General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Oh my goodness! Now I really want a bicycle!

We bought my husband a bike yesterday at REI. We used past dividend money. We used the 20% off coupon and that made it affordable. Last fall, we bought a buddy bike for my younger son and I and yesterday and today we rode it and on my goodness... I forgot HOW MUCH I LOVE TO RIDE!!! The breeze in your face, getting places quickly, and I don't know, there's just something about a bike ride. I love it.

However, we just plunked down nearly $500 for his and can't exactly do that for a single bike for me. Yet, I'm not willing to ride the tandem bike solo around town. With my son is great as it allows us to do things as a family, but solo?

Now, my older son has a bike from the time he was 10 or 11. He's outgrown it. So, it's probably my size. HOWEVER, he has trashed it somewhat. It needs new handle grips, a tune up and looks all beat up. Plus, it's a boys' bike. Not that it matters that much. But, I don't know... I must be spoiled because I want to choose my own bike - just for me to tool around the city. We have trails everywhere and we live so close to everything.

I just didn't realize how much I missed riding! When is REI's next sale? I think they have more than one a year... and I can look elsewhere too for deals. I'm fascinated by Electra bikes.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 272 / 172.5 / 150

Height: 5'-9"

I would recommend checking out craigslist for used cycles. You might get lucky and find a great deal on something new or barely used.
manders01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

Check Kijiji, Craigslist and for sure GARAGE SALES. I bet you can find a decent bike for under $50! Maybe not perfect, but decent
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #4  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

As a college girl without much of a budget, I've purchased two bikes under $50 on Craigslist - both needed tuning-up to the tune of about $80 & $100, but that meant I had AWESOME tip-top shape bikes for under $150.

I use the word "had" because both bikes were cool enough to be stolen, in the end.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #5  
Melissa

We just bought a used bike in great condition (our buddy bike), but I'm always hesitant with things with moving parts. Now, I'm the queen of bargain shopping and almost EVERYTHING we have is used, but bikes are tough. You would have to be confident on the brakes and gears working properly. We once took my son's bike in and discovered it would cost about as much to fix it as it would to buy new. It needed new everything.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #6  
Melissa

So, I found a bicycle that almost exactly fits what I want. It's teh brand, just not the model, but it will save me like a gazillion dollars to get this used one (about $400 for this same model new versus used and about $600 savings over the one I'm dreaming about).

My 'want' side of me really wants the girly bike. The logical side of me says, go with this deal and RUN! And get girly accessories. It's the style of bike and brand of bike I want, so be happy girl! Right? (So bad to have wants that aren't rational!)