General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #1  

Default Desperately need some advice!

This may sound like a very vacuous query, but something has really begun to bother me.

I have lost a fair bit of weight lately - around 30lbs (give or take a couple) and I am feeling much better in my body but I have realised there is more to be concerned about than just my wibbly.

Prior to my weight loss I had the worst year of my life. I had a miscarriage and my partner left me. I went through a fairly serious period of depression. I am now, thankfully, doing a lot better - though I do have my down days.

Anyway I have noticed that the stress and misery has ravaged my face. I actually barely recognise myself. I look tired, old and sad. My skin is grey and the bags under my eyes are pronounced. My skin is terrible.

I would really like some advice on both long term fixes and a couple of short term fixes to. I have a do on Sunday and it would mean the world to me if I could just look in the mirror and feel a little better. I have booked a hair cut and I think I will have my eye brows waxed... what else? (The cheaper the better).

Thank you, thank you - in advance x
Ready For A Change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #2  
is chubby

Sleep at least 10 hours a day for a while.
Use moisturiser daily.
Get a prescription for a cortizone cream if the bags beneath your eyes are really large. Go to a dermatologist.
Eat more protein and make sure you drink 4 litres of water a day and no other fluids like sodas.
And last but not least AVOID THAT DARN SUN. Sunlight is the number one aging factor
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #3  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Step 2 Cleanse

Cleanse your face with “Cookies and Milk” to remove impurities and dead skin.

Ingredients

2 teaspoons of oatmeal

2 teaspoons dried milk

1 teaspoon powdered cinnamon

Enough water to make a paste

Method

Mix all ingredients together.

Apply to face in small circular motions.

Rinse face thoroughly with warm water.

Step 3 Mask

Relax with a mask and eye compress.

Ingredients

2 slices of cucumber

2 tablespoons of honey

2 teaspoons of milk

Method

Combine honey and milk, stirring until completely combined.

Apply to face and throat.

Take the cucumber and place one on each eye.

Lie down for 10 minutes.

Remove cucumber and rinse off mask with warm water.

Step 4 Tone

Tone your skin with a refreshing cucumber tonic to cool, soothe and refresh the skin as well as remove any remains from the previous treatments.

Ingredients

1/3 of a cucumber (peeled)

Cotton balls

Method

Juice the cucumber.

Strain the juice into a clean container. (Make this up to a day beforehand and keep it in the fridge so that it is nice and cool when you use it).

Smooth it over your face and throat with clean cotton balls.

Step 5 Moisturize and Massage

Moisturize your skin by massaging your face with a facial oil.

Ingredients

"Using a facial oil will nourish your skin with essential fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. It won’t clog your skin or make it more oily, in fact, it can help restore balance to an overly oily skin."

½ to 1 teaspoon of cold pressed vegetable oil

Good choices are; jojoba (light), sweet almond (medium), olive oil (heavy).
Sounds like it's time for a home spa day.

The quote above was taken from this link.

http://www.spa-living-for-health.com...l-recipes.html
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Just adding a skin regimen with moisturizer helps

I use the clinique 3 step system, their moisturizer alone is the best (it's in a square bottle and it's yellow the lotion).

Sleeping more does help!

Also even a little facial may help give you a good jumpstart- check around for prices- if you don't have acne issues then you don't need to get the more expensive ones.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #5  

Ohh thank you guys. Quick question - what exactly is a facial, and what does it do?
Old 04-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/158

Height: 5ft 7in

For instant results I find that microdermabrasion works wonders. I use Mary Kay but there are other over-the-counter brands that may work just as well. I've read good reviews on the Oil of Olay brand but can't personally vouch for it.

For the long-term I suggest devloping a good skin care regimen that includes cleansing, exfoliating, moisturizing, and protecting from the sun. Also, drinking plenty of water and getting lots of rest will do wonders for your appearance.
joyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #7  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

i also want to point out that it does seem like there's a period of time when you're losing weight that your face just ... doesn't look very good. i've noticed it on myself and on my husband especially... it just takes some time to get back to normal looking i think.

be very careful if you do a facial of any kind, then go out w/o any sunblock it can be a disaster. my mother did this and got a horrible sun burn that left a lot of spotting and now 15 years later she just looks like she is turning into leather.

there's always tea bags on the eyes... or keeping an eye cream or moisturizer in the fridge so it's cooling when you put it on.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #8  

Lizzie I thinking that is certainly a contributing factor. 30lbs is actually quite a lot of weight in the scheme of things and losing it can have quite profound effects. When I look in the mirror I don't recognise myself any more - in part because I look a little gaunt and in part because the sadness of it all has changed me.

How long do you think that period of time lasts?
Old 04-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #9  
Why can't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyc21 View Post
For instant results I find that microdermabrasion works wonders. I use Mary Kay but there are other over-the-counter brands that may work just as well. I've read good reviews on the Oil of Olay brand but can't personally vouch for it.

For the long-term I suggest devloping a good skin care regimen that includes cleansing, exfoliating, moisturizing, and protecting from the sun. Also, drinking plenty of water and getting lots of rest will do wonders for your appearance.

I've used MK and OoO. I preferred Mary Kay. I'm only 34, so if I had more wrinkles, my opinion may have been different. I just found that Olay was a little too harsh for me.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #10  
Why can't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziep View Post
there's always tea bags on the eyes... or keeping an eye cream or moisturizer in the fridge so it's cooling when you put it on.
My grandma used to use Preparation H for her under-eye bags.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

A lemon juice face mask or scrub can pick up your complexion a bit. If you have very sensitive skin dilute it more or do a patch test first just to check it won't irritate your skin

I've used honey with a squeeze of lemon juice in it applied for 20 mins or so which is nice.

You could also try and catch a little sun or use a little fake tan or bronzer. I always feel better about my appearance when I have a little color.

Hope you had a good time, and congrats on your weight loss
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #12  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

A facial is just where a professional will treat your face. My sister gets one a month. She used to have TERRIBLE acne but now since this woman has been taking care of her face her skin is flawless. The lady also helped show her what to do to continue to take care of her face. My sister's problem was she was using too much harsh stuff (like I KEPT telling her).

Usually facials involve steaming of the face, exfoliating, creams, etc.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #13  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

well for my husband i'd say it lasted a couple of months and then he started to even out and look normal again. i think being the end of winter/beginning of spring probably doesn't help either. getting out into some fresh air and sunshine will probably work wonders too.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:42 AM   #14  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I'm going for a facial as a reward when I reach 25 pounds. I LOVE them. A massage used to be my go-to treat for pampering, but I much prefer facials now. I usually can't stop touching my face afterward!
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #15  

Height: 5'9"

Drinking lots of water will SERIOUSLY help your skin. That and sleep are probably the top two cheapest and fastest ways to improve skin.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote