Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #1  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

Default I love grocery shopping.

I really do! I love making grocery lists, going to the store and wandering every aisle, picking out everything I want, carrying it in the house and putting it all away in it's perfect little spot, I love seeing how nice my kitchen looks with all its new healthy food in it, and I love deciding what to cook first and when.

I just love it! My boyfriend thinks I'm a freak but it's just my thing.

You probably coul guess I went shopping today... lots of fresh produce- mango, squash, broccoli slaw, tomato, apples, oranges, berries. Whole wheat pastas and sauces, frozen stir fry veggies, luna bars, 3 cases of water, bunches of eggs, tuna, whole wheat bread etc etc etc

OH and I made homemade artichoke hummus! YUM. It's been a good day.

Am I the only one that LOVES grocery shopping??
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:25 PM   #2  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

I LOVE it too. I buy groceries 3-4 times a week because I get such a thrill out of it, and also because I like to treat myself to things like sashimi grade fish (only good for ~24 hours after purchase).

I think I am going to go INSANE when I move back to the U.S. this summer and see variety like you mentioned...I live in a small and very poor rural town here, so the supermarkets are absolutely nothing compared to the monstrosities back home!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:25 PM   #3  
J.la

Height: 5'0''

I went to the grocery today too! Since I am a college student and I live with my mom, my mom buys all the fresh stuff to make dinner and I buy snacks and things to take for lunch. All the stuff I buy is premade because it is faster but I enjoy going too so I can pick out my own food. The fresh stuff you got sounds yummy!
j0lamo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #4  
sugar is the devil

mmm do you have a recipe for the artichoke hummus??? Sounds just lovely...

I agree with everything you said - except the hauling it into the house and sorting it all. Too me it feels like a chore and I dread it
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:42 PM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I don't really get turned on to regular grocery store shopping, but when the farmer's market season opens. I'm like a kid in a candy store! I want everything that looks great and a menu starts forming in my head. I love, love, love to cook, so when I see really good veggies, I start to get excited. you would not BELIEVE the amount of produce we go through in a week!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I do! I do! I love food in general! I love grocery shopping, buying kitchen devices (!!), going to farmer's market, looking at cooking websites, eating at new restaurants, putting food away, cooking, thinking about cooking, eating, thinking about eating

I think honestly this is why dieting has been pretty easy for me, because I love food so much that I love thinking about ways to make what I'm eating healthier. I love perusing for new ingredients and trying new recipes. I'd much rather spend calories on a dessert I took two hours to make with fresh ingredients than a Lean Cuisine ^_^.

Your artichoke hummus sounds delicious. Yay food!!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:23 AM   #7  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetScrumptious View Post
mmm do you have a recipe for the artichoke hummus??? Sounds just lovely...

I agree with everything you said - except the hauling it into the house and sorting it all. Too me it feels like a chore and I dread it
I sure do! It's a recipe by Hungry Girl (whom I also LOVE) and it's all diety and delicious

Hungry, Hungry Artichoke Hummus
PER SERVING (1/8th of recipe, about 1/4 cup): 56 calories, 0.5g fat, 400mg sodium, 9g carbs, 3g fiber, 1g sugars, 3g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 1*

Ingredients:
1 cup canned artichoke hearts, drained
1/4 cup fat-free vegetable broth
1/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt (like Fage Total 0%)
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp. crushed garlic
1/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. paprika
One 15-oz. can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
Optional garnish: additional parsley flakes and paprika

Directions:
Place all ingredients except chickpeas and optional garnishes in a blender. Set aside.

Place chickpeas in a bowl and thoroughly mash with a potato masher or fork. (If you have a super-strong blender, feel free to skip this step.) Transfer to the blender. Puree until smooth, stopping and stirring if blending slows.

For best flavor, refrigerate hummus for several hours. Before serving, garnish with a sprinkle each of additional parsley flakes and paprika, if you like. Dip away!

MAKES 8 SERVINGS
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:43 AM   #8  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I used to live overseas in different parts of Asia, and I miss grocery shopping for the ingredients I used to find, so I like finding local ethnic markets. In California, every flavor or people lives here, so I can find all sorts of Chinese, Indian, Indonesian and Middle Eastern markets.

My favorite place to go grocery shopping in the world is Paris. I love the variety of the markets, meats in one shop, good cheese shops, veggies from and open market, the bakeries everywhere. American supermarkets are really convenient, but so unimaginative! I have enjoyed Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. Bristol Farms in Southern California is also pretty awesome.

I do love good farmer's markets. Not the ones that have very little produce and mostly crafty things or bakery items and sweets. I want good produce! I love fruit stands because I can get genuinely ripe produce that's fresh.

I'm on the hunt for good spice shops. I've found the Penzey's shop in Southern California, but everything is already packaged there. I wish I could find fresher herbs and spices, bunches of dried oregano and wild thyme. It would be nice to taste herbs that fresh. I can get good Greek oregano from my mother. I need to transplant a cutting to my house, and grow my own herbs.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:04 AM   #9  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

i haaaate it, but mostly because i have to haul a bunch of crap from a parking lot a few blocks away and then up 8 flights of stairs haha

that, and dorm fridges are so tiny that i don't really get to go crazy picking stuff out.

i'll probably love it when i have a house!
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:30 AM   #10  
Trying again!

S/C/G: 179/172/139

Height: 5'7"

I'm kind of the opposite, I like it when the cupboards and fridge are empty, I love using up the wierd ingredients to try and make something edible from them
Theyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:38 AM   #11  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

I love, love grocery shopping, too! I usually go to just the normal chain, but there is a Whole Foods, Trader Joes, a huge Asian, and a huge Indian grocery store all within 2 miles of my house and food shopping is so much fun for me. Ironically, when I was eating whatever, whenever I actually didn't like it. Now that I am paying much more attention to calories and concentrating more on fresh foods, I have a blast shopping for food!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:34 AM   #12  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

I love grocery shopping! I do it 2-3 times a week
It's exciting to me because I cook almost all my meals (maybe eat out 1x every 1-2 weeks)! Planning what I'm making is always exciting and I love changing it up!
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:47 AM   #13  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Love the display of abundance, the colorfulness of the produce, the sense of possibility, the way it tickles my creativity.

Hate the anarchy of the parking lot, the checkout lines, paying more than I'd thought I would, lugging bags, and trying to make room for all that produce in my fridge.

Love the cooking & assembling. Hate the cleanup.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #14  

I enjoy it when I'm alone, which is rare these days. I always have my 10 month old with me, and sometimes my 3 years old...which has made it something I do not look forward to because I'm kind of rushed and trying to keep two kids happy...but I've found making a very specific list so I don't have to browse helps....but yes, if I were alone I would really enjoy it.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #15  
Keto lady

S/C/G: 206/190/Under 140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
My favorite place to go grocery shopping in the world is Paris. I love the variety of the markets, meats in one shop, good cheese shops, veggies from and open market, the bakeries everywhere. American supermarkets are really convenient, but so unimaginative!
I love grocery shopping in general! However, I agree, Paris is the BEST place EVER to shop for food (and other things)!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything is fresh and beautifully displayed and delicious!

Txalupa is offline   Reply With Quote