Old 04-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280-->150

Height: 5'7"

Default It may be time for a new gameplan.

So, I've come a long way in the last two years, and I'm very grateful for that. But the further down I go, the more of a struggle it is. I'm more on-the-ball than ever, rarely slip up and when I do, it's only a minor mistake. I have a gym membership and go at least once or twice a week, more often 3-4 times. I keep my cals at 1300-1500 about nine days out of ten.

But those slipups, no matter how minor (ie, eating 1700-2000 cals in one day), set me back a huge amount. I spent three weeks whittling down from 196 to 192, only to jump right back up to 196 by being off-plan a few days. Not binging, just hovering around 1800 cals a day, that was enough to do it. I'm certain it's not water weight from sodium either, because it's lingering.

Let's face it... my body is fighting me. Now I have to figure out how to fight back. Any suggestions, oh wise board members? What should I focus on improving?
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #2  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I guess my first question would be -- Is this different from when you first started your journey?

I know that at my heavier weights when I took a day off plan, it wasn't unusual for me to gain several pounds in that one day. Of course, it also came off faster.

In your post you say that you'll gain four pounds after being off plan for a few days. Is this unusual for you? Or is this normal but you're more frustrated because your "off days" are nothing like they used to be?

How long have you been in the 190's? I know my own body gets at a weight and needs some time to adjust to it before it "gives up" and accepts the new norm.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 280-->150

Height: 5'7"

For the binges, though in the past my binges would send me up temporarily, they wouldn't stall me out entirely so long as I didn't let them get into the high range (ie, 2300 cals) or last more than a day or two. Now, a single binge day at around 2k calories can ruin weeks of effort.

I've been in the 190's since early January. That's what's changed really, the progress just gets slower and slower, I'm not even doing 1/2 lb a week anymore, not even on average.
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:40 PM   #4  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

What sort of plan are you following, i.e. are you just calorie counting or are you low carbing? If you are low carbing going slightly off plan can do major damage! If you're not low carbing you might want to give it a go for a little bit just to help break the plateau.

Change your exercise, instead of the gym go swimming, walking, get naked and dance Or it might just be that you need to increase what you are doing at the gym, increase the intensity or duration. Heavier weights or more reps, faster on the treadmill or a little longer.

Once you see the pounds moving again, those little slips get less important and usually less frequent. Losing weight and seeing the scale move and the clothes get bigger is such a great motivator, but when its not happening frustration sets in - anyone that has lost a serious amount of weight has been there!

Good luck

Last edited by jitterfish; 04-14-2011 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Because I'm a terrible speller!
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #5  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

Maybe try changing up your diet a bit...? Do you find yourself eating pretty much the same meals over and over again? Maybe switch up breakfast with some eggs or oatmeal instead of a bagel, etc. I also find my body responds well to adding in extra protein, getting lots of H20 in, and making sure to get a good night of sleep.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #6  
Finally Losing Myself

S/C/G: SW 278/ CW see ticker/ GW 150

Height: 5'5

I think I would try a gym overhaul first. Go more often for longer times ,increase your weights/reps/resistance/distance. Take a new class or add a new activity.

I have done this every things several times on my journey and it has worked to get the scale to move again. It also kept me from getting bored and kept me focused.

Good luck!
Nikki6kidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:43 PM   #7  

I seem to be in a slow pleatueau where I lose really tiny amounts each week, its getting frustrating! at this rate it will still take me months to reach my goal (it is that slow)

so this week I changed my usual diet (I kept calories between 1200 and 1500), and mostly eat normal foods in moderation, even chocolate.

this week I cut most carbs (no bread, no rice, no pasta) and I also cut sugar.

I think sometimes we do need to shake things up and change something!
I haven't weighed in yet, but I definitely feel like I have lost weight this week (weigh in is monday), my pants are very noticeably loss from just last week!

Last edited by icedragon6669; 04-15-2011 at 11:45 PM.
icedragon6669 is offline   Reply With Quote