Old 04-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #19

Morning ladies. It is warm here this morning and will be climbing up even further. We are going out at 9:30 and trim the two bushes, clean up the deck and I have to do some weed killing that has run amok. Hopefully it won't take long as it will be a hot job in this weather.

Gail: Don't you fret about when you can come in here and such. We just enjoy your company when we can get it. I am the same way about Jack, except I do get irritated at him at times because he does stay up in his office a lot. I am alone all the time and sometimes I just tell him off so to speak about staying upstairs. Most times though, like you, I am just glad he is somewhere in the house. I know you are so glad Wayne has a job as we all are for you. Don't sweat the small gain it happens. I am a mac and cheese lover, but it sure isn't good for the ole diet that's for sure. Ruby Tuesdays makes a great mac and cheese and they have a yummy lobster one too, but I try and avoid them both.

Maggie: I can't buy anything with mushrooms in it as Jack won't eat it. I think he would eat the merlot stew stuff even with the mushrooms and pick them out, maybe, but he really doesn't like them at all. He is convinced someday someone is going to poison themselves from eating regular type mushrooms. I did see several items I thought I would like though. Have you tried their sweet and sour chicken? It got good reviews and seems to be a good choice.

Jean: There was someone at our church who used to make this macaroni salad that had tuna in it with olives and such and it was spectacular. I never did get the recipe and I am not sure I ever knew who made it. One of the things that is popular here, a southern favorite you might say is egg salad with olives. A place called Holliday Ham makes it for sale and it is wonderful. It has a bit of hot sauce in it to give it a kick and it something I am told southerners like about their egg salad. When it comes to potlucks you can have both sides to that coin, folks who are great cooks and folks who are ghastly cooks and think they are great. I feel for those folks because you go to a potluck and everyone avoids their stuff like the plague. You guys going in February to Hawaii again? I am doing a wait and see about this budget thing before I make any plans for next year about anything.

Well girls, I guess I should get out of here. I have lots of stuff needing doing and it is going to have to be done early because of the heat. Jack did get the upstairs shampooed yesterday, which was nice and I am doing all the bedding so everything will be springtime fresh. Have a nice Saturday and in case you don't get in here tomorrow, have a beautiful Easter Sunday.
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #2  

Good Morning, Flowers! I've made my potato salad for tonight and need to clean up the kitchen when I finish here. Actually I was looking for a crock pot ham recipe to see how long it would need to cook. I'll have room in my oven so think I will do that instead. It's very windy and cloudy again today. The sun did come out late yesterday afternoon and the weatherman said it would be out today, sometime soon, I hope!

"Gma" -- Thanks for starting the new thread today. I need to go back and check the last one to see if I missed any posts. We have 2 church cookbooks that have wonderful recipes from the "old" good cooks as well as a few bad cooks. I just don't like to make something to take somewhere that I've either never made nor had somewhere else. A cook I am NOT! Glad you are in the "spring" mode at your house. When will you see Thomas this weekend?

I need to get moving. Have a GREAT weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 04-23-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #3  

Good afternoon, ladies. 72 degrees today but overcast.

I have an announcement to make...I MADE GOAL TODAY! actually with 1.4 to spare, weighing in at 148.6. Exactly 30 pounds from when I started. No more paying, but I'll continue going to my meeting.

Gail, can I come get some mac and cheese from you? I have it maybe twice a year but could it eat it at least once a week if I let go.

Jean, I am not a cook so I only have 2 recipes I can make for a pot luck but usually stick with a big salad or vegetable tray.

Faye, Jack sounds like me. I was with people at work all day and when I got home at night I just wanted an hour or two to myself. Stan didn't mind, he just wanted to know I was in the house.

Maggie, I'm making the Crispy Chicken with lemon-basil dip for dinner tonight from the new WW cookbook. Only 5 points, too.

Have a great day, ladies. We have long church tonight - 7 pm and we might be out by midnight.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Saturday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a bright sunny day here in the Hertland this day. The dogs are romping out in the yard and all is well. While I slept Will went to the store and, of course, didn't know I had a list going but he bought most all that was on it. bless his heart he knew I was getting real low on fresh fruit. What he didn't get can wait for another day. He did get something that wasn't on the list but no complaint from me for I like it ~ got a roast and some tortillas. Yep he wants me to make some burritos. I make up the whole batch and freeze all but what we will eat first go round. I wrap them in stretch wrap first then in wax paper and put them in a plastic zip lock. When reheated in the microwave they taste like I had just made them. What in the world did we do before microwaves. I remember my first one when they first came out and it was low wattage about 500 and mine now is in the thousands and programable. Life is good. Ah, but I love my crock pots also. That is how I will be cooking that roast. I'll put come slivered garlic and sliced green chilis in with it and some cumin, black pepper, oregano and mesquite flavorings. Slow cook it all day. I'll put it in when I finish here. Yep and we will be smelling it all afternoon. AH, but what an aroma. Since his gall bladder operation he can't eat hot chilis but I can so I just add what I want to mine later and don't cook it too hot. We have two types of salsa ~ hot to the extreme and medium. I like it "mo hotta da betta." Did you know that the "experts" say that if you eat chili peppers & hot "stuff" you have a slim to none chance of getting ulsers. Just thought I'd throw that in there. AH Beanie is in and asleep at my feet. He is such a cute little thing. Everybody loves Beanie. I can see Mopp out in the hallway asleep. They played good and hard while outside. At bedtime Beanie has a routine. He waits until I get in bed then he gets up on it and gets in front of me and cuddles close. I pet him and talk softly to him, scratch his ears & rub his tummy for about 5 minutes then he jumps up and gets down to sleep on his bed in under a chair in the corner. It is a ritual that I will miss when he gets his noonies cut on the 28th at the vet's hospital. They will keep him overnight and I hope he doesn't come home with one of those lamp shades fastened on his neck. Ragg Mopp didn't when he had his operation. We shall see.

DONNA FAYE It is good to get your work done before the heat of the day. I remember staying with my grandparents in the summertime on thier farm out in CA. My Pop said, "up and at em early kiddo ~ come help me with chores." As we were going out my Grandma would say, "Now don't let her get all muddy." He got me out of the house early and I really don't think I was much "help" for him. But I always got all muddy. He told me after I was older that he just loved having me out there to talk with. We did yak a lot ~ the two of us. In the heat of the day he would let me go swimming. Those were the "good ole days." Will doesn't like mushrooms so he picks them out and gives them to me if I have served his portion with any in it. I usualy get them all picked out. There aren't many foods he won't eat so I don't mind picking out the mushrooms because I really do like them. No I haven't tried the sweet and sour chicken yet but will probably order it next time he comes. I am slowly working my way through everything. I, of course, do buy what I have found to be "my favorites" each time, even when I am not out.

JEAN I made a small list of some of the "meals" we have tried and like from Schwans on the last thread. Like I said, we haven't gotten any we didn't like yet. Will doesn't eat much fish but I always ask him if he wants some or to make something different for him. Sometimes he will eat it and other times he asks if there is some chili or something else in the freezer he can have. I don't mind fixing different things for us because I know he isn't much of a fish eater. I usually try to have fish when he isn't home. Schwans has some good fish. When we go to Red Lobster (which is probably once a year) he orders a burger and I can have what ever I want. He really likes going to the Olive Garden (owned by the same folks that own RL) whch has things on the menu he really likes. Their chicken alfredo pizza is so good and so many points+. I can always find something on the OG menu that is program friendly.

GAIL I hope your day is going well with you. I know you are having a good time!

SUSAN Do you get to get a breather from work this day? Relax a bit and then tackle what it is you want to do this day. OH Susan, when I posted this you weren't there now you are above me. So I am back to yack at you. you go girlfriend. What a wonderful loss! You have come a long way baby. Let me know how you like that Crispy Chicken recipe and I will surely try it when I get that book! Thank you. OH I am so happy for your weight loss I can't quit smiling. You are amazing.

Every Magnolia have a wonderful day this Saturday day. Make tomorrow a day to remember. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-23-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #5  

Susan -- We are all doing the happy dance that you are below your goal! You have been so dedicated throughout this weightloss journey! I know Stan is watching from above and so proud of you too! I have very few recipes that I am comfortable making for others; I guess I am what is called "plain and simple." Is your long church service tonight in place of going tomorrow or something different?

Maggie -- You could share your sunshine and send it my way! I did go back and read the Schwans items you listed. Let me know when you try something new and like or don't like it. I'm with Will -- the mushrooms have to go. I classify them as rubbery and/or slimy. I order a salad at RL then enjoy the biscuits. I think I've eaten there twice in my lifetime.

Gail -- Thanks for sending your email address to me. I hope you are enjoying your day with your family.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #6  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Hi Everyone! Again...Happy Easter! Today was such an enjoyable day. I love it when I can spend time with both my daughters. We went to see Water for Elephants, starring Reese Witherspoon and Robert Patinson. It was a really good movie even though the book was better. Another thing, it was great to watch a movie without having to hear a bunch of cursing or see naked bodies. I'm not a prude but I do think now days movies seem to have a lot of that. Wayne really gets put off with the cursing in movies. Once or twice to make a point but when it seems everyother word is nasty it loses us. We just want to walk out. Anyway...didn't mean to go off a tangent here...but the movie was a good one and I recommend it.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow. Church in the morning and then everyone coming over in the afternoon for an Easter egg hunt and dinner.

Donna Faye, thank you for understanding but to tell you the truth it will be easier getting in here and posting with Wayne going back to work. Right now, he's cutting the grass "one more time".

Jean, I love potato salad. And I do make it. However, when I was in Walmart yesterday, I found WW potato salad in the deli section. It's 3 points for half of the container which looks like around 1/2 cup. I haven't tasted it yet but thought I would give it a try. I don't make it often as Wayne doesn't like potato salad and so much of it goes to waste if I'm the only one eating--I can't eat it fast enough. I'm sure your potato salad is very good! ...and thank you for the ecard!

SUSAN! You made goal!?! That is so wonderful!!! I am so happy for you! Congratulations!

Maggie, my first microwave was from Sears and it was huge and weighed a ton! I love my microwave and have no idea how I would get by without it. I also use a crockpot a lot and I'll be using it tomorrow as well. I have two...a small one and a large one.

Anyone who wants my email can have it; just let me know!

Everyone take care....
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #7  

Good morning gals and to you all! I went to make a reservation to go to the brunch and they are fully booked, no surprise, but Kelly didn't get home until the evening on Friday so we couldn't do anything sooner, so I told it was no big deal that I had already given Thomas his Easter "basket" and we decided to have brunch next Sunday and I can catch up on his cruise, school, Easter and everything else going on in his life.

I guess I am eloquent! I not only had my letter, though it ended up chopped by the editor's red pen so to speak, published, it was published in the Sunday paper! Whatever happens with budget happens, but I hope the city rejects the mayor's attempt to again use the employees as punching bags when there is money to be found elsewhere.

Susan: Oh my goodness, we are so thrilled for you!!! How wonderful and almost 2 extra lbs under too. That as Fernando Lamas used to say is "fahhhhbbbbbuuuuulous." I think Jack is going to have to start bringing his laptop down here though as it is very warm and muggy upstairs at the moment. We are sleeping downstairs as it is way too hot to get a decent night's sleep upstairs. It is much cooler downstairs. Why would you need a cook, when you had a chef for a husband, right? I don't think I ever asked you did Stan specialize cooking as a chef is Italian, Steaks, etc or just overall menus? Jack's extensive cooking involves great grilled cheese and cutting onions and fixing canned sweet rolls! Funny thing, I couldn't cook a whit when I got married and have hilarious stories to prove it, but I am totally self taught and turned out ok. God Bless him, Jack ate what I cooked though sometimes with a grimace.

Jean: Until I married the Navy man, I hadn't been to many places other than home to eat. My parents couldn't afford it and my grandfather pinched pennies a hundred times. We used to go to my bil's mom's in Arkansas (where Jack and I went a few weeks ago) during the summer and it is about 14 hours from my hometown. Grandma had to fix a huge picnic for us and grandpa pulled a small trailer behind that had our clothing and stuff and cooler with dry ice and such and we would stop by the side of the road, because though there was some interstate, he refused to drive it and drove all back roads down there. She would have fixed potato salad and jello salad and sandwich stuff, chicken, etc and we would eat picnic. No restaurant or whatever for us. I had gone to McDonald's a few times but usually with the Camp Fire girls when we went on an excursion, and a few times to a restaurant at Easter, but we mostly ate at home. Our little town had a couple diners, but until I was in high school and my best friend and I used to go in there for a plate of french fries to share and cokes, I had never eaten in one of them. Hope you and your family are having a great time today. I too wanted to thank you for the Easter card!!

Gail: I would get nothing done I am afraid if he were home all the time, so when he retires it will be interesting. I do enjoy him being home though, I think because I am alone so much of the time. Do send me your email and I don't know if you were a party to this or nor, but all of us decided that if something were to happen to one of us, that our spouses or a friend maybe in Susan's case would let us know so talk to Wayne about emailing me if something would happen to you and then I will let all the rest of the ladies know or have him email someone at least. Just send me a message here on a pm and give me your email address as I looked and the only one I have is your former work one.

Maggie: Jack eats certain fish, like he really likes salmon, but pretty much hates anything else except the gook at Long John Silver's, which he loves. We go to Indiana he always tries to time it so he can have it. I figure since it is only a couple times a year max, it isn't going to kill him to eat it as we don't have them here in town anymore. He also like shrimp and really likes scallops, which I really hate. Oh and he likes a nice crab cake too. I am not a big fish eater, but I do like tuna, salmon is ok, talapia or other white fish are ok too as long as I have cocktail sauce! I imagine living in S CA you would appreciate fish a lot more.

Well gals, I know you are all out to church and then to family or friends. I wish a blessed and happy day today! Faye

Last edited by gma22; 04-24-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #8  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Happy Easter!
Old 04-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #9  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Donna Faye, I'll email you by tomorrow. I'm just on-line for a second. I have told my oldest daughter that IF something happens to me, there is a list of email addresses she will need to send an email to. People that I have met on-line through the years that I still keep in touch with. On-line friends have become real-life friends to me. I do miss Wayne but you know what? I'm kind of glad he's going to work tomorrow. He's taking my car. I have a list of things I want to take care of and I know I'll get them done because I'll be here in the house alone.

Well. My kids and their kids are due to be walking through the door any minute...so I better go check on that mac and cheese cassrole!

Happy Easter!

Last edited by GailR; 04-24-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful sunny day here in the Heartland. I have been having a nice quiet time in my office looking through some of my many cookbooks. I have a little WW paperback called "Savoring Summer" which has 50 recipes for quick grilling and casual cooking. One of those that i got free when I purchased a WW cookbook. I have several of them and they all have some yummy recipes in them. This particular one I made several recipes out of it last summer and am going to revisit them again. I cut up fresh garlic for I use it in a lot of meat dishes. I saw in one of my catalogues ~ a bar made of stainless steel that one can rub on hands to remove the odor of garlic that lingers in your pours. I had a good laugh at that because years and years ago my father told me to rub my hands on the kitchen sink and it would remove the garlic odor. Guess some folks need that bar if they don't have stainless sinks. I have a wonderful smelling candle burning in here right now ~ because the dogs go and get a bath tomorrow. They both need a bath for they kinda stink and the candle sure helps my breathing. We went out to eat at noon to one of our favorite places ~ Whisky Creek. There were just the two of us and we didn't want a booth for a large crowd. I had a noodle dish with grilled chicken and brought 2 cups of it home. My appetite is sure shrinking. I can remember the day when I would have eaten the whole thing and then some. I will probably end up sharring what I brought home with Will for dinner with a salad and some fruit. Life is good. I see I just got an email from the dog trainer folks to click on a site that has good doggie treat recipes. I will go there when I finish here and see what they offer. I already have some recipes that they like and that are good for them.

GAIL Have fun with your kids tonight. That mac and cheese sounds delicious. I love mac and cheese and it is surely a red light food for this happy camper. It is nice to see a movie that isn't full of the bad language or nudity.

DONNA FAYE Hopefully that editor didn't chop so much out of your article to change the meaning. for getting it published. Growing up on the coast probably does have a lot to do with liking or not liking fish. When a kid I remember if my father was busy and didn't have the time to go fishing his friends always brought us some. We once had a tuna flopped down on our diningroom table that filled it up end to end. My mom and the neighbor lady (my aunt) canned lots of tuna that evening. Red Snapper is my all time most favorite though. I love snapper.

JEAN I have the lightened version recipe for those RL biscuits that is good. If you want it and I haven't shared it with you before let me know. They are real easy to make. I got a chuckle out of your description of cooked mushrooms. Mine don't turn out that way at all. Probably because I use fresh ones and not those slimy canned ones.

SUSAN I do hope this day is going well with you.

Have a great rest of the day Magnolias. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-24-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining!! The wind is NOT blowing!! It's been a beautiful day in my neighborhood! The kids have gone home and for the most part the house is put back together. I need to sort through the toys and organize them again . . . maybe tomorrow. I have load of laundry in the washer and part of the Sunday paper read.

Gail -- Let us know how the WM potato salad is. I rarely buy groceries there if I can help it. Once in a great while I will pick up one or two things if I'm there for something else. They just finished rearranging the whole store, and now are at it again with some of the grocery items. That drives me ! The local grocery stores do the same thing. I just saw a preview of Water for Elephants on tv. It looks like a good movie.

Maggie -- Ernie has a night routine. About 8:15 he will sit by the cupboard where his treats are kept, and as soon as we put them in his bowl he heads for the basement where he sleeps at night. We think he sleeps down there when we are late coming home or even gone because he will meet us at the door stretching when we walk in from the garage. I don't think I have your RL biscuit recipe so please share. After what I've eaten yesterday and today I shouldn't eat anything for a couple days!

"Gma" -- You will probably have a more peaceful brunch next week than you would have had today. I feel guilty taking my time if there are people waiting to get into a restaurant. I'm glad your letter made it in the paper even if they did edit part of it. We ate out fairly often when I was a kid mainly because the "mom and pop" cafes were owned by people who were customers of my dad's; he felt we should patronize them also. There was just the three of us so I imagine it didn't cost much.

Susan -- I hope you've had an enjoyable relaxing day.

The washer should be finished so guess I will put in another load. Enjoy the rest of the day and evening!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 04-24-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #12  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Happy Monday morning! When Wayne left for work this morning it was so foggy! But the sun has come up and has burned it off and it's going to be a wonderful day with a high of 81. I refuse to turn the air conditioner on until Memorial Day or if it gets up into the 90's--whatever comes first! I need to go around the house and clean off the window ledges--I can't stand to have the windows open and see dirt. So that is one of my chores today.

Yesterday was so much fun. We went to church first--went to the early service and the church was packed! It seems like a lot of people only go to church on a holiday. My granddaughters were so cute in church--all dressed up in their Easter dresses. I asked Amy if she thought Robyn would stay clean for the day so Heather could see her. Amy answered, "We're talking about Robbie, right?" And she laughed. She had a second Easter dress (not so fine as the first) for Robyn to wear when they would come over later. We always have an Easter egg hunt for the little ones and it was fun watching Tyler run all over the backyard understanding for the first time what he was doing! Amanda, the oldest wants to grow up so badly but she was out there acting like a normal almost 11-year-old, looking for eggs. And then there was dinner. No matter how much I plan on being on program on a holiday I never follow through with it. But it wasn't that ONE DAY that got me to this place and today I am back on track. I sent a lot of leftovers home with the kids. All the mac and cheese is gone. And I want to say one thing, I LOVE the grilled chicken from KFC. I did hold back a breast for today's lunch.

Maggie, you know I'm a cookbook junky...and yes, I bought the latest WW cookbook at my meeting on Friday. I've skimmed through it but actually studied it. In my home office, I have a lot of bookshelves that hold my prized books: cookbooks (I have quite a few that were my Mom's) and knitting books! I have a few Christmas craft books and I intend on going through those this summer in hopes of making some new Christmas ornaments/decorations. I agree with you--the size of my appetite has changed tremendously. Even Wayne doesn't eat as much as he used to. Actually, my life has changed over the years. I move more! And I keep glancing out the window at this beautiful day and think as soon as I get through posting this I'm going to take a morning walk.

Jean, I smiled as I read your post. After the kids leave, Wayne and I literally start from one end of the house and put it back together again! And the kids try to help clean up before they leave...but as hard as they try they don't clean up like the way Wayne and I do it. I start picking up piles of stuff and putting it back in place and he start vacuuming. I start dusting/cleaning the small smudged hands off of glass sliding doors and he disinfects the kitchen counters! We are a team! Yeah! And today is my day to wash bed sheets...which are washing now. I will admit I go to Walmart to do the bulk of my grocery shopping; however, I do NOT like their meat department. Sometimes their produce is not the best so I'll go to my favorite grocery store for that--meats and produce. But things like shampoo, deoderant, soap, etc. is much cheaper at Walmart in my area. I'm like you, it drives me crazy when the manager decides to rearrange everything in the grocery store. I know why they do it--so we'll have to walk more in the store and we'll buy more. But really, I buy the same things pretty much every week.

For my lunch yesterday, I ate the WW cole slaw and a sandwich. It was okay. I can make it better--have more and less points. I still have not tried the WW potato salad. I'll let you know.

I'll check back in later...but I really do think I'm going to take that walk now...

Last edited by GailR; 04-25-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #13  

Good morning to you all. We had a nice thunderstorm with some hard rain move through last night and now it is nice and cool. I have the back door open with one of the circulating fans going to bring in the cool air. I get to thinking how I grew up without ac and now hate not having it. Of course, I am an crotchety old lady now instead of a teenager!

We had a quiet day yesterday. I just made a casserole for lunch and Jack had a grilled cheese and I had an egg salad sandwich for dinner. We started watching the Cubs game, but Jack got fed up and turned it off so he went upstairs and I sat and read this free Kindle book I have on my Iphone called Thirteen Little Blue Envelopes. It was a story about a teenager girl who had this kind of crazy aunt who was an artist. Her aunt picked up and left New York and told no one and then she died in London of cancer. She had someone send her niece a package during the summer that had these 13 envelopes numbered 1-13 and she was to open one and do what it said before she could move on to #2. It took her to Europe and basically she traveled all over the western Europe doing the things in these letters. It was a really good book and better because it was free. Because she got her backpack stolen before she could read the last letter, there is another book about that, but I haven't read it.

Gail: Sounds like you had fun with the grandkids. That's the thing have only one, egg hunts aren't much of a whoopdedoo. One year though I did do Thomas's egg hunt here at the condo and we used plastic eggs filled with stuff but also clues to where the next egg was until the last clue he ended up in the garage and his Easter basket was sitting on the hood of the car. It was fun for him I think. When my kids were little money was tight and so they didn't always get really fancy stuff at Easter, but I remember this one dress I bought for Kelly one year. Back then she was this little blond and I spent big bucks on this pink candy striped dress for her. She was so cute in it. I actually remember a couple of outfits I got as a kid for Easter. My mom had this thing about dressing my younger sister and I like twins for Easter (we are 2 years apart and I was a white blond and she had dark dark hair! lol) I remember this yellow, black and white polka dotted dress that had this little yellow jacket. The things we remember.

Maggie: I have always heard if you rub your hands with salt it will remove garlic or onion smell. Personally, I just use soap and water! People will buy anything, won't they? I have seen some of the craziest gadgets that people pay big money for and truthfully, the old fashioned way of doing whatever it is was always best. Don't get me wrong, I have gadgets galore that I really like, but sometimes you wonder why people buy something at the exhorbitant price some of these upscale places want for things. One thing I had for probably 25 years was this plastic ring I got free from a catalogue like Lillian Vernon. It had these 4 spikes on this ring and you could bake 4 potatos at a time and the spikes split the potato for you. Man, I loved that thing. I got it as a free gift way back when Jay was young. It had traveled cross country and back and never did get broken. Since we moved here, one by one the spikes started cracking and falling off until we were down to one spike and I looked in vain for something similar. I could find those metal spikes that stand straight up and a couple other things similar but never found one of those rings. I did finally find these 4 little things a potato can be pushed onto and sat in the microwave and cooked, but I sure did love that little plastic ring!

Jean: You have had some crazy weather at your house this last year, that's for sure. We start Memphis in May this weekend with the Beale Street Music festival so it will be interesting to see if it get rained on again. I think it has rained part or all of the music festival for at least 10 years. They have it at the big park down by the river and it becomes a mud pit when it rains. Then the week of the 9th starts our big famous BBQ contest. I don't even remember what country is host country this year. I will have to look it up. It sure brings the people into this town for May though, that's for sure. They chopped out some of what I called, "the good parts" but the general idea was in the letter intact. It won't make any difference, but I did it for Jack as he asked me to. I laughed when it was printed and and leaned over the couch and whispered to him, "That's why you passed English composition in college!" When he was going to college in Indiana, I would proofread his essays and such and fix them. He ended up with an "A" and believe me, if I had let him turn them in as it, he would probably have gotten, well let's just say lower in the grading. I have always liked writing so it was no big deal. Did the kids enjoy their Easter surprise at the water park? The worst two days to go out to eat is Easter Sunday and Mother's Day. You are nuts if you go out those days unless you go when other people are at church. So, I think we will enjoy it better this Sunday. It is a very nice buffet and has a great variety of stuff according to the menu Kelly emailed me. I hope they have nice fruit.

Susan: Well, today is Dyngus Day! Do you know what that is? I sure miss it since we live down here. If you don't know, it is the Polish celebration that ends Lent and boy howdy do they have a feast! It is a lot of beer, brats, hard boiled eggs and ham. South Bend has a big festival for it today and it usually coincides with the start of the Democratic campaigning in South Bend. There is a Democratic Club in South Bend and they have a huge Dyngus Day party. I am not Polish, but growing up in the South Bend area and the area has a huge Hungarian and Polish population, you get to enjoy stuff like this. Seeing as how they have a large Amish population not far too, you certainly do get to enjoy what those groups offer. My sister was married to a Hungarian man and his mom and dad were from Hungary and spoke no english. She made a mean chicken paprikash, let me tell ya! So I really miss the ethnicity of my hometown stuff. Hope your day yesterday was great!

Well gals, I need to get going. There is a lot to do around here today and it is nice and cool so I need to get going on everything. Have a wonderful start to your week! Faye
Old 04-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Monday Rainey Monday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

What a wonderful day it is today. It has been raining since early morning and has not let up yet. I love the rain & thunder. I should have been a "storm chaser." I certainly am enjoying my hot cup of this day. The dogs are at the groomer and will come home smealling great. I showed a "maintain" at weigh in this day and am pleased with it.: The new third starts next Monday. So it isn't a great loss but I am happy with my 11 pound loss for the first 4 months of the year because I went in the right direction all be it very slowly. I will try to make a better loss this next quarter. Well ~ Yoda says there is "no try" but "do." I will do my best. Onward and downward. OH ~ I love to hear the pitter patter of the rain on the roof. We do so need the moisture here in the Heartland. Some of the wheat farmers had to plow under their winter crops because of the lack of moisture. We get the "scoop" from a friend who works in the crop insurance field. I am not a big candy eater, I'm big from eating other things like cheetoes. Anyway when Will went to the store after he dropped the dogs off he bought me a couple bags of WW Whitman's candies. Now when I want candy I can have one of these little low point yummy morsels. I will put them in a basket and dust them off periodically for they will last a long time. Bless his heart for he knows that I am not a sweet eater as such, more of a salty gal ~ I love cheetoes. Once I wanted some chocolate and measured out an ounce of chocolate chips and had them in a tiny bowl and would eat one ocasionally. I ended up dumping them because the wanting chocolate left before I had eaten them all and they were getting dusty. No Easter candy for this gal. A beautiful boquet of fresh flowers does the trick for me.

DONNA FAYE What fun to go to those festivals. BBQ cookoff ~ yum ~ to be a taster and judge. I would love to be in Memphas in May. We had some real good times when we were in TN. Real good. Thank you for sending your rain this way for we sure needed it. I am not a gadget person but I do love appliances. Like my Quisinart Griddler that makes great paninnis and is is trick. It has cooking plates that are ridged, some flat ones and I am ordering the waffle ones. It is my most favorite appliance. I notice it is on sale now in my Chef's Catalogue. Such a deal.

JEAN Aren't animals creatures of habit. Earnie knows he will get a before bedtime treat and waits by the cupbard. I can know what Beanie and Ragg Mopp will do in any given cirmstance. Since they spent the night at the vets when we made that quick trip to Texas they are both sticking closer to us. I don't know how Beanie will take it to be nutered and have to sleep at the vets overnight without Ragg Mopp or his people to comfort him. I bet he will just be happy to see us. He is so thrilled to see us when we get up in the moring and come in when we have been gone somewhere and haven't take him. He is such a neat little dog. Another holiday doings is gone by and we gear up for the next one to come. Isn't it Memorial Day ...

RED LOBSTER GARLIC CHEESE BISCUITS LIGHTENED
Heat oven to 450
Line baking sheet with parchment paper
In medium bowl, mix together:
2C Lt Bisquick
2T stick margarine, chilled
Add & combine lightly with a fork
3/4 C 1% buttermilk
1 1/2 ounce lite sharp Cheddar, shredded
Drop by spoonfuls onto baking sheet
Bake 8 - 10 minutes until lightly browned
In small microwave bowl melt:
2T ff butter spread
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp fine parsley
When biscuits are done, remove from oven
Brush tops with the margarine-garlic mixture
Remove from sheet and serve immediately
YIELD: 12 (Serving size:1) 2 POINTS+

GAIL I also love to have the windows open and a light breeze coming in. OH those precious little girls all dressed in their new outfits hunting eggs is a great sight to see. Now it is a new day being back OP is a good feeling isn't it. It is a great idea to package up the left over food and send it home with guests. Nothing (like mac & cheese) will be calling your name now to eat. Isn't it a wonderful feeling to now have a shrunken appetite. It will be most helpful for us down this road to thin. I too like my coleslaw better than the one put out by WW. Here is my recipe and everyone that has eaten it likes it.

COLESWAW a la Maggie ~ Serves 6 ~ 1 POINT+
Mix together well:
1/3 cup Miracle Whip Light
1/3 cup White Wine Rice Vinegar
2 envelopes Splenda or other sweetener
Add as you wish some of the following or whatever spice you like:
Celery seeds
Seasoned salt
Seasoned pepper
Herbes
Pour over a 1 pound of shredded cabbage-carrot mix.

SUSAN I hope this day is kind to you. Be safe.

Time for me to get something done this day. WOW it is 2:30 already and I have not eaten yet this day. I had better get some lunch in me. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-25-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:36 PM   #15  

Good Evening, Flowers! I was here this afternoon and had just started reading when Bob called and wanted to know if I wanted to ride up to the cabin with him. He wanted to check the roof leak that he and Jason fixed last fall, and get dock braces out of the shed so the dock and hoist can be put in the lake. We had a beautiful sunshine start to the day which lasted about two hours. The clouds rolled in and the rain began while we were at the lake; here I sit in my jeans and sweatshirt with the furnace running off and on. This morning I went to church to do my account posting only to be $9.68 off! The treasurer came back from the bank saying we were $15 long when they counted the money. Well, after going through my entries, the secretary mentioned there was an additional $9.68 in coins from a Lent offering; "no one" bothered to report that piece of information in writing for me to enter, so when I did I balanced! Needless to say I didn't get much done around the house this afternoon.

Gail -- I will clean my window sills when it warms up a bit more. It's usually so windy here it doesn't take long for the dirt to blow in again. Congrats on your walk today. I had planned to go for one but . . . . . it didn't happen. I have lots of cookbooks and I don't even like to cook! My favorites are local ones put together by churches or organizations because I know a lot of the cooks who contribute the recipes. Sometimes I will buy one with great pictures and then my creation never looks like the one in the book. Did you buy WW or WM potato salad at WM? I'm confused!

"Gma" -- I have a few too many gadgets and plan to put the ones I don't use in a box for Amanda and Beth to go through. If they don't want them then I will take them to the SOS store. I've never heard of Dyngus Day; Sioux City had a large number of Polish immigrants at one time but I don't think so any more. At least I don't read about any special days or celebrations for or by them. Your book sounds like a good one. I will see if our library has it.

Maggie -- on your maintain this week. Thanks for sharing the recipes; both look good . . . would be better if you fixed and served though. I'll bet Beanie keeps close track of you once he's stayed overnight at the vet's.

Susan -- We miss you! Hope your day was a good one!

Guess I will head for bed and the 10:00 news. Have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 04-25-2011 at 10:39 PM.