Old 04-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #1  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

Default TMI - sigmoidoscopy

So, I'm scheduled for a sigmoidoscopy (I'm mortified, by the way) on April 29th because of my continued issues with pretty darn severe constipation that won't go away... in spite of a very high fiber diet (both soluble and insoluble) and plenty of liquids, in addition to fiber supplements and drugs like Colace rec'd by my doctor. I just got the procedure preparation instructions...and I find myself annoyed

Why annoyed? Not because of what the procedure entails (again, mortified here), but because I have to follow a low-fiber diet for 3 days before the procedure. No whole fruit, veggies, or whole grains. No nuts, beans, legumes, etc. I am being told that I have to eat white bread and pasta. I can have limited protein and some dairy as well, but fruits and veggies basically have to be canned, skinned, or seriously overcooked in preparation for this procedure, and only 1-2 servings a day. The day before the procedure is clearish liquids only (like apple juice and broth)....

I'm going to be soooooooooo freaking hungry by the time the 29th rolls around, and my blood sugar levels wont be fun (not diabetic, just IR) I actually had to look up what kinds of foods I was allowed to eat, because I apparently no longer know how to eat that way~ I guess there's something good to be found in that...
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Just curious why not colonoscopy as opposed to sigmoidoscopy? You're doing all the prep, why not have the full exam?
Sskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

And where is the copius amounts of fluid generally required plus the Fleet Enema ? I have had a sigmoidoscopy, more than once and the idea is to be completely cleaned out or as much as possible. And after all that water and the Fleet Enema you will be.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #4  
Back in the saddle again

Oh, the fluids, magnesium citrate, and fleet enemas are in the prep instructions...but I wont have any trouble with the getting all the fluids - that's already habit

Sigmoid vs colon so that they don't have to sedate (and I'm fine with that) - plus the doc is pretty darn sure that my issue (whatever it may be) is located in the sigmoid or descending colon, both of which will be seen in the exam. Plus, since I'm not showing any of the symptoms that indicate major problems (fever, vomiting, etc), just a major, major frustration/annoyance, and she didn't feel any masses in my colon, we're starting small~ She's thinking partial impaction, some type of diverticular problem, or IBS (which I'm not accepting as a diagnosis until they've at least taken a look around inside).
Old 04-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

Oh Spixiet. I am so sorry you have to go through this.

The white bread, pasta, canned fruit, etc is a low residue diet so there really is nothing left inside, after the mag citrate and fleet, that may disguise a problem.

In light of the restricted food choices, eat frequently of that which you are allowed so that the blood sugar is kept pretty level. You won't gain much (if any) in 3-4 days. In fact, you will be so whistle clean you may lose a little!

The only thing that kept me going for my colonoscopy was planning my post-procedure meal! Pick a good one!!
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #6  
Back in the saddle again

Thanks for the hugs DixC

I'm going to try to keep my calories reasonable, but I'm not going to stress too much...I figure I'll make up some of the over calories on my liquid diet day. I did a liquid diet "test" day on Friday to see how it affected me (that way, if it went badly, I could just go ahead and eat something and then try a different combination of liquids another day). I only ended up consuming about 900 calories, including a solid food breakfast.

I want to make sure that I follow the instructions to the letter....because I'm sick of feeling like this, and I don't want anything to get in the way of the procedure - I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best
Old 04-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have been through this and I feel safe to say that on the day that you have that horrid fleet enema and and that ton of water, you will not be thinking of food.... tthere won't be time for food. You might lose a little weight but it it is all water and is not a permanent loss. Right now follow doctor's orders and you can look forward to eating a normal healthy diet afterward.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote