General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 234.5/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Default Extreme Couponing

Has anyone been watching Extreme Couponing on TLC? It was on last night at around 7pm. Crazy stuff! One guy bought $800 worth of stuff and got it all for about $27! I will definitely be looking for coupons from now on!

Do you know of any good coupon sites?
CurryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

I have watched a few of them and I am going to be paying attention to sales and coupons more now. I wish they would give us a bit more info on good places to find them online. The ones I am finding send lots of spam to my email and really seem like a waste of time.

I know I will never save like they do on the show but even if I can save $20 a week it is a start!
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/172.8/145

Height: 5'2

You have to pay for alot of the really good ones from my understanding.
DisgruntledOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Thegrocerygame.com is a good service that helps you with deals in your local area but you have to become a member.

I just always snip out coupons from what comes in the mail and some stores you can go online (like Ralphs) and upload coupons into your club card. Then you can also check up product sites they usually have coupons you can print. Also I believe online newspapers have coupons you can print from them as well.

I don't save as much as those people (though I'm never going to need 40 jars of mustard) but I'd say at least $20 a week which does add up!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

If you are facebook, find your local grocer and "like" them. They usually post deals and coupon there. I clip coupons too, however I dont save much in the end because I hardly buy any processed or pre-packaged food.
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #6  
Wear 9/10 by 9/10/11!!

S/C/G: 160/158/130or9-10inPants

well this show ISNT realistic in the slightest to how REAL couponing works. You do not ever need that much stuff and especially multiple times a week. A Stick pile is one thing, but its enough for about 3 months, not 3 years! It should also be what youll use, not just whats on sale. I have been couponing since Jan and have saved over $500. Hotcouponworld is a GREAT site!! You can also trade for coupons on there.
Morethananumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/130

I love that show, watched it with my mom and she wish she knew what places they shopped at cause there are no stores like that around here! I liked the guy last night because he made care packages to send to the troops
Bulletproof Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #8  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Stores around here don't double or triple coupons. I can remember when they did.

I started a thread about this a while back and the general feelings were that these people are hoarders. I mean, taking all your closet space to stash stuff? What do these people do with their clothes?!

I'm going to start evaluating what we buy and how some of that can help. I do use some canned goods. Beans and tomatoes. I don't buy other canned veggies. I prefer fresh or frozen.

Also, sometimes the store brand is cheaper even with a coupon unless it is doubled. I'm not a slave to a particular brand except for mayo and ketchup.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #9  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Sometimes the coupons are for produce and other things- I have a coupon right now for frozen vegetables and then I get ones for things like save a dollar if I spend at least $5 for meat, etc. But those are usually store coupons- Ralphs is pretty good with those.

Last edited by beerab; 04-14-2011 at 01:48 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #10  
Wear 9/10 by 9/10/11!!

S/C/G: 160/158/130or9-10inPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
Also, sometimes the store brand is cheaper even with a coupon unless it is doubled. I'm not a slave to a particular brand except for mayo and ketchup.
but you have to compare prices and sizes in this case. Just because store brand is cheaper doesnt mean its a good size, thats why a good couponer will tell you to sometimes get the smallest size and other times to look at the "unit price" because it can vary.
Morethananumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #11  
Sassy, Classy, & Badassey

S/C/G: 239/221.8/135-ish?

Height: 5'5

Oh! I'm so glad I saw this thread!

I have been a couponer for about two years now. I have saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars over these past two years. I cannot remember the last time I ever had to pay for toothpaste, razors, or shampoo! (And no, I'm not crazy!) I only coupon for myself and my live-in boyfriend.

As someone previously mentioned, "The Grocery Game" - there are websites that cater towards local grocery stores/chain. In my opinion, The Grocery Game is a ripoff - they make you pay a subscription fee. CouponMom.com does the exact same thing, but for free. You do have to become a member (which is just a simple email sign-up).

There are a TON of other sites that are super helpful. My all-time favorite (and the site I credit 99.9% of my couponing knowledge to is: Hip2Save.com. Collin over at Hip2Save is a godsend. She is incredible. Make sure you check her out... Click on "Coupon Newbie" at the top menu and you'll be set! Also, check out her video series for couponing tips and tricks.

A few of my other favorites:
CouponingtoDisney.com
TotallyTarget.com
WildforWags.com (Wags = Walgreens which is actually a really, really fantastic coupon store)

Couponing has saved me, financially. I am a college student and just cannot afford to pay full price for things. I'm not a crazy stockpiler, but I do have a small closet in my apartment full of pasta, body wash, deoderant, home products, toilet paper, paper towels, etc. that I paid next to nothing for. It's really not hard - if I can do it, anyone can.

I know I'm like super gung-ho about couponing - but it has seriously saved my financial-life.

Also, all of the websites I listed are completely free. Don't ever pay for a couponing website.

If you're a fan of forums... HotCouponWorld.com and AFullCup.com are couponing forums that cater to the big name stores (K-Mart, Target, Walmart, etc.) as well as your local grocery stores.

Seriously, though, Hip2Save.com. Go check it out. Read all about being a coupon newbie and you will see how much money you can save!

P.s. Most coupons come from inserts found within the Sunday newspaper. But a lot can also be found on Coupons.com, SmartSource.com, and RedPlum.com (all of these are free). One thing to note, you must download software to print coupons - this is to avoid fraud (i.e. people printing 100 coupons) the standard limit for coupons is 2 per computer. But I promise you, they're all totally safe.

Yay couponing!

Last edited by badassey; 04-14-2011 at 02:10 PM.
badassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/167/140

Height: 5'2"

I get regular emails from http://coupondivas.com that I enjoy. The site has videos that are helpful. Before a friend told me about this, I had no idea about such things as CVS Extra Care Bucks. If you click on the COUPON DATABASE you can search for coupons for your favorite products.
MonicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

I think couponing is great but just because you CAN buy 62 jars of mustard doesn't mean you SHOULD.

I've only caught tidbits of several episodes and I think one man worked for a food bank and that was cool. Rather than hoarding all the food in your over stuffed basement for the next alien invasion he's helping feed those in need.

I'm in the same boat as cbmare, no stores here double and especially triple coupons. When I put in the effort to find coupons for stuff I'd actually use, it never seemed to come out cheaper than the offbrand or regular weekly sales. And here at least, sales are usually cyclical over a 4-6 week period or so.

So, I guess for my situation, couponing doesn't pay off for the work I'd have to put in.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #14  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morethananumber View Post
but you have to compare prices and sizes in this case. Just because store brand is cheaper doesnt mean its a good size, thats why a good couponer will tell you to sometimes get the smallest size and other times to look at the "unit price" because it can vary.
IA. That is always the case. I've actually found stuff at Costco that cost more per unit than I could buy in the store. Just because it is enough to feed Cleveland doesn't mean it is a better buy.

Also, whenever a brand name goes on sale, check the store brand. Sometimes it is marked down as well. You just won't use a coupon. However, if you are brand loyal for certain items, the store brand won't matter.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4a5r View Post
Oh! I'm so glad I saw this thread!

I have been a couponer for about two years now. I have saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars over these past two years. I cannot remember the last time I ever had to pay for toothpaste, razors, or shampoo! (And no, I'm not crazy!) I only coupon for myself and my live-in boyfriend.

As someone previously mentioned, "The Grocery Game" - there are websites that cater towards local grocery stores/chain. In my opinion, The Grocery Game is a ripoff - they make you pay a subscription fee. CouponMom.com does the exact same thing, but for free. You do have to become a member (which is just a simple email sign-up).

There are a TON of other sites that are super helpful. My all-time favorite (and the site I credit 99.9% of my couponing knowledge to is: Hip2Save.com. Collin over at Hip2Save is a godsend. She is incredible. Make sure you check her out... Click on "Coupon Newbie" at the top menu and you'll be set! Also, check out her video series for couponing tips and tricks.

A few of my other favorites:
CouponingtoDisney.com
TotallyTarget.com
WildforWags.com (Wags = Walgreens which is actually a really, really fantastic coupon store)

Couponing has saved me, financially. I am a college student and just cannot afford to pay full price for things. I'm not a crazy stockpiler, but I do have a small closet in my apartment full of pasta, body wash, deoderant, home products, toilet paper, paper towels, etc. that I paid next to nothing for. It's really not hard - if I can do it, anyone can.

I know I'm like super gung-ho about couponing - but it has seriously saved my financial-life.

Also, all of the websites I listed are completely free. Don't ever pay for a couponing website.

If you're a fan of forums... HotCouponWorld.com and AFullCup.com are couponing forums that cater to the big name stores (K-Mart, Target, Walmart, etc.) as well as your local grocery stores.

Seriously, though, Hip2Save.com. Go check it out. Read all about being a coupon newbie and you will see how much money you can save!

P.s. Most coupons come from inserts found within the Sunday newspaper. But a lot can also be found on Coupons.com, SmartSource.com, and RedPlum.com (all of these are free). One thing to note, you must download software to print coupons - this is to avoid fraud (i.e. people printing 100 coupons) the standard limit for coupons is 2 per computer. But I promise you, they're all totally safe.

Yay couponing!
Thank you! I will be checking these out tonight!
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote