Old 04-06-2011, 03:16 AM   #1  
Living and Learning

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

Default Advice please

I have struggled with binge eating for years. The past six months it has become quite unmanageable. A friend mentioned overeaters anonymous. I looked at the website and it looks a bit overwhelming. Does anyone have any experience with this organization? I don't really know what to do at this point, all I know is I can't continue on this way. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by gumboot; 04-06-2011 at 03:43 AM.
gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/168/125

Height: 5'2

I'm sorry but I don't have any experience with over-eaters anonymous, although maybe I should. The website has a quiz on it to see if you show the signs. Also you can put in your zip code under newcomer meetings and it will tell you the meeting spots and times. I kinda live in a small town and like 10 meeting places showed up for me, so it must not be that uncommon and more people are seeking help for it. Honestly, I don't see how it could hurt to go to at least one meeting, check it out and see if you feel comfortable there and perhaps add more meeting in the future. There is a lot to be said about support, it helps to know that your not alone in your struggles and it's one of the reasons 3FC is so popular. Good luck to you.
Dusti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Go to Chicks In Control there you will find threads for Overeaters Anonymous,
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #4  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I think that it certainly can't hurt to at least go to a meeting and see how you feel about the group in your area. While the materials and concepts are all the same, what really might make the difference is the people in your group. What if you click with them immediately? It might be the best decision you ever made.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #5  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I agree with Sandi, one meeting can't hurt and it might end up being the best decision of your life. The people 'make' the group, for sure! I remember joining TOPS meeting about 15 years ago, and the group were all old friends who were not very welcoming to strangers (and I'm a HOOT!) and were all content to not lose weight lol I went back to another meeting about 5 years ago and such a difference!! EVeryone was super supportive, and it gave me some accountability having to weigh in each week, and so many great ideas shared. Give it a go!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #6  
Flabulous

S/C/G: 230/218/160

Height: 5'9"

I agree that it probably depends on the group and the leader. There is generally a strong religious/spiritual element to the program, so if that interests you, I would try to find a meeting with a good group dynamic.

Personally, I would be stuck on the first step forever. There is no way I will ever admit that I am powerless over food. I am the one in control here!
LetsWorkItOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #7  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I agree @Letsworkit out, that was my stumbling block with OA, working the steps and not being able to get over that first one threw a wrench into it LOL but luckily there's a place for everyone, whether it be OA or TOPS or WW or our own heads!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #8  
Living and Learning

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

Thank you for the kind words. There is a meeting tonight that I am hoping to get to. It will be tricky with the kids activities this evening but I am hoping my dh will be home in time to help with them. I will let you know how it goes!
gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 198.5 /198.5 / 140

Height: 5'2"

I can't get past that first step either. In AA I understand it. You are powerless and need outside help (God or your chosing) to never pick up another drink. With food you have to find a way to take back the power you have given to food and learn to use your own power to eat as you should.

I hope when you attend the meeting it can help you but like someone else said there are other places to go if it doesn't work for you.
Joszac is offline   Reply With Quote