Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-07-2011, 12:44 AM   #1  
Child of Har, 6rayedstar

S/C/G: 361/200/150

Height: 5'4

Default massive weightloss without surgery?

So I was at my gym again, but at an unusual time (mid afternoon/lunch time). Two women who didn't know me since I usually don't go in the afternoon were whispering and taking bets at how long I would last in coming to the gym before I quit. Little did they know that I have been a long standing regular, who comes in the early mornings or after work, and that I'd already lost a substantial amount of weight.
I guess they didn't know because for all practical purposes I am still obese. What is funny is that when I go at off hours (not my regular times) I see other obese people and for all practical purposes they also look like they just started up their gym routine. I wondered if I was the only one working out regularly after more than 2 years that still looks like I only eat jelly donuts and sit in front of the TV.

This got me into a discussion with one of the clerks at the gym, whether he'd ever seen a client start out really heavy and get really thin, without weight loss surgery. I mean went from over 300 pounds to under 170.

So folks I want to know if any of you guys know someone ANYONE who started out above 300 pounds and got below 170 with diet and exercise only. Not surgery

How long did it take?
what was their routine?

I wonder if the reason why I see so many thin people at the gym is because it's easier to lose 40 pounds and therefore look like you go, and be encouraged to continue going, than having to lose over 200 pounds and still endure the snickers of people who think its your first day there.

Last edited by Harsdottir; 04-07-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Harsdottir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:05 AM   #2  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

Well, I was 286 at my highest recorded weight, but it wouldn't surprise me if at one point I was over 300, and I'm 160 as of this morning - no surgery! I started in September of 2009, so it's been about a year and a half for me. I've been very consistent with the diet side of things. I've had various health issues that have made excercise more complicated (a serious back injury just over a year ago that prevented pretty much any exercise at all save physical therapy for a good 6 months or so was the biggest one. I still have issues from it and have to be very careful with exercise). Anyhow - I know it can be done, because I've done it.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:24 AM   #3  
I Will do this....

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 7

Began at 298 now 166 NO SURGERY !! Done in 3 days less than a year. My plan was to follow low carb, drink loads of water and never cheat. I also weigh daily to see the effects of certain foods and my cycle. I have this week added resistance training, but this is the first formal exercise of my journey.
H*ll yeah it can be done- if you are focussed and believe in your plan.
starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:31 AM   #4  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Hopefully Lori Bell will chime in. I know she was over 300 at her start weight and is now under 140, without surgery. I think (if I remember right) she also said that she didn't do any structured exercise, for instance at a gym. She just increased her day to day activities.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:32 AM   #5  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I have a friend who is a chef at a spa in Vermont. It's a health spa for women, so all her cooking is according to their dietary guidelines. My friend was nearly 400 lbs when she started working there. She took the job at the spa because they offered to let her work their program for free while she lived and worked there. She is now in the 150 lbs range and has kept the weight off for at least four years. It took her three years to lose it all, entirely with a balanced, clean diet at around 1500 calories and lots of exercise that included cardio, weight training and Pilates. She's in great shape now.

A lot of people who go to the gym and have been going to the gym, even if they are "thin", never increase their level of fitness. There are a lot of people who exercise at the gym to manage their calories from the drinking they do on the weekends.

It's a pity there aren't gyms for people to go exercise their maturity. Some people manage to go through their entire life being small-minded and obtuse and never exercise their emotional intelligence. They think that because they're thin, no one will notice.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:35 AM   #6  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

oh and harsdottir...I think 161 is massive weight loss. I am amazed at what you've been able to achieve. I always wondered if I had started out 100 lbs. heavier than my high weight if I would have been able to find the initiative to not only start, but keep going. You are amazing to me, as well as anyone else who has lost this much.

I have to ask........did these 2 harpies actually say this stuff loud enough for you to hear it....placing bets on how long you'd last? I can't believe how incredibly rude and obnoxious some people can be. Although, that would just spur me on to keep going because I love to prove people wrong.

You go girl! You're amazing and don't you forget it!!!!!
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:55 AM   #7  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by milmin2043 View Post
Hopefully Lori Bell will chime in. I know she was over 300 at her start weight and is now under 140, without surgery. I think (if I remember right) she also said that she didn't do any structured exercise, for instance at a gym. She just increased her day to day activities.
YES! You are absolutely correct! No surgery, no gym...just a pure desire to lose weight...day after day after week after week after month after month!

I have no idea what my actual real starting weight was. I followed a plan for several weeks before I got a scale that actually went above 305...unless you call ERROR a starting weight! After buying a new scale, getting it home and taking it out of the box, I was at 333.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milmin2043 View Post
Although, that would just spur me on to keep going because I love to prove people wrong.
And this too! I felt the need to make a few people eat crow. Doesn't hurt if it keeps you going right?? lol
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:07 AM   #8  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
It's a pity there aren't gyms for people to go exercise their maturity. Some people manage to go through their entire life being small-minded and obtuse and never exercise their emotional intelligence. They think that because they're thin, no one will notice.
Boy, ain't that the truth!
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

My mom and dad were both well above 400 and are now both very healthy weights, and are the most athletic people I know. I remember my father, being very offended once when he came home from work. Someone at work had basically said that he was either sick or had surgery to lose that kind of weight. My dad was a healthy person who worked so freakin' hard to get there, and so did my mom-I can't believe people say things like that.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #10  
This is for life!

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/136

Height: 5'3"

Well, "How freakin rude" is all I can say! I always wish I can come up with a quick and piercing comment to respond to a rude remark... but my mind just isn't that fast. I'll shoot off a dirty look in a flash though! Not that it would have done any good with those two. Maybe if you had gone up to them and said, very politely, "by the way, I've been comming here for a year and have lost over 150 lbs. Maybe if you work really hard you can lose some of your big mouths?"

I go to a gym also, and on day I was working VERY hard on the elliptical, as I was going into the dressing room a young lady, very thin and fit, said to me "GREAT WORKOUT!" That was so nice to hear! It really felt good to be appreciated for what I can do.
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I'd make a point to go to the gym again at that time until you find those women, and ask them which one won the bet.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #12  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I wasn't quite 300, but close at 272. I got down to 130 and have been maintaining here for 2.5 years just through diet and exercise; no surgery.

Please don't let anyone discourage you; you're doing great!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #13  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post

Love it!

My best friend has lost over 100 now and I am right behind her. We go to the same gym and have just kept going. Now that I've ben there over a year I can say that all those thin people weren't always thin!! Many of us have gotten that way by WHAT? Going to the gym! Some people just need to get over themselves! There are several people at my gym with large amounts of weight to lose and there are several people there are just fitness nuts. But my friend and I hear over and over that we are both inspirational and were even asked by our spin instructor to sit on a panel as inspirational guests for a group of people embarking on a new journey. It was a great experience and we weren't near goal at the time.

You know you'll get there! I always feel funny going in at a different time than the norm and wonder if everyone will just assume I'm a newbie. I don't like being a newbie, especially when I'm already quite well established. LOL!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I've never been below 170 but I have lost ~150 lbs and maintained that loss for over 3 years.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 178/174/155

"Two women who didn't know me since I usually don't go in the afternoon were whispering and taking bets at how long I would last in coming to the gym before I quit."

b****es.
mel23 is offline   Reply With Quote