Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/205/150

Height: 4'5

Unhappy Confessions of a "Fat Girl"

I have gained 50 to 60lbs as an undergrad in college.

I have been known to eat 2 large restaurant-size burritos in one sitting and 2 cups of horchata. Sometimes 4 of a slightly smaller size...

Compared to my mom and sisters I am the biggest one and I hate it.

When I go back to my hometown I'm ashamed to see my old friends because of how big I am.

Sometimes when I look in the mirror all I see is a flawed "fat girl" with stretch lines.

These are things that I hide from my family and friends. But I thought that it would better to admit them outright and truly begin. Although I have tried to lose weight in the past I suppose I've not dedicated myself to it. I guess there is a subconscious belief that it's better to not really try and fail then to put my heart and soul in and still be a failure... Regardless, here are some of my confessions and the beginning of my true attempt.

I will continue to move forward.
Tyrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:07 AM   #2  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Tyrande- to you!

We've all been where you are. Truly, starting is the most difficult part of this whole process.

You can do this. There are many great people here who can give you support and guidance along the way.

I'm in your corner and so is everyone else here. I look forward to hearing about your progress.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:30 AM   #3  
J.la

Height: 5'0''

I am on the same boat as you I am in college and I have gained 50 lbs. The best advice I can give is to keep going even if you dont see results right away because the results will come! Good Luck!
j0lamo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:39 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 206.8/168.9/115

Height: 5' 5"

we're rooting for you! keep coming back to 3fc and you will succeed, I guarantee it!
WannabeNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:51 AM   #5  
Nutella Girl

S/C/G: 197 / 135 / 140

Height: 5'5''

Like milmin said, we've all been there. I kind of had the advantage (don't know what else to call it, it goes both ways) of never being skinny so I don't know what it felt like but it always sucks to be the biggest person in the room (my entire family is skinny).
I used that as motivation but please remember that you have to do this for yourself, not for anyone else including your family, old friends etc
imperialistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:05 AM   #6  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I was terribly afraid of failure. So much so that in the beginning it was only my husband who knew I was trying to lose weight; I didn't talk to anyone else in my life about it until I had dropped about 20 lbs.

Here's the thing: If you put your heart and soul into it and fully commit yourself to it, you can't fail. If you dedicate yourself to staying on top of your food intake, weight loss is inevitable. All you have to do is make up your mind, and then do it. Eat fewer calories than you need to maintain your weight, and you will lose weight. That's all it takes. How much of a calorie deficit you create, along with how your body responds to foods and whether you exercise, will determine the rate and tempo of your weight loss. But all you need to do is take in fewer calories than your body burns each day.

You can do this. And after you've spent a few weeks truly committed to your weight loss and you're seeing the pounds drop off, you'll no longer fear failure the same way. Because you'll know, with certainty, that you're able to do this if you just stay committed. And then you'll be writing a post just like this to encourage someone else as they start their journey.

Best of luck to you, and don't hesitate to seek help of all sorts from the amazing people on this site.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:49 AM   #7  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

I could have written your post 2-3 years ago. I gained about 70+ pounds in college. You can do this!

I didn't tell anyone besides my sister and boyfriend I was going on the journey because I was nervous like you no one would believe me. I'm also very proud and pretend to be confident so I didn't want people to know. I didn't tell people I was working on being healthy until people started commenting about the difference in my face when they saw me at different events.

You CAN do this! Best of luck to you. You can message me to keep in touch if you want!
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:04 AM   #8  
Trying again!

S/C/G: 179/172/139

Height: 5'7"

It's only failure if you give up. You can't fail at something if you're still trying.
This place has managed to get me out of my hole of thinking I couldn't do it so let it do the same for you
Theyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:53 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

I gained so much in college, and I hated going back home too. As someone else said, I could have written that post. Ugh. Hugs to you-we've all been there. I know that it seems like a hefty task in front of you, but it's not insurmountable and you can do this.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #10  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

I agree that one of the hardest parts is starting a weight loss journey but I have found that forgiving yourself for not starting earlier was the hardest part for me. I equate it to starting a new book. It's hard to get into at first but once you are hooked, you just can't seem to stop.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think I also gained 70 pounds in college -- most of it the first 2 years! So, you're among people who understand such things.

I remember I used to buy front close bras, and gained weight quickly enough that they went from fitting to not fitting quickly. One day I was walking around campus and the bra burst open! No one else could see, but I was mortified nonetheless.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #12  
gym bunny

S/C/G: 210/168/140

Height: 5ft 6

You can do this, you just need to tell yourself this is so possible. Dont worry what everyone else thinks, probably have thier own problems that just arent as visible as yours is.
nickyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 238.5/?/no more scale 4 me!

Height: 5ft 4 (on a good day!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post
I have gained 50 to 60lbs as an undergrad in college.

I have been known to eat 2 large restaurant-size burritos in one sitting and 2 cups of horchata. Sometimes 4 of a slightly smaller size...

Compared to my mom and sisters I am the biggest one and I hate it.

When I go back to my hometown I'm ashamed to see my old friends because of how big I am.

Sometimes when I look in the mirror all I see is a flawed "fat girl" with stretch lines.

These are things that I hide from my family and friends. But I thought that it would better to admit them outright and truly begin. Although I have tried to lose weight in the past I suppose I've not dedicated myself to it. I guess there is a subconscious belief that it's better to not really try and fail then to put my heart and soul in and still be a failure... Regardless, here are some of my confessions and the beginning of my true attempt.

I will continue to move forward.
I could have written this post when i was in college. i know how you feel. i am way bigger than my mom and i hate it. i avoid seeing people. i hate what i see when i look in the mirror. i wish you alot of luck... don't give up.. it's so hard but you are young and you can do this! hugs!!

Last edited by bellastarr; 04-11-2011 at 08:39 PM.
bellastarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
I remember I used to buy front close bras, and gained weight quickly enough that they went from fitting to not fitting quickly. One day I was walking around campus and the bra burst open! No one else could see, but I was mortified nonetheless.
I'm not sure if this is has to do with being too tight, or just a cheap bra, but at work recently I was looking at some plans with a guy I work with and my underwire broke and I heard an audible "pop". If he heard it, he didn't let on.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #15  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I had an underwire break at my lowest weight - fatigue does it, not weight. Eventually most bras will have one pop or snap
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote