Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 01:30 PM   #1  

Default Buying pills online - is it safe?

Hi I'm new here and new to weight loss pills. I don't have a BMI of 30 and so can't get a prescription for Xenical from my Doctor. I'm thinking of getting it from an online pharmacy, where I don't need a consulation or prescription. Does anyone have any experience of this and can you recommend anywhere? thanks
Old 05-14-2003, 02:26 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

I personally say no. I really have an issue with those 'online pharmacies' where you don't need a doctor's okay to get drugs. (Actually, I'm leery of ANY prescription diet drug).

Xenical has a less-than-stellar track record anyway...all it does is block the absorption of dietary fat into the bloodstream, thus reducing the amount of calories from a meal. However, if most of your calories are coming from carbs - i.e. sugary stuff - Xenical ain't gonna do diddly-squat.

The Physician's Desk Reference (PDR) says the following about Xenical:
Quote:
Xenical
Pronounced: ZEN-eh-kal
Generic name: Orlistat
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why is this drug prescribed?

Xenical blocks absorption of dietary fat into the bloodstream, thereby reducing the number of calories you get from a meal. At the usual dosage level, it cuts fat absorption by almost one-third. Combined with a low-calorie diet, it is used to promote weight loss and discourage the return of unwanted pounds.

The drug is prescribed for the frankly obese and for merely overweight people who have other health problems such as high blood pressure, diabetes, or high cholesterol levels. Your weight status is determined by your body mass index (BMI), a comparison of height to weight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most important fact about this drug

Along with dietary fat, Xenical decreases the absorption of some fat-soluble vitamins and beta-carotene. To compensate, you should take a multivitamin containing vitamins A, E, D, and K once a day, at least 2 hours before or 2 hours after taking Xenical.

How should you take this medication?

Take a capsule of Xenical during, or up to 1 hour after, each main meal. You should follow a nutritionally balanced, low-calorie diet that provides no more than 30 percent of its calories from fat. If you miss a meal, or the meal contains no fat, you can skip the accompanying dose of Xenical.

--If you miss a dose...

Resume taking Xenical at the next meal. Don't try to make up the loss with a double dose. The extra drug won't help.

--Storage instructions...

Store at room temperature, in a tightly sealed container.

What side effects may occur?

Side effects of Xenical are more common during the first year of treatment. If any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Xenical.

More common side effects may include:
Abdominal discomfort or pain, anxiety, arthritis, back pain, diarrhea, dizziness, earache, fatigue, fatty or oily stools, fecal urgency or incontinence, flu, gas with fecal discharge, gum problems, headache, increased defecation, menstrual problems, muscle pain, nausea, oily discharge, rectal discomfort or pain, respiratory tract infections, skin rash, sleep problems, tooth problems, urinary tract infections, vaginal inflammation, vomiting

Less common side effects may include:
Dry skin, ear/nose/throat problems, joint disorders
Side effects that usually occur after the first year of treatment with Xenical include: depression, leg pain, swollen feet, and tendonitis.

Why should this drug not be prescribed?

Do not take Xenical if you suffer from "chronic malabsorption syndrome"--a condition that prevents nutrients from passing from your stomach into your bloodstream--or from cholestasis, a blockage in the supply of bile needed for digestion. You'll also need to avoid Xenical if it gives you an allergic reaction.

Special warnings about this medication

Weight loss begins within 2 weeks and continues for 6 to 12 months. The effect of using Xenical for more than 2 years is still unknown.

Side effects such as diarrhea and abdominal pain may be worse if you continue eating a high fat diet or even take a high-fat meal. Limit your fat intake.

Your doctor will test your thyroid function before starting you on Xenical to make sure that your weight problem is not due to an underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism). Xenical is not an appropriate remedy for this problem.

Xenical increases the likelihood of kidney stones. Use it with caution if you have a history of this problem.

If you have diabetes, weight-loss is likely to reduce your blood sugar levels. If you're taking an oral diabetes medication or insulin, your dose may have to be reduced.

Note that the safety and efficacy of this drug in children have not been established.

Possible food and drug interactions when taking this medication

If Xenical is taken with certain other drugs, the effects of either could be increased, decreased, or altered. It is especially important to check with your doctor before combining Xenical with the following:

Cyclosporine (Neoral and Sandimmune)
Warfarin (Coumadin)

Special information if you are pregnant or breastfeeding

The effects of Xenical during pregnancy have not been adequately studied and the drug is not recommended for pregnant women. If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, inform your doctor immediately.

It is not known whether Xenical appears in breast milk. Do not take it while breastfeeding.

Recommended dosage

ADULTS

The recommended dose is one 120-milligram capsule 3 times daily with each main meal containing fat.

Overdosage

The results of a massive overdose of Xenical are unknown, although the drug seems relatively harmless. However, any medication taken in excess can have serious consequences. If you suspect an overdose, seek medical attention.
Note that the PDR states that your doctor will test your thyroid before prescribing this. Is an online prescription drug mill going to do this for you?!? I don't think so. The only 'test' they'll give you is to make sure your Visa card has enough credit before they send you the drugs. Oh and generally the sites also charge extra for what they call an "online consultation" - i.e. you fill out a multi-choice form. Sheesh.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:44 PM   #3  

Rube,

Maybe it is because I tend to lean toward being the overly cautious type, but I wouldn't waste my money buying meds such as Xenical online. First of all, who know what you are really getting, second, it is more expensive, and third, how would one know that it is a 'qualified medical professional' evaluating your profile prior to sending you the pills...if you get them?

Xenical also has some very uncomfortable side effects, such as stomach cramping, diharrea, and an oily discharge, among other unpleasant things--plus you have to really watch the fat intake in your diet to keep these effects from being WORSE!

Better to eat healthily and keep active rather than to resort to the "magic pills." In most cases, once the pills are gone, chances are good the weight comes back.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:31 AM   #4  

Hi,

Yes I agree, there's no substitute for healthy eating!

I was wondering whether people might use the internet to buy diet pills when their Dr. won't prescribe them. You know, someone with a BMI of under 28, who wants the diet pills just to stay slim....?
Old 05-19-2003, 02:18 PM   #5  
it's always something

If the doctor won't prescribe them, then maybe he/she has a good reason for it?

The best way to stay slim is through a healthy diet and exercise program. It's a lifestyle change. You don't just diet and lose the weight, then it's over. You continue to watch your food intake and stay active, for the rest of your life. If you overeat and put on a few pounds, just cut back a little and you'll be back to goal before you know it

Prescription medications can be helpful for some people. Still, these medications are not for people that are already slim.

If you really do need to use prescription medication, please work with your physician. We can't support the use of online prescription mills.
Closed Thread