Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-25-2011, 03:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/122.6/105

Height: 5'2"

Default what are your fitness goals/dreams?

So there are numerous threads about people's goals/dreams during and after weight loss, but I was specifically interested in people's fitness goals. What goals - big or small - are you working on now? Do you have any crazy fitness-related dreams that you'd like to work towards someday?

I'll go first.
- I've signed up for a couple of runs (a 5k in June and a half-marathon in October), and I'm currently running between 3 and 7 miles on a regular basis, so I feel pretty good about my training there.
- If above runs go well, I'm considering doing either the London or the Barcelona Marathon in 2012.
- I'd like to do the sprint distance of a triathlon in 2012. I think I'm pretty good already with biking and running for this distance, but I haven't done any swimming since high school.
- Lackadaisy's recent post made me really interested in doing a Ragnar Relay at some point. This is the idea to which I'm least committed, but I still think it would be fun!
- I'm planning to thruhike the Pacific Crest Trail with my uncle in 2013.

So what about you?
Nienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:02 AM   #2  
hee haw

S/C/G: 182/173.6/120

Height: 5'2"

I am working toward being able to bench press 100lbs for 8 reps. So far I am benching 65lbs.
torta del burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

Work out 6 days a week on an ongoing basis. Run a 5K. Play roller derby on a team. Learn how to kick box.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:53 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

A 5 k soon
A 10 k this summer
A sprint triathlon in September and again next year.
A half ironman in 2 years )

All are doable, except maybe the half ironman. But I'm gonna try!!
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

balance in handstand and forearm balance away from the wall.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:09 AM   #6  

Height: 5'8

I'd like to :

Run a sub 25min 5k at the Frauenlauf in May (I think I might have to accept sub 26)
Run a sub 2:00:00 half marathon next year or the year after (current PB 2:07)
Complete the Podersdorf Sprint Triathlon in August, and not completely die afterwards
Be able to do 10 press ups (at the moment I can't even manage one, my upper arm strength is pathetic!)
claire0412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:31 AM   #7  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Nienna -- Do the Ragnar with me! I've just been talking to a few runners who have done it (or the Race to the Beach), and not all of them are marathoners -- the distance can be anything between 15-20 miles over three parts (basically three 10k legs) and anything under a 11m mile average goes. Especially if we recruit some faster men, a Ragnar wouldn't be difficult at all compared to your other goals.

My current goals: 8:30 pace for a 10k (I just unintentionally subjected myself to an 8:30 pace 5k and survived, so that's the next, slightly unreasonable step, right?), run the DC Ragnar Relay in October, run a half-marathon, learn to swim again (hah!) in time to finish a sprint triathlon in 2012.

Oh, and in the world of non-cardio fitness goals: I'd like to be able to do 100 pushups instead of 0.5, arm inversions in yoga, and intermediate-level modifications in pilates. I already bike, run, and take yoga/pilates classes on a regular basis, so everything but the triathlon seems doable.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 189/138.0/130

Height: 5'6"

Pass the USMC Fitness Test for first class (225/300 pts) Perfect is 80sec arm hang or 20 pull ups, 100 sit ups in 2 min, and a 22 minute 3-mile. I would like to make 60sec hang, 75 push ups and a 25 minute 3-mile which adds up to the minimum for first class designation.
fromthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

My dream fitness goal was to run in a 5K race. Now that I have done that, my goal is to be able to do a push-up. You read that right. My ultimate fitness goal is to do ONE push-up. What can I say, I dream big! LOL I have never been able to do push-ups.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:11 AM   #10  
Resident Cynic

S/C/G: 210/Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

My cardio goals are pretty modest - I'd eventually like to be able to run two miles without stopping. Right now, I can only manage about one, and even that makes me pretty woozy.

Strength-wise, I'd like to be able to do at least 50 push-ups with solid form. Right now, I can do 5. Maybe.

Perhaps the most daunting challenge is that barometer by which I've grown to judge physical strength - a pull-up or chin-up! I have NEVER been able to do even one of those. Frankly, I'm built like an ox, and have never had trouble building muscle, and there is a lot of incidental heavy lifting in my life so I can't say I'm weak, but even as a child I remember wanting to cry when it came time to do pull-ups in P.E. class! I could never even manage monkey bars. I figure this goal will get a little more realistic when I'm not asking my poor arms to hoist up 200 pounds of fat
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:45 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

I want to be able to run a marathon someday. My more immediate goal is this three miles I am working on running.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #12  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

To improve my balance nearer to what it was before an inner ear infection last June left me with 85% hearing loss in my left ear, tinnitus in that ear & an impeded sense of balance. I just want to be normal again -- to be what I was like last May! I know my hearing won't come back but I can try to balance better using my other senses like sight.

On the mat, to go up into a perfect "teaser" five times consecutively. I can't do this now. My legs bend & my knees separate because I've got weak inner thigh muscles.

To do the bow pose in yoga without difficulty. My fleshy calves seem to get in the way & my hamstrings & calves spasm into bad cramps during this pose.

To do 10 consecutive pushups in perfect form. My upper body & arms are stronger than they were, so this is a mental thing.

To bench-press my own weight for at least three reps. I can do a 50-lb. barbell for 20 reps on a good day. I'm sure I can take this further. Again, it's a mental thing. I need a spotter. Heck, I could use a trainer.

Last edited by saef; 05-01-2011 at 11:40 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I'd like to be an ultrarunner. I am just learning to run now and am doing my first 5k in September. I'd like to gradually progress to half and then full marathons and then finally do an ultramarathon before I'm 40 (I'm 34 now).
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #14  

My far-far long term goal would be to run in the Vancouver Sun Run. But I'm saying that in a couple of years.

I went on a great 6 km hike yesterday around a local lake with the dog and a friend and I think, with the weather getting warmer, I'll make doing that most weekends my goal. I'll just remember to pack water this time! It was a fun hike through an old coastal rainforest-like forest and a wonderful dog park right at the start where the munchkin can go swimming before and after the hike.

Other goals include taking advantage of one of the large parks in my city and utilizing it's walking trails with the mutt at least twice a week starting tomorrow.

Basically, going from sedentary to not-so-sedentary is my ultimate goal
Rainbowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

I would like to be fit enough to hike to some of the cold mountain lakes that have great fishing. It is usually, 2 miles up hill. I am going to try one this summer.

I would also like to be able to do 15 perfect pushups. I really struggle with that move but I am working on it.

Frankly, I am thrilled that I even have fitness goals!
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote