Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #1  
Nikki

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/155

Height: 5'7

Default What has surprised you?

So I've learned some surprising things on my health journey, and I thought it might be a fun topic for others as well.

DH is cooking bacon right now, and I'm really surprised that, although I adore the smell of fresh cooked bacon, I don't need to eat it. The smell is enough.

I'm surprised that I can have a container of those lofthouse cookies sitting on my counter for weeks and not want one at all. A lot of my past strong sugar cravings have melted away, and I'm both surprised and very, very thankful for that.

I'm baffled by the fact that a small single serving container of ice cream is -more- satisfying than a half tub of it.

I'm really surprised that I enjoy the way vegetables taste without butter, salt or ranch. I was a salt-a-holic, but now I actually look forward to fresh or steamed veggies for themselves!

And most of all, I'm really surprised at how much exercise has helped my entire outlook on life! When I'm stressed out now, I crave the gym and not a tub of ice cream or some mozzarella sticks. I love sweating, which is really, really odd for me!

What about your weight loss journey has surprised you the most?
still is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/174/155

i'm surprised by how rewarding/good it is to actually feel hungry when meal time roles around. i don't mean that in the sense of like--i'm on a diet and therefore am always starving! i mean it like--i'm on a diet, and therefore not [what seems like] constantly eating, and thus am hungry because it's time to eat... if that makes any sense
mel23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Still - a lot of mine are the same. I am really surprised that I can have junk around and not bet tempted by it. I make our bread and the smell is divine, but I don't need to eat it. I can make cake and muffins and not need to eat it (though I do try a bit of the batter, but a teaspoon is enough).

I also look forward to working out about 40% of the time unlike in the beginning when I had to drag myself to do it. Last night I WANTED to do the hard workout, not an easier one.

I forgot how nice it was to feel stronger, healthier more energetic.

Overall, I'm just surprised at how 'easy' this is. It wasn't this easy 13 years ago or 11 years ago when I tried. I think I have gotten a lot of demons resolved and that helps a lot. I'm in a healthier mental state now. Gives me a lot of hope then that this time the weight loss will stick.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #4  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

I'm pleasantly surprised at how I can plan for a "cheat" meal, enjoy it and be just fine until the next one. I can still enjoy things like pizza and burgers and Chinese...but I actually enjoy them MORE now, when I only have them every once in a while, than when I used to eat that kind of stuff all the time. It's really a *treat* now and I really don't WANT to eat like that all the time anymore.
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Good Surpises:
I'm surprised food doesn't hold that much interest for me anymore.

I'm surprised that I look forward to a warm cup of green tea and that giving up juice was not a big deal for me.

I'm surprised that I really enjoy exercise.

I'm surprised at just how much better I feel and how much easier it is to move around.

Bad Surprises:
I'm surprised that I look less propotionate now then I did at my maximum weight.

I'm surprised that I'm not super excited to have lost as much as I have.

I'm surprised that at this weight I would still feel like I have a long ways to go.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #6  
Keep on Moving!

I'm surprised at how much I love veggies and how little attraction chocolate holds for me now. I'm also surprised at how I no longer enjoy eating large quantities of bread - I used to love bread, but today I had half a baguette amd it was so heavy and stodgy I couldn't finish it.

I'm also surprised at how much I love doing my Salsacise routines. I'm literally dancing my backside off!
georgeshair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #7  
New start 24/10/10

Height: 5'8

I am surprised at how even when hungry I manage to make good food choices.
The other my bf came back with a mountain chips from the local kebab, I was famished because I was about 2 hours late eating lunch (also my first meal of the day) and I was so close to asking him for a few bites/small plate, I think I even asked in my head but I just kept my mind on the omlette I was making. I was very surprised because if my thoughts could have been projected I was thinking "GIMME CHIPS NOW" So I guess i'm surprised I can now control my hunger to some extent
supergir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #8  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

As others have said, I'm surprised that I enjoy exercise. I never, ever thought that I would.

I'm surprised that I have no trouble passing up candy. There is candy in my house constantly, especially around this time of year, and I don't even think about it.

I'm surprised that it's not harder to eat less. I plate a portion, eat it, and I'm done.

I'm surprised that I love greek yogurt. I always thought I didn't like yogurt.

The same goes for some other foods. I'm surprised I like peppers. I used to pick them off of things; now I add them and think "a good way to get more veggies!"

I'm surprised that I've managed to pack my lunch nearly every single work day for the past 2.5 months, and that it became routine many weeks ago. I used to get take out for lunch nearly every day.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

I am surprised at how small my shoulders are.

I am surprised that I lost over a shoe size.

I was surprised at how much I can eat and maintain my weight, as long as I exercise regularly. After so long at "dieting" calories, maintenance calories feel luxurious.

Lately, I've been surprised at how hungry pregnancy can make you. I could eat the world, if I let myself. But I am keeping it under reasonable control.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #10  
Keto lady

S/C/G: 206/190/Under 140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
I am surprised that I lost over a shoe size.

This!! I lost a shoe size as well!! Never thought my feet were fat, but now it's apparent to me that they're thin!
Txalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #11  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Love this thread

I, too, am surprised how much I love working out and how much I LOVE to sweat!

I am surprised how much I love touching myself. My stomach, my hip bones, my legs. I think this ties back to me not seeing the changes with my sight as much as I feel the changes with my touch.

I am surprised how much I love seeing people who haven't seen me since I lost weight.

Most of all, I am surprised as to how motivated I am this time around. I just can't imagine feeling trapped inside what used to be my obese, unmotivated and unhealthy body ever again.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

I'm surprised at how many bad foods I have in my apartment yet none of them sound appetizing. I still have Christmas and Valentine's candy in the cupboards that are unopened.
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I am surprised but how long I lived feeling SO bad and I didn't even know that I could live another way. I thought the way I felt was just what it felt like to get old... but in actuality it was my weight rating problems for me. Thank god I have learned.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #14  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

• My knives get dull very quickly from constantly cutting veggies
  • I have to go to the grocery store more often to keep buying fresh fruits and veggies
  • I do more laundry to keep up with my workout clothes and because I have less outfits that fit
  • Sweet potatoes are GOOD with just baking them and a little bit of cinnamon!
  • I actually like honey dew melons (I used to hate them)
  • I'm figuring out how to use a pressure cooker
  • Making my own pizza is so much more satisfying
  • I feel off on the days I miss out on exercise
  • Lugging my daughter around is MUCH easier!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

I will never be able to say i don't enjoy sugar...but i am surprised that if you don't eat TOO MUCH sugar, then things like Fiber One bars or trail mix can actually satisfy a sweet tooth. It seems that overeating dulls my taste buds, and i therefore need to continuing eating more to be satisfied.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote