Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/186.8/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Confidence?

So, I have decreased a pants size. Previously, I would always keep my "fat clothes" just in case. But, I have been giving away my fat clothes this time. It is actually a little scary, to be honest. But, I am confident that this is the time that it will stick. I have been doing this since the first of the year, and I am still at it! This is a huge success for me. I usually fall off the wagon and call it quits.

But, something new has been going on this time. I will fall off the wagon and binge one day, and then the next I am right back on it! If I see that I gained a pound in a day, I don't sweat it, because I know it will fall off soon.

Do any of you get rid of all of your fat clothes once you are no longer able to wear them? I've been guilty of always keeping them, but I'm getting rid of them this time.

What do you guys think about this subject?
Emmy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #2  

What a great thing to read this morning! Such inspiration to hear how great you are doing!

I too would get rid of the bigger sizes - don't leave room for yourself to get comfortable!

Keep doing great :-)
Monique
MoniqueDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #3  
made my dad a promise

S/C/G: 302/Ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

I am just now sizing down, and I gained slowly over the last 12 years, and I'm a controlled hoarder, so I have some clothes in most sizes from 16-26. I finally sorted out my closet this weekend to figure out what I actually have (and am willing to wear again) as the sizing down continues. I have a much longer way to go than you and will hopefully be going through several downsizes on the way.

I am committed to getting rid of clothes that are no longer wearable. No looking back.

I think I am going to have the most trouble getting rid of my current wardrobe because that's what I've been wearing for the last 2 years and it feels like "me", if that makes any sense.

I'm getting a little anxious right now just thinking about it. I don't have expensive tastes but I do like the clothes I have. Luckily I wear a lot of forgiving skirts (on the way up but also the way down hopefully), so I might be able to stretch longer than most and even skip must investment into some sizes on the way down.

Once I really can't wear my current wardrobe, I am hoping that the getting rid of will be easier, as I won't be as attached to those clothes and I'll be buying them with the idea that they won't be with me long, and to some extent I'll be making due with my old several year out of style clothing that I'll be happier to see go.

I don't have any answers, and I'll still at the very front end of this whole thing, but it does promise to be an interesting journey.
ilbnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #4  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

I got rid of my clothes this time around. I can no longer keep them in my house as somewhere in the back of my mind it is my safety net in case I screw up and jump ship. It was too easy before to just grab those old pants and continue binging. This time though I will be "punished" by having no clothes and having to buy bigger ones. And believe me, I'd be hitting the gym before I spend money on clothes in larger sizes!! I'm still in debt for the smaller clothes I had to buy recently! But to that I say --- BRING IT ON!
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #5  
SiLly MuCh?

S/C/G: 200/193/130

Height: 5'5''

I look forward to pitching ALL my big clothes in the trash as soon as I can. Shopping is a HUGE mental strain on me and because of that, I have an extremely limited wardrobe. I literally wear holes in my clothes before I buy new stuff. Of the three pairs of work pants that I own, the button has popped off of two of them because they are a bit too tight around the mid section and area of the pants between the thighs is starting to look a bit rough. (good thing no one looks there lol)
Once this stuff gets baggy, it's going straight in the trash can (or maybe the burn pit!!) It is going to be an incredibly freeing experience!
Dilli Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:47 PM   #6  

It's nice to hear from you all, as I was thinking that so many people would be like I have been all my other times - keeping the clothes "just in case."

I love the idea of getting rid of them now. And, as said above - I will go to gym more if my current clothes get too tight! Shopping for 18's or above is no fun at all!

Thanks for the replies! I can't wait to give away more clothes in the (hopefully) near future!
Old 04-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

That's a really great question! Now that I think about it, keeping my bigger pants have actually caused me to regain weight a few times (I put them on in the winter so I could wear to pairs for warmth but sure enough I regained the pounds because I felt comfy and didn't really noticed until it was too late). I think I may keep one size up on days I'm bloated but I think I need to get rid of anything larger. I think I keep them because I'm so used to failing that I expect to need them again...that has to stop!
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #8  
is chubby

I'm still wearing my stuff but with belts.
Once I out-shrink them I will send them straight to the poor-house.
We have a place here where poor people go to get clothes richer people gave away, so I give any stuff that grows out of fashion, or has some permanent little stain etc there.
Since I am posh with my clothing I feel less sinfull if I just give old stuff away when I get new stuff.
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #9  
Borderline Amazing!!!

S/C/G: 230/228/165

Height: 5'6"

In my opinion (and past experience) when keeping the clothes "just in case"... that case always came! If you don't have the clothes, and you have to spend the money on new clothes because your old ones are on the verge of not fitting, you will be a lot more inclined to get back on track to avoid spending the money!

I am glad I saw this post. Just this weekend I got rid of all of my maternity clothes. I know, it's been 2 years and I'm just getting rid of my fat clothes. But I finally realized that if they are around, I will always have a crutch to lean on when my clothes start to not fit. I would tell myself, well I do have the baggy, oversized shirt I can throw on. That way I can forget about it and eat these 10 oreos.

Well, no more!!!! I don't have those big and baggy clothes to lean on anymore! I fit in my clothes now, and I will only buy smaller clothes from here on out!! Again, just my opinion, but I say, Move on from the big and baggy! They don't fit you for a reason! Because you lost weight!

Good luck!
BrittanieYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

I was just thinking, it's also a great thing to donate clothing that doesn't fit anymore because there are so many people that can only afford clothes from like the Salvation Army, Goodwill, and local programs that give the clothes out free to people in need. Like after my mom died I was hoarding her stuff but after a year or two it hit me that instead of sitting in boxes and bags, they could go to making someone else's life better. It's a nice thought really to not only be losing weight but to also be helping other people out by donating old clothes. We're helping ourselves and others!
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #11  

Ok, I'm now super happy to get rid of my fat clothes! I already knew that's what I was going to do, but I was a little apprehensive about doing it every single time I size down. Like, if I make it to a size ten, maybe I'll keep one 12, because, you know. But, now I know for sure that I will continue down the path of giving away my fat clothes throughout this journey! Thanks so much for responding!
Old 04-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #12  

@ilidawn: I definitely donate all of my clothes - it's just the right thing to do! I will sometimes give some away to friends or family if they want them, but other than that they go to the Salvation Army, Goodwill, or one of our local homeless shelters.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 240/168/140

Height: 5'8

I've gone down 3/4 sizes and haven't kept any of my big clothes this time. I wore clothes with belts to get away with not buying new pants for as long as possible. I was thinking of keeping them as will hopefully be ttc next year but I changed my mind. I don't have the space to keep clothes that are huge on me now. I've kept my biggest pair of jeans. I try them on whenever I feel down about my weight isues to remind me just how far I've come for the last 18 months
LadyStardust26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #14  

Ooh, I like the idea of keeping one pair of my biggest pants... maybe I need to think about that. I think it would be nice to have that reminder.

What do the rest of you think?
Old 04-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #15  
SiLly MuCh?

S/C/G: 200/193/130

Height: 5'5''

Keeping one pair of your biggest pants could be ok. Just hide them away somewhere and promise yourself that you will never ever have them on for more than 2 minutes at a time! :-) No wearing them out or wearing them around the house because they're "comfy". You're only aloud to slip them on, look in the mirror, then put them back away.
Dilli Doo is offline   Reply With Quote