Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #1  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Default 2 years since I decided to take off 100 lbs.

Wow. Two years since I made the decision to lose the 100 lbs I had gained 20 years earlier. It was April 20, 2009. I was coming up on my 50th birthday in October 2009 and decided that it was time. I was going to design a plan for myself and stick to it. At the time I had 3 motivating factors:

Sex. I gained 100 lbs between ages 30-31 and by the time I was 32 my dating life was over. Part of this was because of my career, but let’s face it, I had kind of taken myself off the market. I knew trying to re-enter the dating world at age 50 was going to be difficult and I didn’t want appearance to be holding me back.

Insurance. My company would likely be going out of business in the next few years and I knew purchasing my own health insurance when I was morbidly obese was going to be extremely expensive, if I could get it at all.

Perception of family. Yep, you don’t outgrow family dynamics. I realized that even though I think I’ve had a pretty amazing life, to my family I was simply the fat one. My niece and nephew had only ever known me as their fat aunt.

At my one year anniversary I reported that I had re-entered the dating world. Some fun, a lot of tears, but as of November 2, 2010 I have been in a very good relationship. Only trouble is that he is an excellent cook and my weight loss has not only stalled, but creeping back up ever so slowly (4 lbs in 6 months). Time in gym has dropped to nearly zero, same with my weekend hikes as his hips can’t take that kind of walking. However I have kept up my daily walks and WATP videos and we both bought bikes and ride on the weekends.

On the insurance front, my company is still hanging in there and I’m still employed. By insurance standards I am now simply overweight, and if I pushed myself, could get down to normal BMI if it becomes an issue.

Perception of family has changed, but as they live 5 states away and we’re all adults, we’re not really in each other’s day-to-day lives. It was gratifying to have my father tell me how much he admired my perseverance to take off this much weight, as he has always battled to keep his weight down. My always thinner sister is a bit disconcerted that we wear the same size clothes now.

Now that I’m at the 2 year mark, I have big decision to make. When I started this, I wanted to lose 100 lbs. Then as I approached that number, I set my goal 20 lbs. lower to get to normal BMI range. However, I was continually battling to get from where I am now to a lower number in my teens and twenties and I find a lot of bad eating behaviours are resurfacing now that I’m “fighting” that same 20 lb weight loss goal.

So I have to decide whether or not to make the final push. I’m currently pretty content with my body size and shape and I seem to be able to maintain this weight range for the last 6 months while not living in the gym or denying myself sharing meals with the beau. My annual physical is next week, so those numbers may help me decide.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

Congrats! Great story, great motivators, great way of thinking! Best of luck at your physical!
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #3  

You can lose the next 20 pounds by the end of this summer. That is one whole size smaller, and it means a lot more energy to do things also.
I had hit a stumbling block, but am bringing myself out of it now.

As long as you are aware of the problems, you can get back on track.

You look great and your dieting has made major changes in your life so far.
How wonderful!

I had a friend in her 90's who had lots of guys chasing after her...in their 80's. Guys her age just didn't exist anymore or were too incapacitated to get out.
She was working out everyday trying to maintain her weight and muscle tone. She watched her diet closely. It did her a lot of good. She was a retired lifeguard and physical therapist and believed in working out.
She lived to be almost 100 and had a long, happy and active life. So never let your age stop you from doing anything. I don't.
You have 50 years of fun ahead of you.

Last edited by JOLINA; 04-20-2011 at 11:36 AM.
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Congrats, great story!! Let us know how your physical goes and what you decide!!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #5  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

Caryesings, I don't know about the last 20 pounds - I have a mental block there too - but gosh I'm proud of you for losing that hundred and keeping it off!
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #6  
*~ZUMBA~*

S/C/G: 324/197/150

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations on your achievements & thanks for sharing your story. I love that we can come on this forum and talk openly about our thoughts, motivations and dreams.

You look great, by the way
dewdrop1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Caryesings, I have to love any 3FC member who, when asked to list her reasons for losing weight, starts off: "Sex. And insurance ..."

And who methodically lists her goals, describes how they were fulfilled, or remain to be fulfilled, and then asks herself where to go from here.

Sounds like, if you want to continue with your effort, you need to do some goal-setting. New ones, not old ones. Like, completely new. (No "even more sex" ;-) I think you were approaching that when assessing the love & warmth & yet also the challenges brought in your new relationship.

Start there.

And if I need to recommend someone in North Carolina with managerial abilities, you're gonna be on my list

Last edited by saef; 04-20-2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Redundancy, as always. "List her list of reasons." Urk.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #8  
Asses 2 Ash/Guts 2 Dust

S/C/G: 292/ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

I ditto's Saef's comments. I love your original motivators. They are unique, honest, and funny. I also agree that it might be a good idea to re-evaluate what your motivators are now. If it's simply because of insurance, that might be enough of a financial motivator but maybe not. Maybe you could find some new activities, like the bike riding, that fit in with the new life you've created for yourself. I think it's incredibly self-aware to realize that motivators and goals from two years ago, might need a little revamping to make sense and be worth pursuing for the new you.

“Do you choose to simply know the path, or do you choose to walk it “

1st Mini: 5%, 277.8 (-14.6): Met 4/15/11
2nd Mini: 10%, 263.8 (-28.5)
3rd Mini: 20%, 233.9 (-58.5)
4th Mini: ONEderland, 199.9 (-92.5)
5th Mini: 100 lbs, 192.4 (-100)
Final: Goal, 175 (-117.4)

One for every 5 lbs lost. So long suckers!!!
JamiSue3916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #9  
Baby got back, front, etc

S/C/G: 330.8/ticker/270.8

Height: 5'7.5"

First, congrats on your weight loss, and your relationship! Not many can say they are happy with their bodies and the fact that you can, makes your accomplishments even better
Second, family can be harsh when you are always the "fat" one, trust me I know, so I'm glad you were able to check that off your to-do list I know it's not a very good goal, but thats one of my hopes... to have my family shut up about my weight, and stop making snide comments. Basically I wanna say 'shove it' to them

Anyhoo CONGRATS!!!

Last edited by HeyPhatty; 04-29-2011 at 10:20 AM.
HeyPhatty is offline   Reply With Quote