Old 04-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #1  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Thumbs up Primal/Paleo for April 2011

Just thought I'd start the April thread!

Arkansas Kel: I'm not doing a whole30 thing either. Not yet, anyway.

I've been giving some thought to my meat sources lately. I often eat canned fish,smoked fish, lean turkey cold cuts. I like sausages, though I check their cab content before buying. I love fried chicken hearts.

But how often do I actually fry up a piece of meat? I need to give that some thought because it's not daily...

So, yeah, it's dawned on me a lot of my 'meats' are not considered paleo or grok worthy. I have to plan better.

(I'm getting ready to do some grocery shopping tomorrow )
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Happy Saturday, and thank you God for SPRING BREAK!!!!!!! It is much needed!

Souvenir - Thanks for starting the April thread!!!

As far as meat goes, I eat venison (steaks, sausage, ground) that my dad and brother provide me. I'm very lucky to have a source of lean grassfed meat! We also eat a fair amount of grassfed ground beef from Trader Joe's (I normally buy 2-3 packs on each trip) and make burgers, taco salad, Asian wraps, etc. with it. We eat chicken (love my crockpot chicken) - whole organic free range chickens which I also buy at Trader Joe's, pork, bacon (nitrate free/uncured - looking for a local farm source but closest is an hour a way). And we eat seafood (scallops, shrimp, fish). I'm also very lucky that for several months of the year my brother supplies me with rockfish, cobia, and other local fishes (He's been named saltwater Angler of the Year for several years here in Tidewater).

I almost never eat lunchmeat, but occasionally I'll buy my husband the Applewoods grassfed beef (no preservatives) hotdogs from Trader Joe's and eat one or two. I consider that a special treat.

I eat a TON of eggs (also very fortunate that a friend from work supplies me with her fresh chicken and duck eggs).

I am very lucky to have such good sources of protein!

When I eat out, I eat good ole' cornfed beef, chicken, or whatever. We don't eat out a lot, so I feel ok with it.

If you have a Trader Joe's I recommend them for reasonable prices - can't beat their grassfed ground beef, and it's so versatile.

Have a wonderful day, ladies!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Thanks Souvenir to starting the April thread...

Claire, you do have great protein/meat resources lucky you! In this town there is nothing unless you want to pay 17$ for a 6oz uncooked steak, I have yet to find bacon nitrate free ... Oh well maybe some day...

It hasn't been a good Primal day, I had a muffin and a donut... but DH and I did go for a nice long walk today...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #4  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

I have just over 50$ to spend on groceries for the next week and a half or so if I'm going to stay on budget. I need to find a way to make this work, since I'd like to pay off some other things.

I'll be checking out a new grocery store today. Not so much better prices, but lookin' for that organic meat. I'm hoping that better meal planning will be more efficient
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #5  
Come on ONEderland!

S/C/G: 254/ticker/175

Height: 5'-7"

Ilene, check out your local farmers market- hopefully they have one near you! Often-times you can get free range meat there.

So far, this doesn't seem too hard to do. It feels like it's working really well for me, but yesterday went for a long run and got really tired. That may be because I hadn't been on a long run for a few weeks. We'll see how I do this week.
uscarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

I got one word: fail. I think it's time for some re-evaluation.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #7  

So, I'm 4 weeks primal today and I have lost a total of 6" off of my body, I am feeling great! Absolutely no cheats and I'm finding it easy because this WOE leaves me so satiated. I ditched my scale as it's only moved down 7 pounds. I'm only going to weigh myself once a month but take measurements once per week.

Lupus symptoms are almost non-existent. Just a little stiff and sore around 10 pm at night but then gone by morning. I upped my vitamin D3 supplementation to 10,000IU/day and I feel like a new person. Really, I have more energy than I've had in years, I also feel happier?! I am on just 1 lupus med and haven't had to use steroids since beginning this WOE - I think my "moon face" is starting to diminish - FTW!!

Don't get too down Arkansas Kel! Just pick yourself up, dust off your shoes and start again tomorrow. I don't know how it is for you but after I avoided all carbs from grains and processed foods for 4 days, I stopped craving them pretty much altogether, which makes it relatively easier to say no on an everyday basis. 4 measly days, you can do it!
paleoforlupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #8  

Warning: downer coming: To clarify my "fail"

I just don't feel like I am doing this even half right. I quickly backslide. Eating with everyone else at work and like everyone else seems to be a priority for me for some reason. It's not peer pressure - I feel deprived when I have my big salad and they're eating chicken strips, corn nuggets and pie. I know their diet is not the way to go, but I don't know how to fight this off.

To make matters worse I am a born eater (not kidding - it's on my chart from the hospital nursery). I never feel full, even if I've eaten enough to run over I want to keep eating. I have no "done" point.

I keep rotating through different diets with a long break between each. I find low fat diets to be miserable. Low carb is great, except the inconvenience after awhile. Nutrisystem was painfully slow (to the point I was scolded by my coach), too expensive, and not that palatable. Primal has been easy except I want the darned pie sometimes. WW worked slowly for me, but I got discouraged, and bored with the tallying points gimmick. I need a way to adapt primal maybe? But my current adaption is not working. It's me trying really hard to be good, then not beating myself up (seriously, I don't) when I have a little something off plan - once or twice a day. I looked at Jillian Michaels awhile back and vetoed it. Her low carb concept is sorta small in the book. I have the spark diet book, but I don't do well on low fat - oh you should see how much I can eat then.

I know this is a long rant, and maybe just some thinking "out loud."

Is there a primalish, whole foods, real food, not too high carb, doesn't eliminate real treats (not a sugar free popsicle for a treat - those folks need to get real). I want real food, not frankenfoods. I don't believe starchy processed foods are healthy. I don't think meat will kill me, but I'm not sure a cookie a day will either. Any suggestions? I like the flexibility of primal, but not the feeling that I'm not completely compliant, and thus not doing it right. Maybe it's time to develop the "Kelly Diet" like Oprah did - she planned her own. But like Oprah, I've gone diet to diet with mixed successes.

Any suggestions? My only idea right now is that my dr. wants to check my thyroid, but that will be on into my next cycle when my hormone check comes up. Maybe I'll get that test done early. It would make sense if that's my problem. I have a lot of hypothyroid symptoms.

I need some love, and advice.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #9  
Keto lady

S/C/G: 206/190/Under 140

Hi Kel, I'm Belly Fat Cure but sometimes I lurk in primal/paleo threads for advice and stuff.

The Belly Fat Cure is lower carb (six servings of carbs a day, a serving being <20 grams) with a focus on whole grain/fiber in your carb servings. The other focus is to keep below 15 grams of sugar a day.

Check it out, there is a BFC thread in 'Other Reduced Carb Diets' and the book is very reasonably priced. Let me know if you have questions! It's a little less restricted than primal/paleo, but is centered around similar science. Good luck to you and congrats on your success so far!!!
Txalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Kel, you've got the love, no doubt there ... I do Primal with a cookie/treat per day, I usually have wine or dark chocolate. When it comes to outings it is a challenge to say the least to not feel deprived, unfortunately ... You will feel deprived, IMHO, on any food plan ... I try to focus on the conversation and fun with people instead of the food. I literally force myself not to look or even smell it, it can be excruciating to say the least... Good luck :hugs: you can do this
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Why don't you calorie count, but follow the guidelines that work for you?

I'm reading this thread, I eat close to paleo, but I'm not ready to declare myself "paleo/primal" because I think it's too much pressure to eat that way in this day and age.

So, I count calories, but I keep to whole foods as much as possible and if I eat brown rice or caramel popcorn, I don't beat myself up! I just simply add it to my calorie tracker and keep track of my carb/protein/fat ratios. I try to be have fat/protein always be higher than carb (45% or less).

Beating yourself up over eating a cookie is probably just setting yourself up to feel bad about everything. Eating a cookie is not the end of the world.

The bottom line with any WOE is how it makes you FEEL. Are you losing weight? Are you healthier? Do you have more energy? Do you feel good about what you're doing?

If eating primal/paleo 75% of the time makes you feel that way, then don't worry about the remaining 25%.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #12  

@Arkansas Kel - I totally understand your frustration but you need to try to let the guilt go, it only adds undue stress which in turn, keeps the weight on. We're all human and it's really hard to find a balance - but you will, you're a trooper. I was listening to a Robb Wolf podcast yesterday and it sounds like you would be a great candidate for taking it slow. Start with a week of just primal/paleo breakfasts (i.e. eat up your bacon and eggs!). Then the next week, eat primal/paleo breakfasts and lunches. See how you feel - I bet you'll feel better, which will motivate you further. Then on the 3rd week, make all 3 meals paleo/primal. Don't forget though, if you don't feel hungry for a meal (guarantee this will happen), don't eat it. Make a conscience decision to do this for 3 weeks, be prepared and make your lunches the night before. Throw meat in a crockpot and supper is ready when you get home. If you stay primal throughout the day, you can still have that cookie (but you probably won't want it) and still stay under 100g of carbs a day.

Read or reread Robb Wolf's Paleo diet, Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint or Loren Cordain's book for a little inspiration and reeducation.

You can tell by your posts how desparately you want to succeed and you'll get there, baby steps, but you will.

You can't have your cake and eat it too but you could possibly have a cookie!

Robyn
paleoforlupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #13  
Come on ONEderland!

S/C/G: 254/ticker/175

Height: 5'-7"

Kel, what struck me about your fail is this line: To make matters worse I am a born eater (not kidding - it's on my chart from the hospital nursery). I never feel full, even if I've eaten enough to run over I want to keep eating. I have no "done" point.

This is a big problem for me. I'd eat until I'm stuffed and feeling sick if I could. Trying to recognize the "enough" point is still something I struggle with. Perhaps try slowing down, and thinking about each bite of food you're eating. Add more fats into your diet to increase the saity feeling?

And screw salads. Salads are great and fine but you can go way overboard and eat way too many of them, in my book. So what if those people are eating something scrumptious looking. YOU make something for lunch that would be EVEN better. Like.... coconut shrimp and a pile of steamed veggies. Or, leftover steak and a sweet potato. Or... what about a curry you make with coconut milk, red curry paste, salt (makes the curry flavor good), chicken, veggies over cauliflower rice.

I've got a few recipe books- PM me if you want 'em.
uscarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:49 AM   #14  

Thanks for all the support. I'm still not flowing in a direction I like, but I know I got folks rooting for me! I read every response, and am considering some of the advice. I don't want to calorie count - it leads to obsession for me which in the end, the obsessing always leads to the undoing of it. I need to find some sort of balance, that's not open for over analyzing everything, that allows some room. I'm good without bread, rice, pasta etc. I watched my BFF eat a brownie pudding gaggie thing after lunch today and was unaffected, but I desperately wanted the chicken strips and had them. And I didn't really feel guilty. I took a day off on the plan. BTW I eat salads because they are the often the only acceptable choice when I'm out or in the cafeteria. Our cafeteria has a decent salad bar and nice little fruit boxes - often with cheese cubes or cottage cheese in them. I just get tired of the ice berg salad with ranch freakin' dressing choices while those around me get to eat the chicken fried steak monstrosity or the mega burger crap.

I'm leaning towards a hybrid plan, like a low carb primal with some built in "treat" times so I don't get the deprivation mindset going. Primal is easy, I can't argue that, I just sometimes want what I want - I'm an only child, what can I say.... And it's time to work in some moving. I'll think on that too. I'm in an evaluation stage. I appreciate your support and input.

Also, today, I had a basic TSH blood test- it came back low normal - which actually means I lean towards hyperthyroid. That's nuts. Then I read that if you have hypo symptoms, then the TSH may not be that accurate and you have to have a free T4 also - well, it's set up to be done in a few weeks when I have official lab work. It should tell more. Dang, I should be a hyperactive, undereating person based on todays labs. Whatever. I would think they mixed up my results, except I personally know who did it for me. It's mine. I'll wait for further evaluation on it.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 205/162/150

Height: 5'7"

Arkansas Kel,
You can work through this. I have moved from all sorts of failed approaches. I started calorie counting in October, then moved to restricted carbs in January, and have been working at primal seriously for a month. I also live in Arkansas, by the way. My favorite website is Kurt Harris at PaNu....lots of good wisdom and science. There is lots of confusion amongst the paleo crowd. He cuts through it.
TexArk is offline   Reply With Quote