Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 10:53 AM   #1  

Red face Constipation.............

Have any other post-ops experienced the pain of constipation? I'm so poopily challenged I don't know what to do. I'm about 9 weeks post op (down 64 lbs. yeah.......), but I'm only doing number 2's about once per week. By the end of the week, I'm miserable. I ultimately get severe cramping, followed by about 2 hours of potty time.

I've tried chewable fiber wafers, but they taste awful and don't work. Any other suggestions?

Lorrie
Old 05-13-2003, 12:22 PM   #2  
she who must be obeyed

Hi Lorrie, I don't have this problem, but from what I understand it is not uncommon.

How are you doing with water?? Lack of water can make us "plug up."

May I suggest you call your surgeon and see what he/she suggests.

Good luck
Old 05-13-2003, 02:42 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

here's what they tell us: DRINK MORE WATER. and then take some metamucil.

good luck!!!

as you progress and can tolerate more foods, those veggies sure do a good job of fixing this. but in the meantime DRINK. don't stop at 64 oz either!!!!
Old 05-13-2003, 03:41 PM   #4  

The sad thing about this whole situation is I'm a HUGE (not necessarily body size anymore!) water drinker. I drink at least 90 oz. per day, always have. I was afraid to use Metamucil as I thought it would clog up my stoma.

Thanks for the input. Am willing to try anything.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:50 PM   #5  

gonnabethin, I don't have any advice for you, but I just wanted to say congrats on the 64 pounds!!!

you are doing great...how are you feeling....ummmmm, other than the bathroom problem?

peach
Old 05-13-2003, 05:13 PM   #6  

Thanks for asking, Peach. All in all, I feel really great. I have had a few episodes of experiencing foods that didn't agree with me (hours of dry heaves yuck). I'm also experimenting with proteins. I'm waiting for a sample order of Nectar and those pixi stix things.

Now, I need to get my rear in gear and start the exercise thing. YUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Lorrie
Old 05-14-2003, 09:42 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

lorrie, honey... i'm really sorry to tell you this, but exercise will also help relieve your constipation. it doesn't seem fair, does it????? but it's true. and as for the 90 oz of water. since you're constipated, this actuallyl might not be enough water!!! at least, that's what the docs have told me.

i understand and sympathize with that 'things that don't agree with us' thing. for a couple of months, anything made with an onion, whether or not i'd actually eaten the onion, made me sick
Closed Thread