General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/160/130

Height: 5'2"

Default mother in law is a food pusher, kinda long

Sooo my mother in law thinks food is love. She made a crap load of cookies (because Easter is coming) and gave us a lot. Her grandsons can't live without cookies from their Noona (Italian for grandma)! So she thinks! This is how she shows love she pushes food. She knows I don't like to keep cookies at the house because I have a problem (I can't stop eating them). I have told her this. She has said in the past, oh I can't give you this (fill in the blank) because you don't want that in the house etc. Every now and then she decides not to listen. I mean I have so many cookies you would not believe it. I easily have 5-6 dozen! I have a 3 and 5 year old. How about a 1-2 dozen. I mean really! She is old school when it comes to food, excess is best.

I have to put them in are freezer in the basement because they will be like rocks. Then I can take a couple out at a time for the boys. Otherwise, I will eat them all by the end of the weekend. I have already eaten my fair share today.

My pants were getting looser, I was in a better place. Ugh! There are just some things I CANNOT have in my house! Sorry for the rant, trying to be healthy is just so hard. I wish I could eat like a normal person. Thanks for listening.
jenjen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #2  
Keto lady

S/C/G: 206/190/Under 140

Height: 5'5"

Send them to school with your kids, to work with your husband, bring them to book club, give each kid one after dinner tonight and throw them out!! If she chooses not to listen to your requests, it's none of her beeswax what happens to them once they are in your possession!
Txalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #3  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Unfortunatley, I would have to throw them out.
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 266/248/150

Height: 5"9

Great advice from Txalupa, give them to whoever will take them.. and if they don't, throw them!
fancypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #5  
Yay for 2nd chances!

S/C/G: 235/needs a new scale/135

Height: 5'7"

I you are like me.. render then inedible before you "throw them out" so don't leave them in the zipploc.. or soak them in pickle juice. something. I've been known to grab that "perfectly clean bag of cookies" off the top of the trash. Yes it's gross. No I'm not proud of it.. but I have issues with food.
Aiesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:18 AM   #6  

Height: 67.7

Smile

I also agree with what Txalupa said.

Make sure that you send the cookies with other people so that there is less to tempt you.

But avoiding your problem won't make it go away. You will always have a mom-in law and kids who will present you with cheat foods. Wherever you go, there will always be temptations and avoiding them won't solve your problem.

Working on your overeating will help you deal with the extra cookies and it will make you stronger so that you can say NO, thanks next time. Learning to stick to one cookie at a time will also help you to control your eating habits, your weight and your problem with the extra cookies.

I know, it is much easier said than done, but it is doable!

If you want to overcome your overeating and your cookie problem, here are some tips to help you:

* You already know that you want to lose weight, but how are you planning on doing it?
* Setting goals will help to motivate you and to control your overeating.
* Keep a food dairy were you write down everything that you eat - every little bite here and there. It will help you to stick to a healthy diet.
* Learn to love one cookie at a time. Savour it and enjoy every taste sensation that you get from that single cookie.
* And when you want to grab another cookie or three, have a mantra in place. Something like "Nothing tastes as good as being in shape feels" will do you wonders with overeating.
* And also make sure that you eat enough, so that you are not so starved that you want to down all the cookies in one sitting.
*Find activities to do when you are bored to keep you from reaching for the cookie jar.
* And if you are a stress eater that overeats when you are stressed, make a list of things that ease your stress. And whenever you want to stress eat, just have a look at your stress list and pick an activity to ease your stress (other than eating).

Hope my advise could help you. Good luck with your weight loss efforts!
Suzie Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Height: 5'6"

Yes, yes, yes! Have one glorious cookie, enjoy every crumb, maybe sit down with your babies and enjoy it, then throw them out. It's not your last cookie, you know there are more coming, the babies don't need them either. I feel your pain! It's like there is a monster in that freezer waiting to get you. Girl, slay the beast. The 3fc army is behind you!
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #8  
IP started 4/25/11

S/C/G: 265/Seeticker/140

I agree with previous posters.

Accept them with a fake smile on your face. Indulge your family in one of them..then throw them away. Smash them up, if you are going to be tempted to eat them even after...but if you KNOW they are a trigger...Get them away from you!

A few weeks ago I could have junk in my house and be not bothered by it at all. Since the beginning of march..I want to eat everything and anything I know is bad for me!
So I've had to purge the house of it.
I'm sure i'll get back to that spot where I can go through a day without craving and seeking out sugars/fats/carbs, but till that day comes, I'll keep it away from me.

Good luck! And if the freezer is working for you great, if not...get them out of there! She'll inevitably give you more, as that is the way she shows love. She's not out to sabatoge, it's just what she knows!
MInewgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:15 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 218/188/150

Height: 5'5

I had that same problem with my boss yesterday. She gave me a 1/2 a cake because she couldn't take it home because she was going out of town. I told her I didn't want it because I would eat it. She said "Give it to your boys". So I had this 1/2 cake that I didn't want and I was going to have in my house, and I knew I would eat too much of it. Then a light bulb went off! Throw the damn thing away! And I did. I stopped at a dumpster on my way home and threw it in that. There's no coming back from that! LOL
suenos096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #10  

Do what I do. Give the pastries to your least favorite neighbor or co-worker.
They will gain while you lose.

My mother-in-law used to give me some ethnic food made with beef lungs..YUK...YUK..YUK!
I did not even want to touch it or get a whiff.

But I always looked forward to getting it, because my dog just loved the stuff!
And I never told my husband the dog ate the food.

JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #11  
I love my muscles!

S/C/G: 169/149/135

Height: 5' 5 1/4"

It's hard to throw away food. the first time I did it, it was painful, but after it sunk in, it felt so good! I am stronger than the cake (or cookie), as long as it's not in my house lol. It's better in the garbage than in your tummy for so many reasons. You can take control and not eat them, your kids don't need more than a couple either
pinkflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 171/160/120

Height: 5 feet- if I really stretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOLINA View Post
Do what I do. Give the pastries to your least favorite neighbor or co-worker.
They will gain while you lose.

My mother-in-law used to give me some ethnic food made with beef lungs..YUK...YUK..YUK!
I did not even want to touch it or get a whiff.

But I always looked forward to getting it, because my dog just loved the stuff!
And I never told my husband the dog ate the food.

OMG!!!!! Sounds all too familiar- my German MIL, a dear sweet beloved woman, but some of the "traditional" food... I too have happy dogs and a happy compost box
Tea Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #13  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

You can throw it in the trash or you can throw it in your body. You are so much better than serving as the trash can.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #14  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

If you feel bad tossing, see if you can donate to a local homeless or womens shelter or daycare, or nursing home, assisted living, church, etc.

Personally, I would toss, I have done that. I've also fed stuff to the dog. Since I live on a farm, I've been known to take it down to the tree row, and leave it for the wildlife.

On the light hearted side, remind yourself, you are "to old/smart/strong, to take orders from a cookie!"
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote