Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-24-2011, 11:35 PM   #1  
...Live.Your.Dream...

S/C/G: 186/180/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Success with HIIT?!?

Hey all,

So I am considering doing some "bootcamp" HIIT classes at the club I work out at and I am wondering what kind of success you all have had with them.

I have seen a lot of good review regarding them, but I am wondering what you guys think of em?!?

Through my journey I have lost about 20lbs (which in my mind isnt enough) and 32.5 inches (which in my mind is pretty awesome!) I know I have gained some serious muscle But I dont feel as though I am losing the flab in some areas..

I suppose I am looking for an alternative to just plain cardio.. which seems to not be working so well anymore..

Thanks for your opinions!!
WendeeLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #2  
...Live.Your.Dream...

So no one has an opinion on HIIT?!?! what thhhhheeeee....
Old 04-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 211/190/125

Height: 5'5"

I incorporate HIIT into my treadmill running. I sprint for one minute then jog for one minute until I hit 3 miles. It really raises my heart rate and I've increased my speed from 4.2 mph to 5.0 mph in a little over 2 months. Needless to say, I'm a big fan of HIIT.
zetaphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #4  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I do HIIT with Cardio Coach on my mp3. Makes treadmill and rowing more interesting for me. I did see an increase in fat burning and actually was able to start running with it.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #5  

After years of just weight training, I was asked to teach HIIT type boot camp. I had my doubts. I didn't want to get weaker!

Here's what I learned: In the begining 3 weeks, there was a period of intense hunger and I gave in to it thinking I must be burning more calories. Um...no. I gained 3 lbs. I got back to my regular eating habits and am back to normal.

My strength has stayed the same in most areas and less in pull ups. So I have now incorporated pull ups in my routine. Advice would be to get into the weight room to make sure your strength gain/maintenance is balanced.

My legs have gotten stronger. Before, I tended to ease up on leg training due to bad knees but I can't get away with that heading that class. My knees ache but my legs are stronger.

I often wish the class were 90 min long instead of 60. I feel I can't fully fatigue my entire body in just an hour. But then again, I do the class at 5:45 am and 4:15 pm, so realistically, I'm getting 120 min so that's probably why I haven'l lost strength.

My clients often out-do me. I think this is because my weight routine did not have enough variety. There is A LOT of variety in boot camp! The comradere is an awesome motivator.

Go for it!
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #6  
Working it out!

S/C/G: 219/ticker/135

Height: 5'4'

I am currently in the process of using HIIT to get through a plataeu, although I'll only be doing it for four weeks (3x a week) and then off for two weeks and repeat as it is VERY hard on your body.

However so far it hsa helped me IMMENSELY! I find the exact opposite to be true, my metabolism is running running and I'm not nearly as hungry AS LONG as soon as I get home I drink my skim milk for protein I'm good to go the rest of the day! Fatigued and body aching but ready to go all the same. In between tehse days I do my regular strength training along with 30 minutes cardio every day except Sundays. =)

I'll know more about how I feel about HIIT once I've finished this little month test. if it can help me lose these last 20lbs when my body has gotten so used to this size...I'll be a happy woman. =) It is EXHAUSTING though and people at the gym look at me like I'm crazy.

However, I've read that the best way to do HIIT is on a track or outside. I don't recommend treadmill or elliptical if you're trying to lose weight...but that's just me from the articles I've read online. You can also do it with stuff like burpees etc. Good luck!
Krizstyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #7  
...Live.Your.Dream...

Thanks everyone!
I am going to start a HIIT bootcamp in June, so I suppose we will see where it gets me.

I have my first workout session with my new trainer tomorrow morning, so hopfully he can help me drop my weight!