Old 04-11-2011, 07:04 AM   #1  
Woman on mission!

Height: 5'9

Default Book called Diabetes without Drugs. The 5-step program to control blood sugar natural

I finally got around to reading this book I mentioned several months ago. Below is some of what I have read. The book is Authored by Suzy Cohen R.Ph.

"You're just 5 steps away from losing weight, normalizing blood sugar levels and treating diabetes naturally. Step 1: Drink nutrition-packed green drinks, such as spirulina, chlorella, and barley grass, to add essential vitamins, minerals, micronutrients, and antioxidants to your diet. Step 2: Add vitamin D supplements to help control blood sugar and lower your risk for certain cancers. Step 3: Increase fiber intake to lower blood pressure and "bad" LDL cholesterol. Step 4: Take glucose-lowering and anti-inflammatory supplements like resveratrol, curcumin, and lipoic acid to wake up your metabolism and help you burn fat and sugar. Step 5: Include minerals, such as chromium, magnesium, iron, and vanadium, in your diet to boost your natural metabolism. By making these 5 easy changes to your daily routine, you'll protect your heart, kidneys, eyes, and limbs from the damage often caused by diabetes and eliminate some of the complications you may already experience."

Last edited by Butter_Butt; 04-11-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Butter_Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:10 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Now all we have to do is do it!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:22 AM   #3  
Woman on mission!

I take a Multi-vitamin made with whole food concentrates that contains 500 MG Spirulina, but I don't have nutrition-packed green drinks (spirulina, chlorella or barley grass). I take 5,000 IU's Vitamin D3 in divided doses twice daily, so take 10,000 IU's D, and will until summer when I can get sun. My D level was LOW! Slowly increasing fiber intake. I don't have resveratrol or vanadium, but take Curcumin, lipoic acid, GTF chromium and magnesium. Iron isn't low enough to require iron.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #4  

Though I'm sure all these supplements may have some benefit (I take fish oil and vitamin d myself), the only thing that really helped me lower my BG was weight loss and regular exercise.

I hope these supplements help you, but my personal experience suggests they won't. You'd probably have better luck with Metformin and Byetta ( assuming you are a T2)

--G
georgepds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #5  
Woman on mission!

Georgepds,
Yes, you are correct, weight loss and exercise are excellent choices to lower blood sugar. I do not tolerate Metformin, and am leary of and it is a personal preference to not depend on western medications. Type II Diabetics are commonly deficient in essential trace elements, minerals, digestive enzymes, amino acids, and vitamins. Given the soil that foods are grown, we end up being deficient anyway.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #6  

If you like supplements , Romero has a good review of "Complementary Therapies for Diabetes: The Case for Chromium, Magnesium, and Antioxidants"

I'm not allowed to post links yet, but if you search on the title , it comes up in google
--g
georgepds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:30 AM   #7  
Woman on mission!

Georgepds,
In a previous reply, you said, "I hope these supplements help you, but my personal experience suggests they won't." What has your personal experience besides Fish oil and D been? Thank you for the Romero info.