Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 04-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Question Dry brushing?

Not so much of a "does it work," ore of a "do you do it?" I recently came upon it. The whole "makes skin smooth and reduces cellulite!" comment drew me in, even though I realize it's bull. Still, I tried it, and I have to admit it felt really nice. I saw people comment that it helped get rid of dry skin. That seemed more believable. I think I'll stick to it, actually.

Anyway, anyone here do it? When did you start? Why do you do it?
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/140

Height: 5' 4"

I've heard its also good for healing stretch marks. Don't know if that's true or not but its what made me consider trying it. You haven't seen any improvement in that area have you?
rbphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbphoenix View Post
I've heard its also good for healing stretch marks. Don't know if that's true or not but its what made me consider trying it. You haven't seen any improvement in that area have you?
Yeah? That's cool. I just started today, so I'll let you know in a couple of weeks. I also use cocoa butter almost every day, so I'm hoping to see a bit of an improvement.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #4  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I do it, but not regularly. It does help me with my very dry skin issues. I'm allergic to most soaps (except for the pure olive oil ones without scents), so I dry brush at least once a week. Wish I remembered to do it more often. I do like how my skin feels afterward. I dry brush everywhere I can reach, then rince off with warm water. Then I apply almond oil on my arms and legs where most of my driness is the worst. I also get a body scrub and massage at the local day spa once a month.

I lost nearly 50 lbs a few years ago and my skin really started sagging. I noticed recently that my skin has tightened up quite a lot, and I think the brushing has helped some. I'm 50, menopausal and starting to lose elasticity in my skin. I think I'm prepared to lose the next 50 lbs now, and I plan to step up the dry brushing and body scrubs so my skin will shrink faster this time. We'll see what happens.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #5  

I have sensitive skin, so I have a lot of problems with soaps, too. I'll stick with it.

I hope it really does help tighten skin- I would love to tighten the skin on my arms and thighs just a bit. I'm not relying on it though, I'm still losing weight, cc and lifting weights.

Last edited by yhahmd; 04-11-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 147/see ticker/115

Height: 5'3"

I do dry brushing. I have very itchy, almost eczema-like tendencies on my back (I'm always asking DH to scratch my back for me! ) and dry brushing before I shower plus using moisturizer consistently afterward has really done wonders for healing and making my skin less itchy. And I just use a long-handled bath brush with natural bristles, keep it dry at all times, and then my lotion is nothing special, sometimes with scent and sometimes unscented, whatever's on sale. I think right now I'm using some Aveeno something or other.

Cellulite, however... eh. I feel like it's improved a bit since I've been dry brushing and moisturizing, but that's also within the time frame that I've been dieting and exercising, so I'm more likely to attribute it to my overall weight loss than running a brush over my skin.
kat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #7  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for the comment on what brush you use, kat999. I was about to ask.
How much pressure do you apply? I tried it a bit on the weekend but found it not really pleasant.

Last edited by josey; 04-11-2011 at 04:37 PM.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #8  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

I am soooooo hooked on dry body brushing!

I have been doing it daily, in the am right before I shower, for about 4 months now.
And it does, to some degree, help with cellulite, that isnt bs

I strongly encourage people to understand they lymph system better. Here is a decent reference for a quick overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lymphatic_system

In short, your lymph system runs right under your skin, has no pump (like your heart is for your blood circulatory system), and is responsible for an awful lot of work related to weight loss. Notably, for the elimination and transportation of fat as well as cellular waste.

Dry brushing is one of the things you can do to promote lymphatic drainage. This isnt a magical cure for cellulite, but it does help. It also helps with edema.
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

sorry. what is dry brushing? my guess is scrubbing your skin after you shower? is there a special brush you use?

this sounds so interesting! thanks for your answers!
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #10  
Fat Chick on a Mission

S/C/G: 216/ticker/150

Height: 5ft 3in

I read about this a few years ago but never tried it....I think I might try to find a brush tomorrow when I go shopping.

Are there specific areas to focus on, or directions/motions to use?
dragonlady1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #11  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

The suggested brush is just a hard bristled brush you can buy at any drug store.

There are specific instructions, but they are short (borrowed from the website I link to below):
"I believe you should start the dry skin brushing session by starting at the area around your armpits, then brush your stomach in a clockwise circle, then brush your upper leg area. This stimulates the areas closest to the main lymph nodes. Then, to keep it simple, you can start at you feet and sweep up the legs in long, light brisk movements. Brush your arms with an upward motion, moving towards the heart All skin brushing movements should be towards the heart, to encourage the return of blood and encourage lymphatic flow.

Pay particular attention to the cellulite-prone areas like your thighs... The whole process should take two to five minutes.

Make sure the brush you use has natural bristles. You should ideally dry skin brush before every shower."

Video on this site, I had this women perform the lymphatic drainage massage on her site too, love her!
http://www.detoxdivas.com/Detoxdivas..._brushing.html
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #12  
Kitty Redux

Hi
I’m a former beauty therapist and we used dry brushing a lot. Here’s the how to -
You use a natural bristle (aveda has a good one)
You brush from the furthest part of your body towards the heart, ie start at the toes. the reason for this is it is a lymphatic stimulator, don’t brush down you are fighting your body.
Use as much pressure as you like, firm enough to feel but don’t make yourself uncomfortable, it’s supposed to be a nice experience.
ALWAYS before your shower/ bath. The water enhances the brushing effect.
Here the science behind it –
You are helping stimulate your lymph system, this is a waste disposal system of your body. (You know when you cut yourself, don’t bleed but there is that clear liquid that can bead there? That’s your lymph fluid)
You are brushing off the dead and flaky skin, allowing the new soft fresh skin to come to the surface. Hence you feel all soft and silky (and who doesn’t like that!)
As for the cellulite, well, really there is minimal “getting rid of” what you are doing is stimulating the skin, as such you get increased blood flow (ie you go pink) and this brings with it the food your skin needs. This gives you nicer feeling skin, also plumps out the dermal layers and “smooths out” the bummpyness. There is some pseudoscience that claims that the drawing away of the toxins under the skin will get rid of the cellulite. Have yet to see any believable research on this.
I hate to say it but once you got cellulite, it’s staying. UPSIDE!! It’s genetic and you can be as skinny and fit as you want, if your programmed to get it you will!.
I hope that was helpful
Kitty
Pipercroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #13  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipercroft View Post
Hi
I’m a former beauty therapist and we used dry brushing a lot. Here’s the how to -
You use a natural bristle (aveda has a good one)
You brush from the furthest part of your body towards the heart, ie start at the toes. the reason for this is it is a lymphatic stimulator, don’t brush down you are fighting your body.
Use as much pressure as you like, firm enough to feel but don’t make yourself uncomfortable, it’s supposed to be a nice experience.
ALWAYS before your shower/ bath. The water enhances the brushing effect.
Here the science behind it –
You are helping stimulate your lymph system, this is a waste disposal system of your body. (You know when you cut yourself, don’t bleed but there is that clear liquid that can bead there? That’s your lymph fluid)
You are brushing off the dead and flaky skin, allowing the new soft fresh skin to come to the surface. Hence you feel all soft and silky (and who doesn’t like that!)
As for the cellulite, well, really there is minimal “getting rid of” what you are doing is stimulating the skin, as such you get increased blood flow (ie you go pink) and this brings with it the food your skin needs. This gives you nicer feeling skin, also plumps out the dermal layers and “smooths out” the bummpyness. There is some pseudoscience that claims that the drawing away of the toxins under the skin will get rid of the cellulite. Have yet to see any believable research on this.
I hate to say it but once you got cellulite, it’s staying. UPSIDE!! It’s genetic and you can be as skinny and fit as you want, if your programmed to get it you will!.
I hope that was helpful
Kitty
Great post. Thanks for the details and instructions. I will start tonight!
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 160/160/128

Height: 5.4

Default dry brushing

I have been dry brushing for a couple of months now after reading the benefits of it while detoxing. Apparently many of the toxins are released through the pores of your skin and to the surface. Dry brushing before a shower helps to rid the surface skin of these excreted toxins. It has made a real difference in the texture of my skin as well...very smooth!! good luck with it!!
HAPPYPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #15  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Interesting! Totally different post from what I originally thought when I first clicked on this, lol. I may try it...
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote