, I was not the biggest person, or even the biggest person in the room. Then I took a moment to think about the others who were bigger and I wondered if they were feeling as insecure as I felt at my highest weight, and if they were noticing their size relative to the rest of the room. I'd have to say they seemed fairly confident and comfortable, but I may have appeared that way to others in the past too.

I took the train home, and walking from the train to the car I was frustrated with two people in front of me. They were two women, very overweight, and they were moving slowly, but they did appear to be going as fast as they could. Again I had to reflect back and think about me from 6 months ago and remember how easily I would get winded. After I made the long walk to my car in the parking lot, and was pulling out of the lot after waiting in a long line up for the traffic light, I saw one of the two women still slowly making her way to her car. My heart went out to her, I wished I could have just squeezed her hand or something when I had walked by her.

I just felt compelled to share this, I guess it's partly because I'm beginning to define myself differently...closer to 'normal' (normal = not standing out because of my weight) and thinking about the more overweight people I saw was like getting to look at my old self through another person's eyes.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:35 PM   #2  
...Live.Your.Dream...

S/C/G: 186/180/150

Height: 5'6"

Very inspiring. I can relate... Its like you want to grab them and say, "I get it!! I know how you feel!! God bless you!"...
But you dont, cuz that would be inappropriate.. but you want them to know you feel their pain. I totally get this. It is very humbling. And I am glad there are still good people (you) out there. I know so many women that lose weight and then act like they are above overweight or obese people. Its really sad when you forget where you came from.. Glad you shared this.
WendeeLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #3  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

I"ve been doing this lately as well. I have a friend suffering. It's hard to see her so upset about her weight and so unwilling to change.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #4  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

I've done the same thing...I think women who have been overweight will always do a scan of the room to see if they are the biggest. I was the biggest for so, so long, and I just got used to it. I was in my Zumba class a few weeks ago and a woman that was heavier that me came in, and I thought to myself "Good for her for being in here and getting a great workout!" I was glad that she didn't shy away from the class because she was bigger -- I know it was always hard for me when I was almost 100 pounds heavier and would be huffing and puffing during workouts -- but I didn't let that get me down.

Last edited by Emme; 04-28-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #5  
My name is Mare, hello!

S/C/G: 265/255/165

Height: 5'7"

It's hard to be that biggest person in the room. I also feel for people I see who are much larger than I am. I know what I feels like. I wish there were some bottled inspiration or willpower somewhere. Just like with drugs or alcohol or eating disorders, you can't force anyone to change; they have to want it and recognize the problem. I'm sorry that there are many people who just won't ever get there.
MEH1969 is offline   Reply With Quote