Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 03:57 AM   #1  

Angry Newbie needs HELP

Hi everyone, I just registered and I am very excited about this site. I want to lose about 30 pounds, I lost 21 on Wieght Watchers and have maintained that...but I couldn't stick to it. I know I need to exercise in addition to eating healthy...but I'm SO insecure at the gym. Using the equipment isn't an issue, it's more about if others are looking at me, judging me, etc. My husband is in the Military so I have full use of a great , state of the art facility...I'm just too nervous to go back. UGH...I just need some suggestions and some motivation. If anyone can help....PLEASE DO! Thanks a bunch.......MisplacedTexan
Old 05-12-2003, 09:35 AM   #2  
Empress/Queen

Howdy, Tex! I don't really have any suggestions except to dig in your heels and go for it. I used to exercise only at home or on the desert, etc., and just discovered the gym's allure a few months ago ... was also very intimidated, although at our gym we have more senior folks (winter visitors) than hardcore gym rats such as you probably find in a military facility. But I'd bet those hardcore people are not thinking bad things about a newbie in their midst ... I'd bet they admire and respect you for having the courage and dedication to try something new and to be out there learning and working on your health and fitness. Maybe if one or two of them seems receptive you could venture a question now and then (or just look helpless).

Pls feel free to join us on the 12-week challenge thread (or any of the great groups here). Go to the gym!!!

Last edited by Amarantha2; 05-12-2003 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:11 PM   #3  

Thanks so much for your reply and words of encouragement! You're absolutly right..like Nike says....I'm gonna JUST DO IT.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:05 PM   #4  
Vegetarian

Hey Texan... I will go to the gym with ya! We can do weights together and flirt with the cute GI's! Just kidding (not really).

Christy
Old 05-12-2003, 11:15 PM   #5  

Thumbs down

Why thank you crazy islandmama girl....sounds great!!!!!
Old 05-13-2003, 03:17 AM   #6  

I am the SAME way!!!

I hated the thought of going in and having all these people see me work out. There were a couple days I just drove into the parking lot and sat there for a couple minutes and then chickened out, but 1 day before I could think about it I grabbed my stuff and walked in. Then it was too late to leave without looking like a total jackass. So I stayed and did 6 miles on the treadmill and 4 miles on the bike, and I realized......Nobody cared about me. They were busy doing their thing. I really like going there now, and I'm sure you will too. You just gotta take a deep breath and walk in there.

P.S. I'm still trying to get up the nerve to go to the Zumba Fitness class. That's going to take a bit more nerve since I'll be able to see myself in the mirrors they have in the aerobics room. We'll see what happens.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 05-13-2003, 07:40 PM   #7  

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Talking Welcome!

I recently joined also.. this looks like a wonderful place, I'm glad I found it!

I can't even imagine going to a regular gym to workout.. no way no how..ain't gonna happen...nope nope. *But* I believe I will give "curves" a try. www.curves.com Not sure if there's any info on their site, I had to type curves into the google search engine. I've heard nothing but good things about this place. They offer a low resistance workout in only 20 minutes (maybe 25) and no one is going to judge you whether you are 200 pounds or 500 pounds. I'll be joining in September.. I can't wait! The price seems pretty good, around $50 to sign up and then $30 to $40 a month with no long term contract to sign (major bonus if you just want to give them a try). It's cheaper if you pay by the year but it's nice to have the other options. I believe you can go to your local curves and ask for a trial week for free.

Good luck!!
Old 05-15-2003, 12:36 AM   #8  

Thumbs down

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post, I do appreciate the advice!!!!
Old 05-18-2003, 04:46 PM   #9  
Student of the Hoof

So .. Tex... Didja go to the gym yet? Just curious.
Closed Thread