Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/240.8/180

Height: 5'10"

Default Weight Watchers Online Reviews

Hi,
My husband and I are debating joining WW Online and are hoping to find some reviews from actual users. We both lost around 30lbs or so last year but with a move, vacation and life in general we have both gained everything back

Now for some reason we are having trouble getting back on plan and doing what we did last time. Now we are trying to find something new to try and WW online seems interesting.

Anyone have good/bad experiences with it? Is it worth the $18 a month each?

Thanks for any insight!
Papillion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 372 / 326 / 172

Height: 5'8"

I was a member a while ago so my experience is not up-to-date. Back then you were basically paying for a script that tells you how many points you can eat. There was a message board - but hey this one is free. There were recipes but google is amazing and free. There is a food/point tracker, but again you can access free calorie trackers on most smartphones (and normal web-based ones).

If you would rather deal with points then I suppose ww would work for you. But really points and calories are almost synonymous. For me it is better (and much cheaper) to simply count calories and utilize the free tools available to me.
Sophiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #3  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I did it and I tried the meetings. Weight watchers was not for me. I do way better with calorie counting. I do like how all fruits and veggies are free on weight watchers, I think it makes it more encouraging to eat them. But I think it is expensive and not worth it.

I have tried every single calorie counting website, I am sure of it. Also most, if not all of the iPhone apps. So here is a quick review of each.

Fit day is awesome but very basic, I lost a lot of weight using it. It was the main one at the time, lots of prettier ones now.

Calorie count/livestong is by far the best website to me, but I refuse to pay $2.99 for their iphone app that doesn't even have good reviews.

Sparkpeople - used it for a long time, site is a bit clunky but it has so much stuff, I do not like the iphone app, very clunky and time confusing.

my fitness pal - website sucks, but their iphone app is utterly amazing and thus making it my current calorie counter of choice. But honestly, if you are doing it on the computer - don't use this one.

As for the weight watchers site/app - the site was good, lots of recipes that I enjoyed it. It was just expensive for a pretty calorie counter that does points instead of calories. My friend has the app, she hasn't said much about it - I haven't tried it. She seems to like it okay.

Hope this random post helps in some way.

Last edited by sotypical; 04-05-2011 at 12:06 PM.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #4  

Height: 5' 5"

I tried WW online last year- so I have no experience with the new program. I found the site rife with technical issues that annoyed me. I agree with the PPs that it is a lot of money to spend for a tracking system. Yes, you can find the point allotment of food items on the site, but it was so complicated that it was useless to me.
I believe it is fully possible to "do" the WW program for free with info off the internet- but it's still just a fancy method of calorie counting.
Just an FYI, if you register on the message boards, you can access them even without a paid WW membership. I still like coming here better, though
M0vingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #5  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0vingon View Post
I believe it is fully possible to "do" the WW program for free with info off the internet- but it's still just a fancy method of calorie counting.
I agree with this, if you stick to using the OLD ww method. The new method is more confusing and all the information online is for the OLD one. The new one has raised the points value for most foods and made all fruit and veggies zero. There is also no NEW free calculator for new points values, but you can find some for the old one.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #6  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I tried WW online. I tried SparkPeople. I tried LoseIt.com. I've tried all manner of online programs, and I just don't have it in me to keep up with it if it's all up to me.

I joined WW in person last month. It's $19.95 for the first month (special promo) then $39.95 per month after that. I know it sounds like a lot of money, but I needed the commitment, if that makes any sense. Whether you both join online or not, whether the money is worth it, will really depend on what you get out of it.

I like the Points Plus program and I'm finding it really easy to follow.
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190.2/178.4/150

Height: 5'5

I love WW online. I joined back in September and have lost about 30 pounds (most of it within the 1st 4 months). They have a great recipe builder that I utilized alot. I actually just cancelled my online membership and I am going to do it on my own, I bought the dining out guide, food guide and points calculator. I think it worked so well for me because it taught me correct portion sizes which was my main problem. I can pretty much eyeball one ounce of cheese, 4 ounces of meat, etc. now

Another thing that helped me was the fact I was paying for it. My membership runs out at the end of the month so I am diligently tracking until then to get myself back in the habit.
Jelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 261/240.8/180

Height: 5'10"

Thanks for all the great insight. Last time we just counted calories and it worked well (used Livestrong). For some reason this time it just seems so much harder to get going.

I think it may be because we are starting over as well as the fact that I am currently not working (going to school a couple nights a week) and my husband works at home. Also, we moved to a new city that is a lot harder to track when going out. This city has tons of independent places we go to (with no nutrition facts available) while the city we moved from has almost all chain restaurants which is much easier to track.

If we can't get back on track soon I may try WW online just to get motivated and restart. Maybe something different (points instead of calories) while essentially the same will help. I am also getting ready to start my summer camp job which always help shed the weight.

Anyway, thanks again for the responses. You have all given me a lot to ponder.
Papillion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #9  

S/C/G: H 286/S 196/C 187/G 155

Height: 5'7.5"

I recently joined WW online after losing 100 pounds a few years ago with WW (with using free stuff). I really enjoy the program and I am good at keeping myself in check. I joined during the free registration just so I could be a member to buy the new calculator and books.
crysrenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 207/198/170

Height: 5'9"

Thank you! You just reminded me to go cancel my initial subscription! I was about to be billed for another month I found that weight watchers was not for me. I had a heck of a time remembering to log what I had eaten, or find point values for foods that I wanted to eat/had eaten. I felt that I was constantly guessing and I didn't feel accountable.

I know a few people that have been very successful on WW's, so I can't knock it. It just wasn't for me
Reasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #11  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I really like the Points Plus program so far. I haven't been hungry, and I've been able to work real life food, drinks, and 'treats' into my points with no problems. I don't have any issues remembering to track either. I have the website bookmarked at home and at work, and I have apps on my iPhone and iPad.

In fact, I was in line getting a beer at the Duran Duran concert at Foxwoods Saturday night, and I broke out the iPhone to add my dinner and that beer to my tracker! LOL!

That reminds me... I still have to eat four daily points today, so I'm going to get a snack!
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:24 AM   #12  

Hi -

Stacie here, 33 years old and exhausted from trying to LOSE WEIGHT!!.
StacieD83 is offline   Reply With Quote